Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: PCP air rifle for Rabbits

PCP air rifle for Rabbits

Hi I’m moving next month to a block infested with rabbits. It’s got houses close by so not keen to use a 22 with silencer. Ricochets with subs are not great!
    Looking at a PCP so keen to get advise on there effectiveness on rabbits. Max distance likely 50 metres.
    Would appreciate recommendations / pros and cons/ caliber etc
    Would like to spend no more than around $1200 if possible
    Cheers

MB
    I've stopped shooting on a couple of lifestyle blocks because so many houses have been built nearby. Shame because they are overrun with rabbits. It's been mentioned on the forum before, but how about a low energy 22LR round? Something like CCI Quiet.

Interesting article here: https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/am...munition-53707

A decent PCP is the way to go but they're aren't cheap. For rabbits, get a .22 cal one and a model at or close to "FAC" power in UK parlance, ie 40ft/lb.

I've lost count of the number of rabbits mine has knocked over. Four the other night at my son's place with four shots, 30-50yds, stoned. His is a classic place where you wouldn't use a rimfire- houses either side about 80-100yds from his through the orchard trees. A rimfire would be begging for trouble.

I dropped a few extra dollars on CCI segmented subs, simply to reduce the ricochet risk. The petals don't fly very far on a shot that passes through a rabbit.

Saying that, I also have a 25cal Diana Outlaw PCP rifle, which really does a nice job on rabbits. The larger diameter pellets seem to make more of a difference in terms of knockdown than a smaller faster pellet - personal experience between .177 springer, and .25 PCP.

Also find the 17 hornet with 20gn VMax projectiles (3600fps) as a safe way to reach out a bit further. Never had a ricochet, probably due to the very frangible nature of the projectile.

I use a FX cyclone in .22 which works a treat on possums and rabbits and 50 m should be fine. Look out for a second hand FX

I'm up to around 60 rabbits on our block over the last say 5 years. Mostly shot from an upstairs window of the house.

Like others the 22rf is just not viable although I only have one neighbour and they are 200 metres away. Main issue for me is how my land lies and potential for ricochets. There are many houses out in the wider basin below me.

My rifle is an ancient Rapid 7 in 22 cal. I would love to upgrade but the prices of what I have looked at are eye watering.

I have also dealt with a few rabbits using my Weihrauch HW80.

If considering a PCP be sure to factor in a dive bottle and manifold. Hand pumps are hopeless plus they introduce moisture into the system.

I also have a spare buddy bottle for mine.

With correct shot placement, just behind the eye, even a 177 will do the job. A good break barrel or under lever in 177 or 22 makes you independent of any air source. The distance at which you can reliably hit a 2 cm circle would be your sensible range. Choose a good pellet like JSB Exacts or H&N FTT and zero your gun regularly. 4-5J on target is enough. A quality PCP will extend your range, because they usually have more power and require a little less skill to shoot accurately.
    Mooseman likes this.

The Diana Outlaw PCP comes in .22 and .25, $1200 new at Airgunsnz. Another cheaper option is the Gamo PCP Humping and Fisting sell for $999 seems to get good reviews. If you are a good shot a new Weirauch HW97 or Air arms TX200 is around the same price without the hassle of air.
    I'm awaiting my FAL (what a bloody joke) and I'll probably get an outlaw or similar, my springer air rifle is accurate but can't get close enough to bunnies, hence wanting a PCP. I've got a scuba tank tested and filled, just need a charging probe to fill mine, if my FAL ever comes so I can actually buy one.
    The PCP are expensive and a slight hassle but it's what I want, I'm a safety freak but don't want the risk of a projectile that can ricochet or travel 1km for the sake of Bugs Bunny. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    I use a FX cyclone in .22 which works a treat on possums and rabbits and 50 m should be fine. Look out for a second hand FX
    What sort of money do good second hand ones go for ?

As above, CCI Quiet Segmented .22lr with a suppressor is quieter than an air rifle. All you hear the click of the trigger and impact. It's segmented so reduces the risk of ricochets, and travelling at 710fps. And they're 40grain so when they hit it typically drops bunnies on the spot.

Banned
    why do pcp projectiles have lower ricochet risk than 22 subs?
    veitnamcam likes this.

I don't think PCP 's ricochet any less than a 22. I got one years ago to deal with rabbits - about the second time I actually drew a bead on a rabbit (and maybe missed) I distinctly heard the pellet "tink" of the roof of the neighboring house!

Air Arms S510 Ultimate Sporter .22

Hi there,

See this recent video of me shooting my S510. A deadly accurate rifle out to 140yds. I highly recommend the Air Arms rifles for your task!
    Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE

Good Hunting....
    We are not Human Beings having a spiritual experience - we are Spiritual Beings having a human experience
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE

Air Arms S510 US .22
    Air Arms S410 Classic .22

Weihrauch HW97KT .177
    Weihrauch HW95 .177

Thanks for everyone’s input and advice. Like any rabbit hole .....once you go down it the different options of which way you turn are numerous!! Unless something comes up second hand - I’m going to go for a Diana outlaw PCP .22- Seems like a good entry level PCP that will give me 50-60 metre accuracy for rabbits.