Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By northdude

Thread: Rossi Pomba .17HMR

Rossi Pomba .17HMR

In 'need' of a new rifle, and the .17's seem to be something a bit more interesting than a 22.
    I had thought about getting a BRNO (model 2 or similar), or a new CZ in .22, and then re-barrel my Martini sporter to the 17.
    But price wise a Rossi Pomba in .17HMR makes more sense.
    Are the Rossi's any good accuracy wise?
    Build quality OK, or just passable?
    Or, of course, just buy a 17 bolt action but then, which one?
    The US trio (Marlin, Remington, Savage) all seem to have an issue or two. Seems to be lack of quality control over there.
    Before anyone asks, "NO, the Martini is not for sale". Keeping it for the Grand kids (it is a lovely wee rifle).
    I'll still look at a BRNO or similar quality bolt action just to keep my Remington 597 company (anybody selling a BRNO?).
    Thanks for any help.

The only Rossi's Iv had anything to do with is a 44mag lever I bought new and it had serious feeding issues and was replaced, the second one was ok.
    And my dads single shot break open 308, (brand new again) this had issues breaking open when firing which I have since fixed and also failing to fire that I thought I had fixed but still has issues.

I wouldn't recommend either unless you like tinkering to get them to function as they should out of the box.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

If you want to tinker - JW23 in 22mag and it's a better caliber. Just a little time with autosolve and you got a shooter.

Thanks guys.
    OK, take the Rossi off the wish list!
    Back to the 'For sale' lists then to find that BRNO.

northdude
    i was looking for something a bit interesting thought of the 17 but ended up getting one of my old favourites a 22hornet used it on magpies up to goats now i have 2 of them its a handloaders caliber tho ones a h&r handi rifle and its a real shooter it will hold its own against the krico i have as well

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    i was looking for something a bit interesting thought of the 17 but ended up getting one of my old favourites a 22hornet used it on magpies up to goats now i have 2 of them its a handloaders caliber tho ones a h&r handi rifle and its a real shooter it will hold its own against the krico i have as well
    I quite like the specs of the 22 Hornet. Is the number of times you can reload the brass typical of other cals? Only ask this because of an article I read a long time ago.

northdude
    useing highland cases ive got 5 reloads so far im useing lilgun and 35vmaxs
    Chupacabra likes this.