Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: beginner varmint hunter

don't get a new rifle, get into reloading now if you already have a .243 - you have one of the best Dual Purpose calibers around.

get a better varmint style stock if you have to - a better dual purpose scope - get out there and do it.

R.
    Ranal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by planb View Post
    Thanks Guys for all the information its alot to absorb and process.

realistically I dont think I will shoot more than 100 rounds a year from this gun but I would like to think I will.
    I do own a rem 700 in .243 already which I have had the barrel floated properly,action bedded and trigger lightened. it has a sporter barrel on it and no suppressor. I use this rifle for deer and would rather have a separate rifle for varmint shooting.

Im happy to use a longer heavy barrel on a varmint rig as I plan on setting up in a likely spot and glassing for targets.
    theres not alot of crown land around here that would be suitable for shooting over 50m as its quite dense bush. most of my shooting will be done on private land and open forestry areas.

so to recap. with a .223 ill have more versatility with a range of projectiles but if only using as a varmint rig better off with a 1-12 twist over a 1-8 ?
    and if only using as a varmint rig it maybe a better option to go for the .204 and learn to reload?

I do plan on learning to reload in time. I have been looking at the savage model 12 fcv as well as the model 12 low profile and also wondered if the model 10 predator would make a good option due to its 24 inch barrel medium contour barrel making it slightly lighter but really its only half a pound.
    ive never really been a big fan of tikka but ive never owned one, they just dont come up well on me.

when a suppressor is fitted to a varmint rig how many inchs would i expect to be taken off? giving a final length of...?
    Howa made some 1:12 twist 223s but their mini action is a 1:7 I think. They make a good platform for varmint rigs too.

As for length, most suppressors stick out 3 inches (ish) from the muzzle so if you dont want your rifle getting too long then take that much off and it stays the same overall length. But if you are unsure, don't shorten it. You can always rethread it later and drop another inch off for about $70, but adding it back on one it is gone is effectively impossible as you will likely have a rebarrel and start again type task....The reason most shorten barrels when suppressing is to offset any weight gain and length. With a varminter this is not really an issue so the decision is all yours.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by planb View Post

so to recap. with a .223 ill have more versatility with a range of projectiles but if only using as a varmint rig better off with a 1-12 twist over a 1-8 ?
    and if only using as a varmint rig it maybe a better option to go for the .204 and learn to reload?
    A 1:8 twist let's you shoot higher b.c bullets which will come into effect after around 300 yards. To go with it a dialable scope to dial out error.
    A 1:12 is relying on fast flat shooting light bullets, where often shooters don't use a dialable scope as there is little error in a flat bullet trajectory, yet this may only work to about 300 yards with success. Sure you can use a dialable scope on this set up. But after 300 bullet bc is your friend.

Hay mate

My advise would be along the same lines as others.

get your self a fast twist barrel in a t3 and buy the best binos you can afford.

SiB
    Get a small off cut of closed cell foam to sit on and you're sorted. (Piece off a sleeping mat or thinner is amazing for comfort)

How did you go with this?
    I loved my Tikka .223 in 12 twist.. shot the 50-55 grain loads like lazers.

Will get another when funds allow. Had to sell to get a Nightforce scope that was too good to miss out on!

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Hey Plan B
    All the advice above is spot on. If you read between the lines, you will end up with 2 rifles ... which is what I have.
    For static varminting - a .204 sporter varmint barrel (Kimber), turret scope up to 20 power (Zeiss) with a suppressor (MAE) and a nice trigger job, bipod & 10X power bino's ... and a pain to carry.
    For walk-around farm varminting - a .233 normal barrel, mildot scope up to 14 power with a nice trigger & 10X power bino's ... and way easier to carry.
    General comments - if you burn out a barrel, then that's just wonderful as you will have done a shed load of shooting. If there is a chance of pigs - take the .243, but I have shot plenty of pigs with my .223. Wind - with the distances you are shooting this won't be too much of an issue. I shoot Tekapo heaps with my .204 and I use the iStrelok iPhone app and just dial it in. I'm consistently nailing vermin out to 400yds in 10-15mph winds. Harris bipod as a minimum as the cheaper ones will rust. Bino's - you will only ever need one pair in your LIFE so invest in quality. Over 15 years, I bought 3 pairs before buying Leica but I couldn't afford the big ones so only have the ultralight ones. Optics - never underestimate the pleasure of shooting through a good scope. Once again - invest here (before the Leica's). I am thinking of putting a very lightweight suppressor on my walk-up .223 as its just so much more pleasurable for a little more weight.
    All the best - keep safe in the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    223 1:8 twist.
    It depends on how far you want to shoot. If max 200 either calibre will do. But personally I wouldn't go lower than .224. Rabbits and the likes are small. high magnification scopes are good. 20+ power is good. Just keep in mind if shots are close you want a fairly low magnification too. I get by with a minimum of 6.5 power scope.
    Range finding binos are good. Take a look at the Bushnell fusion. Again fairly high power is good. I think the bigger ones are 12 power.
    Round count or barrel life is subjective. It depends on how tight a group you expect.
    Tight groups are handy with small critters, therefore i recommend the tikka 223 1:8 twist, they usually group tight. And if you, or if you move into hand loading the 1:8 really comes into its own.
    Hand loading gives you the ability to shrink those groups down further again, and use heavier higher BC bullets to better buck the wind. Or more suitable weights for the pigs you may find.
    I agree about the Tikka .223 1:8,I aquired one before Christmas and I'm lovin it.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    All good advice all I can add is what I use for varmint shooting I use a 222 and shoot 55 gn bullets in that one my other rig/ rigs are a couple of 22 hornets the 222 and one hornet have 4x12x42 scopes and the other hornet has a 3x9x40 and the hornets shoot 35gn bullets you'll need to hand load to get a hornet accurate
    I too shot a Hornet,great calibre.

northdude
    old thread but may as well keep it going. After a few targets the other day i took one of the hornets for a walk as im quite happy shooting magpies as they are quite a challenge sometimes ended up getting 2 with the krico hornet