Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Arrow which trees posums browse at times of year

kia ora,
    i'm looking for some info regarding what sort of trees possums browse at different times of year.
    ive heard when pines have yellow pollen on them they go to them, and willows in spring etc. But i plan on trapping mostly in nz natives, will there be possums browsing the native trees all year round?
    I'd also be real keen to hear any inside helpful knowledge from any trappers as I'm just learning here. Regarding finding sign and spacing/location of trap line etc. or if ya recommend any good books on this stuff let me know!

Cheers bros!!

Oak trees seem to be targets of opportunity at the moment with the fresh new leaves on our driveway. Come down every morning to see the poop and dropped shoots on the driveway for the next month. Guess thats similar to your willow tree scenario.

The Citiris (lemons) take a pasting with outer rind carefully chewed off on each one around christmas til late Jan. Rest ofthe time I catch them mostly in the Manuka and Kauri chasing what I'd expect is bugs and stuff.. Not much to help in the natives dept but there you go...

Welcome stagslaya,trapping possums is not too difficult but the best way to learn is to go out with a trapper in your local area,even just walking a few traplines. If ya don`t know anyone,try asking the nearest DOC office;they issue free permits to professional trappers and might suggest a friendly guy who could take you out. Or give the Forum an idea of where you are in N.Z. and one of us could get you started!

You can trap all year round for control purposes but if you`re after fur/skins then best from about May-November,depending on location.

search possom on the search bar there is heaps of advice
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Ring Gareth Morgan , Sarah Hicks , Forest and Bird . Doc . they all know where to find possums that aren't there .

For me just follow the possum trails on the ground and beside the water