Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: How to Get a Magpie.....HELP!

Get a 223.
    7mmTom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Use that new rem mag
    Hard bro, when i get smash em.....

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I have the mp3 file saved to my pc, i can send you the file and you can load it onto phone and play thru a bluetooth speaker etc.

Do you have a 22? I live in town and back onto a reserve with a creek with a sheep paddock behind that, and I smoke the odd pest bird, water rat etc late at night when no one is around. Suppressor and subs, and its no louded than your air rifle ;-)
    Yeah, We also have an HMR but the problem is its still in town and probably not big enought to shoot a .22 or .17HMR...... But yeah, those noises would be good thanks, pm me and I'll give you my email..

I remember, one of the fellas here was using traps to get madgepies. That might work for you easier as lead in the air could get dodgy for the neighbors etc
    Dundee and 7mmTom like this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

They are clever birds with amazing eyesight - once they know you are after them it is hard to get near them
    I know farmers round the Park here that use a magpie cage with mirrors - they get big numbers - 50 to 100 a year
    I bought a magpie cage and a magpie decoy - used it for weeks and never got one - I have been told they are attracted to fat or lard by the cage - didn’t work for me
    I bought an hmr and got a few - but never got on top of them
    Bastard birds that chase any other bird that flies - Kereru and Tui are at risk - hawks just move on and then come back
    7mmTom likes this.

SiB
    We appreciate them on the orchard. Their territorial nature helped keep the fruit eating birds off our orchard
    Fawls and 7mmTom like this.

Get a possom cage trap and bait it with mutton fat,that way the bait won't get fly blown.Name:  0017675001229416905.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  98.4 KB Won't be long and you'll have a magpie grave.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Geez Dundee that amount of dead magpies would get you locked up over here cause they are protected here
    but just as big a pest here as over there
    When they are nesting they attack the kids in the school grounds and the grounds have to be closed off
    If it was me I would be moving the magpies ''Permanently''
    Over here they pretty much eat the same as the crows bugs, meat, grasshoppers, we catch a lot of crows with mince meat
    in a trap or in a chook pen with a spring loaded door with a trip stick and a string way back at the house feed them for a couple
    of days then trip the door whilst they are in there

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    .. if you .. don't kill the first one with the first shot leave it and shoot the others, best I got was six like that ..
    That is very true. If you get a wounded squawker, it attracts others and they attack it. Like you, have had 4-5 on many occasions like this

if its close to your house open the nearest window and close the curtains for that window

put your rifle there and have a comfy chair
    sit down with a book and wait for him to land where it suits you

leave that windows curtains closed permanently and when you see him poke the barrel out and end him
    GWH likes this.

as bait: sardines but the ones in oil or water not chili flavor !

Quote Originally Posted by rigga;689482[U
    ]Geez Dundee that amount of dead magpies would get you locked up over here cause they are protected here [/U]
    but just as big a pest here as over there
    When they are nesting they attack the kids in the school grounds and the grounds have to be closed off
    If it was me I would be moving the magpies ''Permanently''
    Over here they pretty much eat the same as the crows bugs, meat, grasshoppers, we catch a lot of crows with mince meat
    in a trap or in a chook pen with a spring loaded door with a trip stick and a string way back at the house feed them for a couple
    of days then trip the door whilst they are in there
    Wait until you see what we do to Possums.......Do you get green rain?
    slk12 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    if its close to your house open the nearest window and close the curtains for that window

put your rifle there and have a comfy chair
    sit down with a book and wait for him to land where it suits you

leave that windows curtains closed permanently and when you see him poke the barrel out and end him
    I have had to resort to this for starlings at our place, they are also very clever and after wasting 18 of the little bastards in a week I am now having to shoot them from windows and doors guerilla tactics as every time I step outside now they squak there distress call and take off.
    Recording of calls works well in low light on dusk or dawn if I can stay well hidden.
    No starling decoys but I bet with the recording that would work mint.
    FatLabrador and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I have had to resort to this for starlings at our place, they are also very clever and after wasting 18 of the little bastards in a week I am now having to shoot them from windows and doors guerilla tactics as every time I step outside now they squak there distress call and take off.
    Recording of calls works well in low light on dusk or dawn if I can stay well hidden.
    No starling decoys but I bet with the recording that would work mint.
    sparrows in my shed are my current target, breeding season is here and the little shits come inside my shed and scream

the other option for bird control is alpha chloralose
    pre feed them with something then spread the paste on it
    you will still have to finish them off but they will be drunk and slow

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    sparrows in my shed are my current target, breeding season is here and the little shits come inside my shed and scream

the other option for bird control is alpha chloralose
    pre feed them with something then spread the paste on it
    you will still have to finish them off but they will be drunk and slow
    We have plenty of native birds I don't want to kill and I have noticed since removing starlings the natives are coming to our trees more so win/win no starlings in roof and more natives in the trees, have been nailing the occasional sparrow too.