Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Rabbit hunting with 10/22

If the kids aren't using the rifle then I wouldn't be too concerned. as long as you are exercising safety properly and retaining complete control of the rifle.
    Once you have fired the .22, remove the mag and unload the live round if you think it will make it safer. If you treat the rifle correctly and safely then it is no more dangerous than a bolt action.
    Once you have the kids firing it then yes single round through the mag, perhaps a couple of mags to swap over.
    My suggestion would be head out to Kelly Country, and pick up a cheap second hand bolt action or single shot for the kids to use.

On my own when using my 10/22 I just put the safety on and put the rifle down. With the kids I would only load 1 round in the mag ( although you can buy single round 10/22 mags), but still remove the mag and cycle the action incase there was another round in the mag( very unlikely but always err on the side of caution).

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Benomobile View Post
    As an alternative rifle I would be looking at a bolt action or lever action. Preferably stainless as I am right on the coast and it doesn’t seem to matter how much oil I put on my rifle I get rust problems. Any suggestions on something of similar quality and value to a stainless ruger 10/22 if I decide to sell it?
    Thanks
    The Stainless steel / synthetic stock Tikka T1X is a nice and light little bolt action rimfire rifle.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    On my own when using my 10/22 I just put the safety on and put the rifle down. With the kids I would only load 1 round in the mag ( although you can buy single round 10/22 mags), but still remove the mag and cycle the action incase there was another round in the mag( very unlikely but always err on the side of caution).
    That reinforce what I am thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    Spend the time to teach your kids how to use the rifle properly, you will know when it’s safe to trust them and be able to stand back a little. Who cares if a few bunny’s get away in the process.
    Yep, agree 100%.

I taught both my kids to hunt using the 10/22 on rabbits. Both started at around age 3 and slowly progressed from walking behind, to walking beside, to walking in front. As youngsters they only carried the rifle when it was unloaded. As they got older they got to carry it when about to shoot and by the age of 12 or 13 they were both extremely competent and able to carry, load, shoot, make safe and store the rifle.

I watched with absolute pride as my recently turned 16 year old daughter provided a full-monty safety talk and demonstration on how to use my .223 to a young lad who came rabbit shooting last weekend. She applied for her FAL the day she turned 16 and is now just waiting to do the MSC.

Although it shouldn't matter, I find a semi-auto makes you very conscientious about the way you carry the rifle. It's not a bad way to learn at all.
    2post likes this.

There are some ok single shot rifles out there.. and good bolt actions for under 300. At 4 I reckon he would be happy with even a slingshot if he could go out with his dad doing boy stuff. I would also think about using a supressor and subs. You don't want him to develop a flinch this early in his hunting career. Less recoil as well. I would give a thumbs up to the norincos as well. I know a bunch of people who got one of these as their first rifle and 30 years on are still shooting it. It is cheap enough that you won't be traumatised by the treatment a kid gives it.
    I wouldn't bother with the air rifle route either unless you are just shooting targets. I know adults who are frustrated by how hard it is to be accurate with an air rifle. Must be worse for a 4 year old.