Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Do subsonics scare rabbits?

Do subsonics scare rabbits?

Will subsonics and a suppressed rifle give you much chance to make multiple kills in a group of rabbits or will the rest bolt away by the time you can take a second shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
    Will subsonics and a suppressed rifle give you much chance to make multiple kills in a group of rabbits or will the rest bolt away by the time you can take a second shot?
    Depends how smart/educated they are

Same with all game, the ones close can hear it go, its impact & sometimes don't like it

The real advantage as the ones that aren't in close proximity have no idea

agree.....sometimes the noise of the bolt cycling will scare them more than the phiit thump of the shot....
    Old_School likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Banned
    If you head shoot them your subbies will scare them to death
    Scouterkotare and Old_School like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    agree.....sometimes the noise of the bolt cycling will scare them more than the phiit thump of the shot....
    Noise is a funny thing, was on a farm raceway one night, Mate was driving the rattly old farm Hilux, came around a corner a Possum was 15m away happily grazing the grass, I clicked the safety off on the 10-22 & instantaneously he was out of there, how he heard it & decided it was bad news over the din of the Hilux goodness only knows

Yeah, I generally find if I do my bit the opportunity to get scared has passed. If the rest of them are under pressure/not feeling fully secure in their environment they'll bolt at the first sign of 'different' and it doesn't necessarily need to be from hunting. I've been quietly lining a bunch up and seen a Myna scoot overhead and that was enough to spoke them down their burrows...
    Old_School likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Noise is a funny thing, was on a farm raceway one night, Mate was driving the rattly old farm Hilux, came around a corner a Possum was 15m away happily grazing the grass, I clicked the safety off on the 10-22 & instantaneously he was out of there, how he heard it & decided it was bad news over the din of the Hilux goodness only knows
    Did you stop or slow the ute? That's enough - if you keep going at the same speed they happily sit there raising an index claw at you. Change speed or stop, different story.
    TeRei likes this.

I have found with subs that they generally dont frighten after the first shot. The noise they hear to is usually the impact of the bullet into the ground (whther it passes through a rabbit first or not....) If the shot hits something behind them, then more often that not they will run away from that sound which will be towards the shooter. this tells me they have not heard the shot from the rifle itself or if they have they identified it as where the impact was.

I suspect a large part of this is the sound of the shot being fired is travelling at close to the same speed s the projectile and as both arrive close to the same moment, the location of the impact masks the location of the source....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Did you stop or slow the ute? That's enough - if you keep going at the same speed they happily sit there raising an index claw at you. Change speed or stop, different story.
    We stopped beside him & he was as happy as until I clicked the safety off

I often used to use shotgun from moving vechille on spooky rabbits,no stopping meant they hadnt bolted yet...too late by then.
    Old_School likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

A thump from any source is a universal signal "danger fuck off sharpish" to our rabbit friends .Same as the old hind thumping a hoof if shes suspicious.

Possums catch em when theyre horny and you could shove a 12g up their jacksies -they wouldnt notice as its all poontang!

I shot 4one sunny afternoon just beside my landlord cockie cowshed as he was milking .yup me cats &dog was going for a wee spot of bunny busting when the great white bwana happened upon the intending gang bang
    Madam skips up log goes head down tail up and no 1 comes bowling in ready to go -...shit a dynapoint .22 slug completely removed any desire from his brain to carry on .No2 quick as a flash gets ready to take his mates place =mounts her -woops bloody dynapoint again and thats two twitching carcasses beside the log . my attentive audeience distracted me momentarily and as i swung back good ol no3 boyo was hard at it -the soundtrack akin to a mad pissed gypsy ochestra-
    woop woop incoming contraception shot -sorry you wanted head we gave you head as he landed with a thump on top of two dead mates!@
    Madam having lost three suitors and the pleasure was clearly in a "fuck off" human mood scuttling up a branch ,rearing up hissing and spitting like a cobra with its tail caught in the charwallahs bike chain
    As the trusty Stirling uttered the reply landlord arrived on the scene very happy id removed a further four of those pesky possums that keep the wife and babies awake at night.
    All four although juveniles were in primo nick .

couple of nights later as i let dog out for his bedtime leak he erupp ted in a fury -yup a dopey possum was wedged by his nedk twixt rafters and iron in the carport .I ended his struggled blinded by my own pipe smoke although the barrel was only a couple of inches from his swede!
    they love bloody fruit trees too and i bowled a few thatta way as well./
    Last edited by kotuku; 17-07-2023 at 03:26 PM.
    Moa Hunter and Padawan like this.

it was more worried about getting run over. As you were

Even with subs and a suppressor Flopsy doing a sudden bit of "break dancing" next to Flipsy and Peter tends to break up the party I've found
    Micky Duck and Ronin007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    A thump from any source is a universal signal "danger fuck off sharpish" to our rabbit friends .Same as the old hind thumping a hoof if shes suspicious.

Possums catch em when theyre horny and you could shove a 12g up their jacksies -they wouldnt notice as its all poontang!

I shot 4one sunny afternoon just beside my landlord cockie cowshed as he was milking .yup me cats &dog was going for a wee spot of bunny busting when the great white bwana happened upon the intending gang bang
    Madam skips up log goes head down tail up and no 1 comes bowling in ready to go -...shit a dynapoint .22 slug completely removed any desire from his brain to carry on .No2 quick as a flash gets ready to take his mates place =mounts her -woops bloody dynapoint again and thats two twitching carcasses beside the log . my attentive audeience distracted me momentarily and as i swung back good ol no3 boyo was hard at it -the soundtrack akin to a mad pissed gypsy ochestra-
    woop woop incoming contraception shot -sorry you wanted head we gave you head as he landed with a thump on top of two dead mates!@
    Madam having lost three suitors and the pleasure was clearly in a "fuck off" human mood scuttling up a branch ,rearing up hissing and spitting like a cobra with its tail caught in the charwallahs bike chain
    As the trusty Stirling uttered the reply landlord arrived on the scene very happy id removed a further four of those pesky possums that keep the wife and babies awake at night.
    All four although juveniles were in primo nick .

couple of nights later as i let dog out for his bedtime leak he erupp ted in a fury -yup a dopey possum was wedged by his nedk twixt rafters and iron in the carport .I ended his struggled blinded by my own pipe smoke although the barrel was only a couple of inches from his swede!
    they love bloody fruit trees too and i bowled a few thatta way as well./
    Ha, riding the quad up a bush track about 11pm a few years back and in the headlights saw a male and female 'getting it on'........changed down to a lower gear and ran over the top of them. Could have sworn I heard the female screaming "Too deep,Too deep"............just before they expired...

Re rabbits and subsonics/suppressed. If walking and not making too much noise with a spotlight at night. the ones more than 40m away normally look up......then go back to feeding if there is no other noise to send them running. Using an LED light they normally run but I use a halogen bulb spotlight which is slightly yellow and looks like a full moon......Doesnt scare them at all.
    Last edited by Allgood; 17-07-2023 at 05:01 PM.
    TeRei and Micky Duck like this.

We stopped beside him & he was as happy as until I clicked the safety off
    Huh. Fair point about the noise of THAT safety catch. Just wondering if it might have sighted the motion of the barrel getting poked out the window at it - that is another universal 'time to leave' moment. Even in the industrial areas, they will sit tame as all hell and happily chomping right up until the point where you lift your arm up and point at them and then it's all on! Race to 'anywhere the hell else' starting now.