Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: How many rabbts/ hares that one man can harvest in a day?

I use to take the back steaks for the cat but he has advanced kidney disease so is on a special diet.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    I use to take the back steaks for the cat but he has advanced kidney disease so is on a special diet.
    Right, if kidney have issue, high protein food is not very good. Good luck for your cat. My first one died because of kidney failure at age three. It was my fault, lack of knowledge, had given her too many foods from our plates.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall kiwi View Post
    For those that are shooting 100+ rabbits a day, what do you do with the carcasses? Skin and gut 'em and chuck in the freezer? Throw in the bin? Dog food?
    Leave them where they lay,feed the hawks.As 7mm Rem Mag said.
    Borris likes this.

Rabbit numbers vary hugely from area to area. Last year I drove through an area inland from Tutira HB and saw hundreds of rabbits, I was shocked how many there were. On my farm the population has gone down so low I probably see one rabbit per month at the moment.

Few years ago boys popped over 1000 in an evening couple of times in north Canterbury - that's about 6pm to 1pm. Heaven knows what we'd have got shooting a full weekend, but bit lazy for that. Individually you could shoot as many as you liked - I tend to get fairly bored and declare at 100-150 tops! What we did do was note fastest 100, and record was about 43 minutes from @gadgetman.. Great fun. Virus and pindone ended that heyday - now we get 30-60 in an evening from that site.

In last year or so best is 403 from an evening shoot and 1-2 hours in morning. Almost all from truck.

My best in the Hawkes Bay is 1058 on my own for three afternoons. Mainly long range with .223 and .22-250, so there was no need to gut them after shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Few years ago boys popped over 1000 in an evening couple of times in north Canterbury - that's about 6pm to 1pm. Heaven knows what we'd have got shooting a full weekend, but bit lazy for that. Individually you could shoot as many as you liked - I tend to get fairly bored and declare at 100-150 tops! What we did do was note fastest 100, and record was about 43 minutes from @gadgetman.. Great fun. Virus and pindone ended that heyday - now we get 30-60 in an evening from that site.

In last year or so best is 403 from an evening shoot and 1-2 hours in morning. Almost all from truck.
    I heard rabbits in some area has become immured to K5 virus. Great fun, I like rabbit hunting especially with shotgun, and I like smoked rabbits or slow cooked one.
    Moa Hunter and Muttonguts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Rabbit numbers vary hugely from area to area. Last year I drove through an area inland from Tutira HB and saw hundreds of rabbits, I was shocked how many there were. On my farm the population has gone down so low I probably see one rabbit per month at the moment.
    So...are you happy with the number or not?

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    My best in the Hawkes Bay is 1058 on my own for three afternoons. Mainly long range with .223 and .22-250, so there was no need to gut them after shooting.
    MG....1058 in three day! Did it affect rabbit population down there very much?
    which one you feel is best for rabbits, is the 223 or 22-250? 22-250 to me is bit of loud, and not very cost effective compare to my need.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    I heard rabbits in some area has become immured to K5 virus. Great fun, I like rabbit hunting especially with shotgun, and I like smoked rabbits or slow cooked one.
    take out the backstraps/back steaks.... slice into small cubes,place in plastic bag with a little flour or breadcrrumbs and some seasoning,curry powder is OK if you like curry....masterfoods mild steak seasoning is my favourite,closely followed by caisin ..... shake it around to coat the cubes THEN quickfry and scoffemupdelishimo
    hare backsteaks......season and fry same as would do with venison...you will not be able to tell the difference between it and good venison other than size.
    Billbob and Black Rabbit like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

So...are you happy with the number or not?
    Yes I am happy with low rabbit numbers, they are pest animals. 20 years ago we'd shoot 30 every night, but that has changed. Partly it is because the land use has changed, less sheep and less short pasture, more forest and long grass which do not suit rabbits.
    Muttonguts and Black Rabbit like this.

Hey MD, I tried that masterfood seasoning you gave me on some venison steak about a week ago and it was pretty darn good.
    I forgot you gave it to me until I saw it in the pantry so I grabed it and gave it a go.

Cheers MD
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    take out the backstraps/back steaks.... slice into small cubes,place in plastic bag with a little flour or breadcrrumbs and some seasoning,curry powder is OK if you like curry....masterfoods mild steak seasoning is my favourite,closely followed by caisin ..... shake it around to coat the cubes THEN quickfry and scoffemupdelishimo
    hare backsteaks......season and fry same as would do with venison...you will not be able to tell the difference between it and good venison other than size.
    Thank you. I am sure that will be lovely, not tried with rabbits but with a trevally fish once, similar but not exact.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    What I am going to make is like this as picture show, I can do better Rabbit meat do `t have taste, particularly for those farmed, wild rabbits has the particular tastes which you call gamy smell and try to avoid, but that is the key of nice smoked rabbit.

Name:  7b9369e695ddd12c5e724663a288f9cc.jpeg
Views: 177
Size:  309.7 KB

What I am going to make is like this as picture show, I can do better Rabbit meat do `t have taste, particularly for those farmed, wild rabbits has the particular tastes which you call gamy smell and try to avoid, but that is the key of nice smoked rabbit.

Attachment 203876
    That looks very good BR!
    Black Rabbit likes this.