Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: booming rabbits

booming rabbits

I went to waikanae for rabbits hunting last weekend at a private land, just noticed that the rabbit population is much bigger than before, don't know why. If the population also getting bigger in central Otago, that will be a serious problem for local farmers.

Cole
    Haven’t they recently released some sort of virus to kill them off? Similar to Calici (or how ever ya spell it)?

Could be wrong but thought it was a thing

Last virus drop was earlier this year that i know of. Think it was wellington and maybe as far as kapiti?? I shoot rabbits in horowhenua/manawatu and no drop in numbers here. But definitely spring time boom at the mo!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Its spring, rabbit numbers are up at this time of year. Be happy and shoot the bugger
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by windywelly View Post
    I went to waikanae for rabbits hunting last weekend at a private land, just noticed that the rabbit population is much bigger than before, don't know why. If the population also getting bigger in central Otago, that will be a serious problem for local farmers.
    There's no more problem than usual if your a pro- active farmer as you already have all the control methods you need to keep things under control.
    However if your the type of farmer who sits back and waits for other people to sort your problem out then it will also be business as usual with rabbit numbers... you'll have plenty running around.
    rossi.45 and Harryg like this.

at the moment my cats are bringing the beggers home at a fair rate,,only the young tho
    chainsaw likes this.

Cole
    Quote Originally Posted by 264 magic View Post
    at the moment my cats are bringing the beggers home at a fair rate,,only the young tho
    Same here. I take them off the cats and skin and gut them otherwise I end up with guts and fur under the bed!

4 in the DoC trap, 4 in the neighbours pool, cat got 3, and I bomb them up every weekend, and they still keep coming. This is on top of most of the neighbours having pindone out. We did notice a big increase when they cut the expressway through the land by Marycrest.
    Other than that, it seems to be a spring baby rabbit explosion.

Has anyone had any success controlling rabbits with Pindone? - if so - what sort of bait stations or safety structures were used to keep public and dogs safe?
    Has anyone found control with Pindone to be a failure? - suppliers indicate an adult rabbit needs to eat 21 pellets to kill them

Its very good at killing birds and other critters by secondary poisoning. Bullets, traps, gas, nets and ferrets are cleaner ways of killing rabbits.
    tetawa and berg243 like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Whilst seasonal variations can sometimes make it look like numbers are up, in the Ruapehu District numbers are definitely up. Well up. All the cockies have mentioned it, cruising around on the bike they're bloody everywhere, its particularly noticeable on the higher country where I hunt a lot. Around the homesteads and yards I reckon you can put your finger on one main reason - most of the feral cats are gone after a concerted effort to take them out with trapping, which has been very successful.
    Just...say...the...word

I'm not sure all of the unintended pindone kills are secondary poisoning. Some of the neighbors run it, and all I see eating it is birds. You would have to be pretty diligent to open the bait station during night hours only, so the birds won't be in there. The bait stations I see being used would not stop dogs getting into it - effectively what looks like a downpipe, with holes cut out the side, and the pellets thrown in the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Its very good at killing birds and other critters by secondary poisoning. Bullets, traps, gas, nets and ferrets are cleaner ways of killing rabbits.
    Did not think Pindone 2nd killed ???
    Brodifacoum works on stomach rupture/hemorage
    Only way "I thought" any chance of 2nd kill be if the 2nd animal ate the intire stomach contents of dead animal
    Highly unlikely as most die in their own nests
    Last edited by Sarvo; 18-12-2019 at 02:38 PM.

dunno about welly , plenty of here in canterbury.
    booming rabbits? well i hot a hare with a 7mmRM. it didnt go boom, it just turned to vapour (just under a km too)

Back on Da Rabbit explosion
    Yes - beggars are creating a prob here in the vegi garden - wiped out heaps of cabbage plants - all parsley - blue berries
    So - neighbour has got some Pindone Rabbit poison and trying it out
    Problem here - before you all start sayn shoot the critters - we literally in bush and seeing them even at night in light is rare and near on impossible to ever get a shot at them
    Thermal is good - if I had one :-(
    time out likes this.