Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Access

Clements Road would be a great place to start. Find a camp site along the road and keep going back. I have found with hunting Sika is that you need to be really really slow. Once you come accross some fresh shit slow right down. I have found using binoculars to be useful in the bush too. Take a couple of steps, stop look all around using the binos. carry on a few more steps. Its painfully slow but it will get you a deer. You might only walk a couple of kms and on the plus side you will have a much shorter walk out.
    Another thing you can do is walk in for an hour or two and camp, the deer will just a bit less spooky.
    Use google Earth and Wams to identify likely spots and get amongst it .
    It might take you a while before you have success but if you persevere it will happen. It might just take a few years.
    Other places worth looking would be the Ureweras (some good campsites off the Waikaremoana road past Ruatahuna), Pureora (around Piropiro is a good base). Kaimais,
    I havent hunted the Ruahines but it sounds like theres a few in there too.

One last thing, get a copy of Saxton and Lentles Red Deer in New Zealand, it was invaluable to me when I was starting out. Your local library may have a copy.

Chur.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    You got that sorted. Hopefully someone up that way can help you out.
    Cheers mate, highly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Clements Road would be a great place to start. Find a camp site along the road and keep going back. I have found with hunting Sika is that you need to be really really slow. Once you come accross some fresh shit slow right down. I have found using binoculars to be useful in the bush too. Take a couple of steps, stop look all around using the binos. carry on a few more steps. Its painfully slow but it will get you a deer. You might only walk a couple of kms and on the plus side you will have a much shorter walk out.
    Another thing you can do is walk in for an hour or two and camp, the deer will just a bit less spooky.
    It might take you a while before you have success but if you persevere it will happen. It might just take a few years.
    Other places worth looking would be the Ureweras (some good campsites off the Waikaremoana road past Ruatahuna), Pureora (around Piropiro is a good base). Kaimais,

One last thing, get a copy of Saxton and Lentles Red Deer in New Zealand, it was invaluable to me when I was starting out. Your local library may have a copy.

Chur.
    Cheers for that, i've learnt to take "clearings" on google early with a grain of salt hahaha. I'll definately have a read, sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post

Chur.
    What do i look for on google earth for likely spots?

Also any good books you would recommend for sika?
    Last edited by BLR-Bushpig; 15-01-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Look for clearings, slips, river flats.
    How to hunt Sika deer by Alan Simmons is good. Hunting magazines and hunting forums are all bloody useful.
    BLR-Bushpig likes this.

Try the Hunting Spot X book some good info in them.