Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: possum plucker

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Yeah I know plenty of people who try and rip off buyers with belly and tail fur. Fucks it up for the honest among us, getting looked at harder.
    Yes, hence why machine plucked pays less, and rightly so. Far more rubbish in machine plucked also, blood and plant material etc from being bounced around on the trailer or back of ute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I know plenty of people who try and rip off buyers with belly and tail fur. Fucks it up for the honest among us, getting looked at harder.
    I have never been told any different, first time of heard of this. So no i wasn't intending ripping any body off

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    I have never been told any different, first time of heard of this. So no i wasn't intending ripping any body off
    Some buyers are not too concerned about it, guess it depends who they are on selling it to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did buyers start rejecting/down grading for belly fur?...some years ago there was talk about not taking belly fur, or separating it from the main crop but I don't think anything came of it...I include belly fur and first couple of inches of tail, have done for years, I use clear plastic bags when selling so they see what they are getting.
    bigbear and Cordite like this.

Couldn't actually tell ya. It's just a thing that's been oft' repeated up here, so I went right ahead and repeated it...
    That's good as I have still got a 125 litre drum of mixed from lockdown harvesting to flog off at some time.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    When did buyers start rejecting/down grading for belly fur?...some years ago there was talk about not taking belly fur, or separating it from the main crop but I don't think anything came of it...I include belly fur and first couple of inches of tail, have done for years, I use clear plastic bags when selling so they see what they are getting.
    Not in the trade, but I guess either kind of fur will have its uses.

Not a very nice policy of grading that way, seems main purpose is to knock down the price paid to the guy in the chain who in fact does the hardest work.

Reminds me of dairies doing bacterial counts on milk and using that to knock down the price paid to farmers for their milk. And then pasteurising and selling the lot, just like any other milk.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch