Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: BACK YARD RABBITS

Quote Originally Posted by Josan View Post
    I..
    Damaged breech seal .. could also be a reason. ..
    Had that exact problem with my BSA Supersport. It was originally quite accurate (for a springer) but found it had gone to pieces when I dragged it out. Replaced the breech seal and she was away again.

Back yard rabbits still a problem – got a couple more in the Fenn but about three out there most nights digging holes. Got very light shy and run fast – but couple of nights back one sat still so had a standing shot at about 40m – he squealed and ran off. Walked over towards him and nearly tripped over one laying flat about 10m away. Put the light in my pocket and loaded the Stoeger – light back on and he was still there - aimed for the engine room and heard the thump – but he ran off. Dog found it next day – it ran about 40m. Hit it just behind the front legs – internals were pulverised – the slug was under the skin on other side – slightly depressed and miss shaped. So the hollow point certainly delivers some shock power even when not hitting any bones. Couldn’t find the poor buggar that squealed.

Name:  20210714_092544 (2).jpg
Views: 475
Size:  387.3 KB

Name:  20210714_092500 (2).jpg
Views: 475
Size:  387.1 KB

Name:  20210714_095031 (2).jpg
Views: 469
Size:  140.9 KB

From experience slugs just don’t have the ‘smack’ to quickly drop a rabbit shot in the body - my experience was when using a 22 BSA Meteor
    quentin likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Try theseName:  AC63B227-0A25-4F94-BB12-33DDFF483B7D.jpeg
Views: 521
Size:  2.41 MB
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    @time out try youngs airguns and get a packet of slugs not pellets. they sell fx slugs in .22 , only thing is you have to get 400.
    The slugs need more power they are designed for pcp users.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    From experience slugs just don’t have the ‘smack’ to quickly drop a rabbit shot in the body - my experience was when using a 22 BSA Meteor
    The Meteor is quite low on power by today's standards, probably only half the energy that this Cometa with be running at.

It looks like the rabbiter hollow tip slugs deliver some serious shock – got this girl today at about 15m – just behind the shoulder and just under the backbone – one entry hole but no exit – backbone was smashed – she went about half a meter and flopped - four young inside – so five that wont dig anymore holes.
    Name:  20210828_144831 (2) 3.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  162.8 KB
    Dundee, Mintie and Micky Duck like this.

years back we shot thousands of rats at rubbish dump...and I mean thousands over many nights...pointed pellets do penertrate well...too well for rats,rounded are better but flat are the best at delivering all the energy in a hurry ...rabbits might be better off with pointed ones who poke hole right through. cheap waisted pellets like we used as kids work great.
    for blackbirds on back lawn pointed or rounded work fine,no reason they wont be as good on rabbits. not a fan of the super light and fast ones.
    time out likes this.

I have to say that I have a nitro piston Gamo Black Bull which has the gas piston setup, yet to test it at any distance but it's already snotted a couple of possums. Heaps of grunt and not much recoil. I tried a Weihrauch high powered springer air rifle a few years ago and... the recoil and vibration was definitely nasty.
    time out likes this.

Shot a bunny few weeks ago with slug pellet went thru shoulder abd 7nder the skin on ither side.Rabbit babg flop
    time out likes this.

One less lawn digger - if all else fails – just check the Fenn tunnel each day for a head shot
    Name:  20211228_091842.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  139.9 KB
    Trout likes this.