Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Airgun pellets - How light is too light in spring guns ?

Transonic flight video, what it is and its relation to pellets.
    https://youtu.be/HpDKxVuRWto
    Cordite, Inder and Billbob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I purchased a really nice Diana .177 but after zeroing the damn thing just simply would not shoot - at 25 metres would not even group an inch -frustrated at what I saw as a very nice air rifle I tried a mix of pellets .Aha it shot heavy pellets and hated light ones -I cant remember the weights but one brand called wolverine came down to near key hole groups -the only frustrating thing was so many pellets did not have the weight on packet - still had a mate with kids and an older BSA (huge difference in power ) that shot the light ones so spare light pellets gave hours of pleasure to the muppets
    There's a good chance that the lighter pellets were getting into the unstable air flow speed. The heavier pellets slowed the speed to under it. (not that it matters you solved it thru cause and effect reasoning.)

Thanks guys
    Advice much appreciated.
    Will post test results.
    Airguns web Sites are quiet. Have got more response here.
    T.FOYE and kruza like this.

I always had luck with exacts (NOT express(loose)
    and the h&n heavier ones. All my airguns. I've got tonnes of pellets if you're after some to try

you might find some useful info here https://hardairmagazine.com/ballistic-coefficients/
    as well as bc a lot have weight, head size percentage, cleanliness, deformities etc etc. per tin.

while talking pellets can anyone who uses or has used JSB exact jumbo diabolo 15.89gr tell me what you thought of them. possibly the fpi or fps (or metric) If you have the info.Gun shot through. They have sparked my interest as they are in the gr size my gun likes and I'm assuming that being jumbo have a slightly longer body, which seems to be better for flight stability. However as I have tins of none suitable pellets I've randomly brought to try I'd thought I'd try for a bit of info from ppl to see if it sways me for trying them or not. General pellet quality, weight variation per tin head size variation etc if ya have be good too. After real life info from being shot out doors as that's the environment I shoot in.

Quote Originally Posted by kruza View Post
    while talking pellets can anyone who uses or has used JSB exact jumbo diabolo 15.89gr tell me what you thought of them. possibly the fpi or fps (or metric) If you have the info.Gun shot through. They have sparked my interest as they are in the gr size my gun likes and I'm assuming that being jumbo have a slightly longer body, which seems to be better for flight stability. However as I have tins of none suitable pellets I've randomly brought to try I'd thought I'd try for a bit of info from ppl to see if it sways me for trying them or not. General pellet quality, weight variation per tin head size variation etc if ya have be good too. After real life info from being shot out doors as that's the environment I shoot in.
    I havent got exacts in .22 at the moment - got JSB Stratton 15.89gr which you have seen the results through my CR600w and they are preforming amazingly. Ive just got a tin of .25 JSB Hades to test and just the quality in the look of them is awesome. There are quite a few youtube videos on the Hades with awesome results they may be a perfect pellet for your hunting - check out Teds Hold Over for his test
    Localman and kruza like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Thanks guys
    Advice much appreciated.
    Will post test results.
    Airguns web Sites are quiet. Have got more response here.
    Hows the pellet testing going

Havent been able to get out with the airgun for a few weeks but will report back when I can.
    kruza likes this.

The power plant on a hw95 in 0.177 is identical to that in a 0.22 so no risk going as light as 8gr for you 0.22. Like others have suggested it's more a matter of finding the right pellet for your gun (light or heavy) that results in the tightest grouping. I am a fan of Pellpax and Crosman pointed pellets: decent price and very good accuracy. H&N field target trophy are a good generic pellet to start with and are available in 0.22 in 500 qty tins. H&N also make slightly different diameter pellets eg in 0.177 4.50, 4.51, 4.52mm. I haven't played around with these to understand the effect od smaller / larger diameter on power or accuracy - anyone else? Different brands and models certainly can be tight or loose when pushing them into the breech.

Ive mucked around with h&n ftt sorting them into weight and head size. In my gamo the 5.52mm head size definitly preformed better. ( note, this was for my rifle and in no way should be considered the same for other guns) The variation in head size per tin is rather suprising. Ive changed barrel and differnt pellets are now shooting more acurate. Ive narrowed it down to three and if the rain ever stops ill size and weight the most accurate tin for the most accurate size or weight. That then becomes what i fine tune my gun to shoot with. Those pellets that meet the standard become hunting pellets. The rest of tin genral plinkers that I compensate for as im shooting.
    Might sound over board but pellet consistancy is an issue with some brands. Example is a gamo magnium tin I tried,some were lose enough that one fell out closing barrel, 3 wanted so much pressure to fit in the barrel I didnt use them. That tin is wasted money. A tin of white pellets I brought were so damaged,dirty and misformed i didnt even bother with them.
    Unfortunatly although there are companies that have consistancy at a good level its not the rule of thumb in my experiance.
    Yes tightness, weight ,pellet form do affect grouping, espially at distance in my experiance.

Thanks @Jwabfrog I hadnt thought of the “powerplant” comparison. I wonder if the smaller bore gives more resistance to the air or uf the springs are identical.

This was really the question I was asking: “how light would a pellet need to be before you damage your gun ?” Or
    “Whats the lightest pellet I can shoot out of my 22 HW95 ?”

In looking at increasing power for
    a 1322 I just got, an increase of port size increases air flow on discharge helping to increase power, so I'm assuming a smaller port will increase resistance. probly be something a pcp shooter could tell you. they deal with ports and valves as standard.

Thanks Kruza.

It's a spring gun and I'm worried about breaking the spring, piston etc if the pellet is too light and its half way like dry firing it.

buy a new spring. Get a new seal kit. Don't shoot anything that might damage bore, then give it hell. The problem is doing damage you can't fix, really.
    what might seem great now, could be not great longer term.