Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Possum trapping spots in Wellington

Hi there,

I'm looking to do some recreational possum trapping in the Wellington area. Just wondering if anyone knows somewhere that isn't been baited? I'm finding that the council is baiting a huge amount of places.

Thanks heaps

Ring the Wellington Regional Council office in Upper Hutt and ask to speak to the manager of Pest control ( Glen ) ask him where you can go that hasn't been poisoned in a good while. if using leg hold traps it will need to be well off any tracks, Karapoti always was good in certain areas. (motor bike required)
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Going by the lack of road kills and my last few trips at night I haven't seen a possum for months. they are becoming endangerd around wellington.
    Stay off the ridgeline.
    The only good assumption is to assume that movement, shape, colour, sound, is always human. Follow this rule and identify your target.

Last one my old man shot up at my parents was 6 months ago. The bait stations are thick around my parents property though on the council land surrounding.

Went up the Orongorongo a couple of months ago. Stayed in a DOC hut and took the .177 (1200 fps) for my son to do some plinking. After dark the bush was think with them, took down several and gave many more a sore ass.