Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Possum fur prices 2020 ?

Possum fur prices 2020 ?

Does anyone know whats happening to the possum fur price right now ?

I have enquired but no reply so far

Half of my winter building contract has been postponed due to the virus and its economic effects.
    So I was planning on going bush earlier this winter and doing a bit more possuming than usual.
    But I'm also picking the the fur price will take a tumble because a lot of the finished product is for tourists etc

Am I right ?

Prefer to be wrong !

I have done a 2 kgs in the last few weeks just protecting my hazel nut orchard from the bastards
    stingray and Cordite like this.

The last price i got is 3 days ago in naki $115.Expecting price to drop due to market demand and over supply from layed off guys in forestry etc.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Does anyone know whats happening to the possum fur price right now ?

I have enquired but no reply so far

Half of my winter building contract has been postponed due to the virus and its economic effects.
    So I was planning on going bush earlier this winter and doing a bit more possuming than usual.
    But I'm also picking the the fur price will take a tumble because a lot of the finished product is for tourists etc

Am I right ?

Prefer to be wrong !
    Just txt my local agents and asked for this years prices - back soon.

Like to hear more on the likes of pending/potential slowdowns in the likes of construction etc
    This is where a thinking government would make something good out of potential bad
    Process timber sitting on wharf's for local trade and build infrastructure etc

But - ha - I just a dumb Possum Plucker from way back
    veitnamcam likes this.

I’d say it’s going to drop....along with every thing else due to the knock on effects of this Virus.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Basically Bush are paying $115 - saying it might drop to $110 but hopefully not any lower.
    Their opposition are only paying $100 kg.
    Basically Bush are a new Zealand based company and all of their products are manufactured here in NZ

From Lisa & Rob - Koromiko - Marlborough
    Bill999 and stingray like this.

Well I will be happy if it stays above $100

If it all goes tits up, I will just disappear of into the bush for a couple of months
    Bill999 likes this.

Get in touch with any handy pet food places as they may take some carcasses. Be worth some extra dollars for ya
    stingray likes this.

Expected I suppose - but another kick in the teeth for a lot of outdoorsie guys and gals

Hi All
    It has been some time since we last posted to this page (8 months in fact) and for the most part it has been pretty much business as usual . Fur prices had been high ,demand steady, Skin prices firm .Tourists were being tourists and spending their money on possum products . this all gave us a lot of optimism that the summer season of 2020 was going to business as usual . Then along came Covid 19 (corona virus) ,and how things have changed . Most of your questions have been are we buying fur and skins .Up until the lock down yes , now ,no. You will have been aware of the price to hunters easing over the last few months . this was in response to demand for finished garments being severely affected as tourist customers simply were not there , and those that were not spending . This has flowed back down the supply chain to wholesalers and yarn producers ,and ultimately to hunters . this situation is not going to change anytime soon .Even when the lock down is over and some sense of normality returns , our industry will look very different. In the short term our borders will be closed to overseas visitors ,don't expect to see any overseas tourists here for the rest of this year . this will have huge implications for our industry and many others. Looking further out ,who knows,this is uncharted waters .One thing I am sure about is that when this is over all business in NZ will be changed ,ours will be no different . What this will look like who knows but we have done our best to ensure that when this crisis eases we will still be here ready to pick up where we left off.
    Before the lock down we had signaled that the price was reducing down to $105/kg , this will still be the case when the lock down is over and we are allowed to trade again . However don't assume that as soon as the lock down is eased that we will be buying fur , this will depend on customer demand . We will however be looking for skins before we need fur. for those that have supplied us in the past keep in touch with your agent and they will let you know when you can bring them in . Prices will remain the same as last year for darks but not for grays ,again your local agent will have this info ,give them a call.
    We are anticipating that there will be very little activity until June/July ,slowly picking up from there on in . This is just crystal ball gazing on our part ,there are so many unknowns ,but our industry has been strong and resilient over the years.This is not the first time it has had significant challenges and it wont be the last, it is however the most significant we have ever faced
    On a wider note this is the first time my generation (i am 65 ) our children's and our grand children have every had to face a challenge on this scale . How we play our part in the coming months will define who we are as a people and as a society,did we rise to the challenge or did we fail I hope for all of us that it is the former.
    Kia kaha
    Kia atawhai
    Kia whai whakaaro me te atawhai ki etahi atu

Be strong
    Be kind
    Be mindful of and kind to others

The team at Basically Bush

Basically bush just put up a post on Facebook a couple days back, is a pretty good explanation of what’s gonna happen/happening

Quote Originally Posted by Howa1500 View Post
    Basically bush just put up a post on Facebook a couple days back, is a pretty good explanation of what’s gonna happen/happening
    Ar yea
    Its above if you look

yes I am stuck with 2kg.. Dam it

I am paying the grandson $80 a kilo to give him some incentive to do something during lockdown...I maybe stuck with it for some time but hopefully square him up down the track.
    Sarvo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    I am paying the grandson $80 a kilo to give him some incentive to do something during lockdown...I maybe stuck with it for some time but hopefully square him up down the track.
    No - good investment
    And - I think you might pass on da profits afterwards too :-)

PS
    For those serious
    Please take note of - "Skins will profit/sell before Fur"
    kukuwai likes this.