Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: traps

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post

Running for cover now
    but i see your humour
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post

Running for cover now
    You certainly need a sense of humour when you spend a lot of time in our rat infested forests

FANTAIL NESTING SUCCESS IN TONGARIRO FOREST.
    Rat abundance is higher in the sanctuary than in the non-treatment area, and is probably having a big influence on nesting success of other bird species (EG fantails and other passerines) (Tongariro Forest Kiwi Sanctuary Annual report July 2005, June 2006 P 20.

Aerial 1080 dropped 1995-96, 2001, 2006... Intensive monitoring since 2001.

Between 2001 and 2005 rat abundance in the treatment area averaged about double the figures of the non-treatment area.

DOC RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT SERIES 231.
    "Rat abundance at Waihaha, Central North Island, was five-fold higher for up to six years after possum control than during the four years prior to possum control. ( Sweetapple et al .,unpubl. data)

Possum Master traps. Really rate them. Great support from Sharon. They kill cats stoats ferrrets hedgies rats weasels. You name it.The DOC traps are not in the ball game and we use them.

cheers guys, a few to have a look at

splash, will call in next weekend

We've got a live capture rat trap at home, would probably work for stoats... I've caught up to four rats in it in one night (one set). A little swim in the morning sorted them out.

I'll take a photo of it today.
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Possum Master traps. Really rate them. Great support from Sharon. They kill cats stoats ferrrets hedgies rats weasels. You name it.The DOC traps are not in the ball game and we use them.
    I hate the DOC one, bloody spring so strong and juggling around trying to set it it a pain in the arse. Just had a look at the Possum master trap, you use them? I'm interested in on for cats, stoats and possums, would this suit? Does the noose tighten upwards, easy for the animals to trigger? They say they are for all these animals, but in practise what have you found?
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    We've got a live capture rat trap at home, would probably work for stoats... I've caught up to four rats in it in one night (one set). A little swim in the morning sorted them out.

I'll take a photo of it today.
    Pretty basic design. Chuck some cheese, egg or peanut butter near or on the hook... rat goes in, trapdoor closes, he/she screams for help, his mates come to his aid and come through the one-way tunnel at the end.

Quick swim in the trough in the morning, empty it out and reset.

Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

we are going to set traps on approx 200ha, how many traps will we need to cover an area of this size

Quote Originally Posted by Bulltahr View Post
    I hate the DOC one, bloody spring so strong and juggling around trying to set it it a pain in the arse. Just had a look at the Possum master trap, you use them? I'm interested in on for cats, stoats and possums, would this suit? Does the noose tighten upwards, easy for the animals to trigger? They say they are for all these animals, but in practise what have you found?
    Yes. 100%. We now use gloves when baiting and setting our traps. Fresh meat and fish oil/canola oil spray i.e. 3:1 canola to fish oil. Spray it in the trap and a line away i.e. to trip them if passing by to look. It is equally effective from stoats [light touch[ to cats [heavy touch] in terms of what I presume they would go to the bait. The noose is very effective. Sharon sent some new nooses to try. Gets them specially made in Levin. If you are targetting cats make sure you tie the trap well and stake it. Just make some stakes from old good old No 8 wire. Spray the top of them with wood marking fluoro. i.e. easy to see if the cat does a death dance. I have seen fotos of 6.5kg cats caught on Ngamatea.My mate who used to trap there does the bulk on our block and we supplement his traps. We now run about 50 traps constantly all year round.I have a vid of those traps and if I can locate it will post it. Have sent it to Sharon and I understand she used it in the Field Days in Fielding last year.

Yeap please post video, I am real keen....................saw a cat in my block yesterday with Munsey, but no rifle.........................F#$K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Yes. 100%. We now use gloves when baiting and setting our traps. Fresh meat and fish oil/canola oil spray i.e. 3:1 canola to fish oil. Spray it in the trap and a line away i.e. to trip them if passing by to look. It is equally effective from stoats [light touch[ to cats [heavy touch] in terms of what I presume they would go to the bait. The noose is very effective. Sharon sent some new nooses to try. Gets them specially made in Levin. If you are targetting cats make sure you tie the trap well and stake it. Just make some stakes from old good old No 8 wire. Spray the top of them with wood marking fluoro. i.e. easy to see if the cat does a death dance. I have seen fotos of 6.5kg cats caught on Ngamatea.My mate who used to trap there does the bulk on our block and we supplement his traps. We now run about 50 traps constantly all year round.I have a vid of those traps and if I can locate it will post it. Have sent it to Sharon and I understand she used it in the Field Days in Fielding last year.
    how big is the block

6500 acres.

6500 acres.
    Are you on Ngamatea or Mangohane? 50 traps seems light for a block that big....just curious
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Uplander,
    been doing a bit of reading, think we should start out with trap set 200m apart on the lines.
    If we start with 35 traps for the mo we should be good and then adjust as the rest of the block gets openned up.
    Any decisions on type of trap there seems to have been a few different suggestions here?
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Please tell me where do you buy the new traps...I am sure someone said H&F or maybe it was Farmlands???
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...