Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hare jerky?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Tularemia, like most nasties that can be found in meat, is killed by heating to a minimum of 75DegC.
    Salt brine should be 2.5 tablespoon of salt per 1kg of meat and just enough water to cover (I put it all in a heavy gauge plastic bag and force all the air out).
    After smoking, put it in a preheated oven at 80DegC for 1/2 an hour and then do your dehydration via whatever method you choose. Or, use a dehydrator on the highest temp setting which I believe gets up to about 30-35DegC.
    If Tula is killed with moderate heat, then the suggestion of heating it in the oven is very sensible. It is a shame we now have this disease in NZ, yet another incursion that we now have to be aware of.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    From a Chef's point of view, Jerky is Jerky, whatever the meat and most commercial brands, have a good dose of MSG along with the salt, sugar and other flavourings.

Regarding the potential for disease and parasites etc, all wild meat is potentially carrying something, in fact they all do, but our digestive systems, deal with all but the most nasty, of the possible bad bugs.

The process of making Jerky means that the initial salt (and sugar) is present in such concentrations, that nasties are killed right then, when the meat is further dried, the lack of water kills what ever may be left.

So in my view, a hunter's inspection of what he's just killed, check liver, check colour, check for rotting, etc, will be enough to ensure that the meat (deer/goat/rabbit/moose) is OK to eat. I can't see why Hare would be any different.

And I quite like a young possum too, older ones can be a bit strong Possums eat all the good bits in the bush.

It is worth remembering that Bacon is just salted pork (belly cut) from when they used to put a pig in a barrel and fillet it up with brine, on the sailing ships of old. They didn't put Nitrates and Nitrites in it until fairly recently. Before then, Bacon was pale, not pink.
    In light of our collective references to Leviticus, I am surprised that Bacon is mentioned, pork not being unclean but an abomination before God ( which does beg the obvious question about creating swine in the first place )

yawn...another thread soon to dissapear..
    hare meat is VERY similar to venison if you treat it the same way...back straps with silerskin removed,same as you do venison backsteaks ,are devine when quick fried.

as for the other "topic of discussion" ...the amelex sacrificed children if my memory serves me correctly.....
    kukuwai likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Tularemia, like most nasties that can be found in meat, is killed by heating to a minimum of 75DegC.
    Salt brine should be 2.5 tablespoon of salt per 1kg of meat and just enough water to cover (I put it all in a heavy gauge plastic bag and force all the air out).
    After smoking, put it in a preheated oven at 80DegC for 1/2 an hour and then do your dehydration via whatever method you choose. Or, use a dehydrator on the highest temp setting which I believe gets up to about 30-35DegC.
    That should read 80-85DegC, not 30-35

I've got 2.5kg of beef round jerky in the smoker now, should be finished around midnight.