Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 1 Post By Josan
  • 4 Post By northdude

Thread: Anyone hunting small game, with a PCP air rifle.

Anyone hunting small game, with a PCP air rifle.

After mulling it over for months, I finally bit the bullet and ordered my first decent air rifle, a FX dreamline in .25 cal, still to get an air tank, but have a nitrogen tank, and can top off with the hand pump till I do. changeable barrel so I will get a .177 or .22 when they come back in stock.
    How noisy are they compared to a .22 rimfire, and who's hunting with one.

Was in the US a few weeks back and a guy at the range was shooting exactly what you've ordered. We had a bit of chat- he's a had a heap of various PCPs. Offered to let me shoot it but I had to get back to my buddy's heap of toys

Mine's a Daystate Airwolf FAC in .22. Super accurate if not light. Any rabbit is sure dead meat under 60yds if I have any sort of rest. Have shot them and maggies out past 90yds at times. It has a suppressor and it's reasonably quiet I'd say.

I'd be a bit wary of using a hand pump as they introduce moisture into the system which will eventually cause havoc.

Over the years I would have shot maybe 30 rabbits fom my house, usually from an upstairs window, with my aged .22 Theoben Rapid 7.
    Similar range to 6x47. In fact I measured the various distances out and have a drop chart posted on the wall near the window

Problem now is the rabbits seem to have wised up and know the lethal zone and tend to stay just beyond that. Even the next generations seem to now pick up on it quickly. Unfortunately my place is not suitable for 22 rfs. Had one hideous ricochet which put my off using the rf.
    I have got away with longer shots than 60 yardsish but tend to avoid them as I have missed head shots and had wounded rabbits needing extra shots to finish off. Not good.

I use a dive bottle. Couldn't be bothered with a hand pump. Also have a spare buddy bottle so I don't have to take the dive bottle with me if going to the range for a plink.

Shot without the suppressor once and was surprised at how loud the "crack" was. Initially thought the suppressor was just cosmetic but it certainly does work.
    Steelisreal likes this.

Have a look at some of the UK websites they are very popular over here.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

northdude
    i was for a while and still have mine been meaning to dust it off and get out with it again walther barrel accurate as fuk its an airforce talon

I used to get out with mine every other week on the orchards, haven't for a while but should get back into it. I have a couple of custom builds from @Wingman, a Zbroia Hortitsia and a Zbroia Kozak. Have had head shots out to 120m back when I had the Edgun Matador

northdude
    My lical ds has the airgun guys shooting there on a little range going to pop over next time and start shooting there as well the way things are going we might be going back to airguns

Shooting every second night with one at the mo. In behind a built up area. Its quieter than .22 subs silenced but still makes a bit of a noise. Im ok with it out to about 40 meters dead cert, beyond that not always, especially the smaller rabbits.

Thanks headcase, yours suppressed ?
    Arrived today, and I am on shift for next two weeks, dark when I leave, dark by the time I get home, Next days off, I get it set up.

yes it came with a suppressor mounted. An Air Arms Galahad HP PCP. Certainly not the most expensive on the market but the rotary mag and the push pull cocking lever all work well. Heavy though. I put a Trail Thermal on the top when in use with the quick mount rail. Just honing the skills with it now feeling my way out beyond 50 meters.. Get a cylinder quick as you can. The ''dive'' air is dryer than that youd pump in by hand so less internal moisture in the gun. Thats what I was told anyway..

northdude
    You guys got any pics ill get one of mine up,as well

Got a Brocock Compatto .22 which is good for small game. 19" Lothar Walther barrel, 8-shot magazine. It's got a shrouded barrel and is pretty quiet even without a silencer. Groups within 1cm with JSB Jumbos at 50m. Tuned down to 22 fpe to maximize shot count and sweet spot (it's not regulated). 55 shots on one fill. Good for an extended hunting session.
    Name:  BC22mk2.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  80.3 KB
    berg243 likes this.

Which small game are you hunting in the Netherlands?

Well, hunting with air rifles is not allowed in the Netherlands. You have to take your air rifle to other (European) countries with different legislation. Hunting laws are different in each country and there are very diverse power restrictions on airguns throughout Europe. In the Netherlands there are no power restrictions, while in Germany they are only allowed 5 fpe airguns, unless you have a fire arm permit for them. It's quite complicated to know what's allowed and what not when you take an airgun abroad.
    The .22 Brocock as shown is suitable for birds that are considered pest birds in some places like doves, woodpigeons, crows, magpies, starlings and mammals like rats, rabbits, hare. All with well placed shots of course.

northdude
    Name:  20191003_185156.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  4.30 MB