Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Magpie decoy and air rifle wanted to borrow

I have the distress call, just waiting for a warm day when I can take best advantage of it.
    Mooseman likes this.

personally Id just use my sub 22 and nod when the neighbours tell me I should use a slug gun.

if you can get them to to feed on the treated grain alphaclorilose from your local Reagional council that or the alpaclorilose paste you spread on bread and feed it to them. that will do the trick just make sure its the magpies eating it, I use it on the sparrows that nest in my shed. no poison licence required

a carefully aimed shot with a good back drop out of your subsonic 22 is hard to beat, basically any air rifle that is suited for knocking them down because it takes quite a bit will be loud as heck to get the energy to do the business
    Moa Hunter likes this.

years back, i had a bsa meteor 22 slug gun. figured out that a mall rifle primer was the same caliber and used to glue them to the tips of the slugs.
    effects amazing at low ranges
    p.s rats stink when exploded !
    223nut, dannyb and Mr Browning like this.

I used to leave them alone to chase the hawks away from the Pheasants on a 30 acre rural block - but eventually I realised they were also chasing the Kereru - so I geared up to kill them - Dundee’s custom magpie trap, the .22, a new magpie trap with mirrors, magpie decoy and a new .17 - they soon realised I was after them and flew in all directions when we turned up at the front gate - I never got any in the magpie traps but I shot a few - don’t underestimate their cunning! Good luck