Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By waimo
  • 2 Post By waimo
  • 3 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By 7mm Rem Mag
  • 1 Post By csmiffy

Thread: New animal friendly rimfire ammo

New animal friendly rimfire ammo

Out last night shooting some small game. Had a winchester 42 grain sub that wouldnt go bang .Pulled the bullet out this morning and found that the case had no powder in it. Winchester ammo when coming out of aussie used to be the bees knees. This US stuff is all over the ship. No consistancy at all.
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

Yep had to get Winchester subs as couldn't get any CCI for a while, the winchester stuff is all over the place

Winchester with its large hollow point and soft lead always had a good reputation for terminal performance. Does the US stuff although inconsistant , offer that. Have found the CCI ammo although consistant , seems hard and lacks expansion when chest shots have to be taken.
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

The American made Winchester .22lr ammo is garbage. Not even good for plinking. I used thousands of rounds of the Australian made stuff but have made the switch to CCI and brought in bulk now.

Ha........Timely thread!
    Was out doing some plinking 2 days ago using Wimpchester subs. Out of the first 5 rounds of subsonic, 2 went supersonic. Loaded a mag of 10 out of a new packet and 4 out the 10 also went supersonic.........Not a good outcome if doing pest destruction at night within earshot of the neighbours.

Bought a couple of packs of Eley, Fiochi and Aguilar to see which works best in the JW15. Couldnt get any CCI....

Took my sons out last night after some hares using the jw15 and Aussie 42g subs. No complaints here. Only have 70 rounds left though

Name:  20221230_214314.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  3.26 MB
    Micky Duck, 7mm Rem Mag and BSA270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by waimo View Post
    Winchester with its large hollow point and soft lead always had a good reputation for terminal performance. Does the US stuff although inconsistant , offer that. Have found the CCI ammo although consistant , seems hard and lacks expansion when chest shots have to be taken.
    Not my experience at all in fact I class this cci stuff I've been using for the last 3 years as better than a Winnie subs .
    These impacts were a 85 yards

Name:  Screenshot_20221231-222135_Gallery.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  450.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20221231-222141_Gallery.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  591.2 KB

Just a couple of boxes of Aussie winchester subs left then I'm onto cci for the 1st time
    RUMPY likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    Ha........Timely thread!
    Was out doing some plinking 2 days ago using Wimpchester subs. Out of the first 5 rounds of subsonic, 2 went supersonic. Loaded a mag of 10 out of a new packet and 4 out the 10 also went supersonic.........Not a good outcome if doing pest destruction at night within earshot of the neighbours.
    American ammo seems to assume use of a semi-auto into their ammo loads so their subs are always marginal in non-semis imho.

Tried winchester 42gr subs a while back in my ruger 10/22.
    Very first mag it failed to cycle 1 in every 3 shots from thatb10 shot mag. only ammo that hasnt worked in that rifle.
    Fast forward to 12 months back and tried some browning (bpr?) 22 high velocity ammo which I believe is also made by winchester US. Had a very good crack to it initially but some didnt sound the same. One failed to go off but didnt pull it apart to look for powder.
    Grouped poorly too from memory
    Scouterkotare likes this.