Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Newbie - Christchurch

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    What sort of scope did you put on it Matt??
    I gave it a good clean and oil after those 300 rounds. How much does it take to burn out a barrel?

Scope I eventually settled on is a Redfield 2-7x Accu-Range. I was tossing and turning over that and a Bushnell 3-9x. It was close but I really like the Accu-Range reticle. Nice for different ranges. After last night i'm glad I went that way as I never went more than 2x except once on about a 120yd shot that I can't believe I fluked on a possum across a gully.

Had a blast last night! Got 8 hares, 2 rabbits and 5 possums.
    falconhell, Gibo, jord and 1 others like this.

Well done, your getting the hang of it.
    As for barrel wear in that rifle and at that rate you won't have a problem, I was only winding you help.
    Sounds like you are addicted to it all ready.

I just built up two rifles for a trip to Aussie last month, I fitted a Bushnell 6 x 24 x 50 to one and a Leupold 4x16x42 to the other, the Leupy pisses all over the Bushnell for the same sort of cost.
    Cheers.

Well done, your getting the hang of it.
    As for barrel wear in that rifle and at that rate you won't have a problem, I was only winding you help.
    Sounds like you are addicted to it all ready.

I just built up two rifles for a trip to Aussie last month, I fitted a Bushnell 6 x 24 x 50 to one and a Leupold 4x16x42 to the other, the Leupy pisses all over the Bushnell for the same sort of cost.
    Cheers.
    So when are we going hunting?

What are you hunting in Aus? Or have you already been?

Quote Originally Posted by mposkitt View Post
    So when are we going hunting? When you get a bigger canon

What are you hunting in Aus? Scrub bulls, donkeys, horse's, pigs, wild dogs to name a few - Or have you already been?
    Got back mid August but going back next year, actually not far from where you are working, maybe a thousand or so clicks.

A couple of pics from last years trip, didn't take many pic's this year as it was much the same. Went to the same Cattle Station in the NT. There only so many pics you can take of dead horses and donkeys etc. This year I nailed a good scrub bull which is on it's way to the taxidermist for a shoulder mount. Another guy that came along with us got a good 100" Buff, I'll post a pic up of it when I write a story about the trip soon.

Get your license organised and if you are keen maybe we could jack something up, there's a heap of good buggers on this forum that could help you out as well. Give us a call.
    Cheers
    Cheers

Name:  Donkey 1.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  6.4 KB

Name:  Horse NT.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  5.8 KB

Sorry guys, this should be in the big game section but Matt might progress from bunnies to this in a short time
    Name:  2013 hunt 021.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  1.05 MB

Sorry guys, this should be in the big game section but Matt might progress from bunnies to this in a short time
    Attachment 14097
    Fark, that's a big head. Where'd you hit it? NT, huh? Be a long time before I go to Aussie for pleasure and not work, haha. Much enjoy icy cold hunting here than spending even more time in that hot hellhole! Some of my team keep trying to convince me that the rest of Aus is different. "Come to Cairns," they say - "You'll love it." Yeah, right, I just love 90% humidity.

The next gun on my list at this stage is a 223 but I'm guessing you'll tell me to skip a few more calibers and buy an elephant gun. Amirite!? What do you recommend?

License is all taken care of, I should receive the number in about a week which means I'm good to go. Printed will be few more weeks off. Heading back to Aus tomorrow but only there for 17 days this time around. When I come back I'll be going out as often as I can.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mposkitt View Post
    Fark, that's a big head. Where'd you hit it? NT, huh? Be a long time before I go to Aussie for pleasure and not work, haha. Much enjoy icy cold hunting here than spending even more time in that hot hellhole! Some of my team keep trying to convince me that the rest of Aus is different. "Come to Cairns," they say - "You'll love it." Yeah, right, I just love 90% humidity.

The next gun on my list at this stage is a 223 but I'm guessing you'll tell me to skip a few more calibers and buy an elephant gun. Amirite!? What do you recommend?

License is all taken care of, I should receive the number in about a week which means I'm good to go. Printed will be few more weeks off. Heading back to Aus tomorrow but only there for 17 days this time around. When I come back I'll be going out as often as I can.

Cheers,
    Matt
    I didn't shoot this buff, another guy that went with us from Auckland knocked it 2 hours before we were due to leave, by memory he used a 450 Nitro Express, it took a few to drop it. All in the boiler room.

As for calibre on your next rifle, get what ever floats your boat so long as it's big enough to deal with your intended game you want to hunt, no substitute for cubic capacity.
    Make sure they are all black then Mum won't know how many you have as they will always look the same. Choice of scope is important too so do your homework, generally the scope can cost more than the rifle so you don't want some sales assistant telling you what you need.

As for a 223 - make sure it's a Tikka Lots of Tikka owners on this forum.

The weather in the NT was ok actually, bloody cold at night and approx 35 during the day, to busy snotting stuff to worry about the heat.

As for a 223 - make sure it's a Tikka Lots of Tikka owners on this forum.

The weather in the NT was ok actually, bloody cold at night and approx 35 during the day, to busy snotting stuff to worry about the heat.
    Why is the Tikka so popular? Price? All of the reviews I've read put the Sako, Tikka and X-Bolt pretty much neck and neck and just recommend getting whatever feels most comfortable.

The guy I've been shooting with uses his 223 for deer and pigs as well as longer shots on small game. I asked if it was enough for bigger pigs and his reply, "you ever tried running with a hole in your head?" Thoughts here? Is a headshot with a 223 enough for these? I'm sure there's a few different views around on this to say the least, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    Why is the Tikka so popular? Price? All of the reviews I've read put the Sako, Tikka and X-Bolt pretty much neck and neck and just recommend getting whatever feels most comfortable.

The guy I've been shooting with uses his 223 for deer and pigs as well as longer shots on small game. I asked if it was enough for bigger pigs and his reply, "you ever tried running with a hole in your head?" Thoughts here? Is a headshot with a 223 enough for these? I'm sure there's a few different views around on this to say the least, haha.
    Hi Matty,

Tikkas are popular because they are the right in the sweet spot in the market. Best bang for your buck. Seriously good accuracy out of the box. I personally would put the Sakos and Browning a step above but i'm fairly in love with my X-Bolt so could be biased. I've used all of them a fair bit and own a Browning X-Bolt in .270.

As for your next cal it depends what you want to shoot. If you're looking for a good step up I wouldn't write off a .243. I'd reccomend it. Good enough for deer but cheap enough to get varmint like you already are! Although anything above a .22....even the .223....is going to leave a mess. I've shot rabbits for a while with my single shot .223 and it's great out to 300m but I wouldn't shoot deer with it. A .243 will see you up for the bigger stuff quite nicely.

I'm in Christchurch and if you want to borrow my Baikal .223 you're more than welcome. It's shoots damn good out too 300m. and further when i'm feeling lucky...or come out on our next rabbit shoot....Haven't had luck with possums as I don't have access to private land close to here but plenty of rabbits and hare around. Get about 5 a week from 2 night shoots a week.

As for the brand of your next rifle. If you're in the market for a Tikka, get one. If you want to spend a bit more go for a Browning, spend a bit more again... get a Sako but, at the end of the day it's what fits you the best and what you like the best.

I reckon a .243 for your next by what I can read from the above as it's going to set you up for anything, any size within 400m. and further if you're good enough

Hope this helps

Jord

Quote Originally Posted by jord View Post
    Hi Matty,

Tikkas are popular because they are the right in the sweet spot in the market. Best bang for your buck. Seriously good accuracy out of the box. I personally would put the Sakos and Browning a step above but i'm fairly in love with my X-Bolt so could be biased. I've used all of them a fair bit and own a Browning X-Bolt in .270.

As for your next cal it depends what you want to shoot. If you're looking for a good step up I wouldn't write off a .243. I'd reccomend it. Good enough for deer but cheap enough to get varmint like you already are! Although anything above a .22....even the .223....is going to leave a mess. I've shot rabbits for a while with my single shot .223 and it's great out to 300m but I wouldn't shoot deer with it. A .243 will see you up for the bigger stuff quite nicely.

I'm in Christchurch and if you want to borrow my Baikal .223 you're more than welcome. It's shoots damn good out too 300m. and further when i'm feeling lucky...or come out on our next rabbit shoot....Haven't had luck with possums as I don't have access to private land close to here but plenty of rabbits and hare around. Get about 5 a week from 2 night shoots a week.

As for the brand of your next rifle. If you're in the market for a Tikka, get one. If you want to spend a bit more go for a Browning, spend a bit more again... get a Sako but, at the end of the day it's what fits you the best and what you like the best.

I reckon a .243 for your next by what I can read from the above as it's going to set you up for anything, any size within 400m. and further if you're good enough

Hope this helps

Jord
    Too late, he's already purchased one of those rubbishy X-bolts.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...tml#post176503
    Toby likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

The best choice! In what cal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best choice! In what cal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The best cal!
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

.270?

Sent from my Browning

.270?

Sent from my Browning

A "what cal?" normally drags just about everyone into the argument.

Valid. Will tread carefully going forward!

X bolts are brilliant though. Got my first deer a couple nights ago. Was only 150m away but right on point of aim. Standing unsupported so pretty damn happy with mine. He'll have fun with it.

Sent from my Browning