Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Jafa
  • 7 Post By Hugh Shields

Thread: Rabbit Liver Spots - Fit for Human, Dog or Compost?

Rabbit Liver Spots - Fit for Human, Dog or Compost?

Reasonably new, but I have been helping clear a few rabbits out with friends who have been noticing white spots and larger bits appearing on the livers. There are differing opinions in the group between whether it means it's still good if cooked, just good for the mongrel (included), or best not to take the chance.

Is there any particular rule of thumb we can use be it visual, texture or combination of the two? Or your thoughts?

Name:  viber_image_2024-02-04_03-23-28-172.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  441.5 KB
    Name:  viber_image_2024-02-04_03-23-48-976.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  375.6 KB
    Name:  viber_image_2024-02-04_03-23-48-989.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  423.1 KB
    Name:  422430584_756542765996344_5825364500227684784_n.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  222.1 KB
    Magua likes this.

I've eaten a lot with the white spots. But I did not eat any of the offal, jus the muscle tissue. My perception was that the white spots appeared where there was quite a bit of high population pressure on a localised area. I did check out the white spots with an animal research chap and he said no problem. Unfortunately, I can't remember what he said the white spots indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by f-class shooter View Post
    I don't think we even have Tularaemia in NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Jafa View Post
    Reasonably new, but I have been helping clear a few rabbits out with friends who have been noticing white spots and larger bits appearing on the livers. There are differing opinions in the group between whether it means it's still good if cooked, just good for the mongrel (included), or best not to take the chance.

Is there any particular rule of thumb we can use be it visual, texture or combination of the two? Or your thoughts?

Attachment 243025
    Attachment 243023
    Attachment 243024
    Attachment 243022
    no I would not eat it or feed it to dogs could be what f-class shooter is describing - I would tend more towards an internal parasite infection - whatever the liver is a key indicator to good health and good eating in basically all animals we eat - nah plenty other rabbits around

We do get coccidiosis in rabbits here but it looks a bit different to what is shown - the rabbits I have seen with this have livers absolutely covered in white spots

Thanks for the feedback guys. I might have to have a hunt around the BOP for somewhere I can get me and the wife (and mutt) some clean rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus_ View Post
    I don't think we even have Tularaemia in NZ
    No verified case in NZ about 3-4 years ago when I queried MPI regarding this and harvesting rabbits for commercial pet food.

Maybe don't eat the offal and cook the meat to an appropriate temp. Freezing first for an extended period may help alleviate any concerns

Hello @Jafa and Team.
    I looked into this in 2020 when I started commercial culling and kept finding white spotty livers.
    I spoke with, sent photos, and liver samples to, a highly experienced vet/MPI Meat inspector who told me this:
    - Its Coccidia
    - As @Shamus_ has said, it is more prevalent in young rabbits. Their livers look like the WORST spotty faced kid in the school
    - Often you can spot a young or mid aged rabbit with bad Coccidia, because they look kind of scrawny, underweight. When you pick them up they just feel boney and light
    - Usually if you find one rabbit with Coccidia, all the rabbits in that are will have it. The reason for that is because it passes out of them in their droppings, which other rabbits then eat, contracting the coccidia. Basically if one rabbit in the warren has it the whole family gets it! (NOTE: Rabbits do two sorts of droppings, green ones and black ones. The green ones are mostly grass/silage and are palatable to other rabbits. The black one taste like shit and rabbits don't eat those.)
    - Once a rabbit contracts Coccidia, it has it for life
    - Older rabbits sort of "grow out of it," but it is still in their bodies. You will still find small traces of white bits in the liver of an old rabbit, but that rabbit will look totally healthy and be of a good weight. The rabbit in your photo is an older rabbit with traces.
    - Coccidia is species specific, actually rabbit specific. It cannot be contracted by other stock, dogs or humans. If it was contagious, like TB, then MPI, DOC, Federated Farmers, Councils, would be doing rabbit control on the same scale as possum control. We would still have Rabbit Boards. NO RISK TO EXPORTS = GOVERNMENT INACTIVITY!
    - Humans cannot contract Coccidia from eating rabbits. The flesh and bones are OK to cook and eat. The livers...... I personally eat only clean, healthy livers. That's over to you.......

Rabbit Liver Recipe:
    - Whack a roughly diced onion in a frying pan
    - Whack in some garlic
    - Chuck the livers in flour (on not), then whack those in the pad (You can also add the kidney and heart. I don't eat the hearts, I find them chewy and lacking in flavour)
    - Splash with soy sauce or Lea & Perrins (Some people add red wine)
    - Stir continuously and don't over-cook
    - Serve of two pieces of buttered toast and wash down with your favourite beverage!

*This is a meal fit for a King and Queen! Fried rabbit livers taste very much like chicken liver pate. And kidneys taste like......kidneys!Coccidia-in-Rabbits.pdf
    Last edited by Hugh Shields; 06-02-2024 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Add more photos
    rupert, john m, Grey Kiwi and 4 others like this.