Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Virus

I've been hearing that not much has been happening out there....

Any updates from anyone?
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Just spent 4 days in tekapo / burkes pass area on a station a couple of weeks into the virus. Feedback they had its not performing and certainly nothing on their station. Rabbit numbers were definitely through the roof compared to previous years visiting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

I shot 24 and a cat last night in the paddock it was released in, the cocky reckoned less are there, but I'm not convinced and Ive plenty more to go at !
    veitnamcam likes this.

it was released just up the road from where i shoot . . . talking to the manager yesterday his neighbours are getting next to no reaction which is very odd considering its been at a guess, if i had to give a number, somewhere between 50-60% decline in numbers i have observed overall. Some areas its almost 90% and yet there are pockets that seem almosty untouched, its working on this station anyway.
    veitnamcam and viper like this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

virus was release in the Bay of Plenty last week as well

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I shot 24 and a cat last night in the paddock it was released in, the cocky reckoned less are there, but I'm not convinced and Ive plenty more to go at !
    You still standing by your statement. Would be good if it was rely happening.

Still not much happening here, maybe a slight reduction in numbers but that got just be the time of year.
    I did hear that parts of tekapo were showing some signs of it working but that's about all.

I've just been back to my rabbit block just out of town for the first time since the release a month or so back. Quietly shot a couple of dozen or so within a couple of hrs, sniping with the 223 out to about 300.
    Still a lot of rabbits there, but not like pre-poisen where the ground was moving with them. I can also see the grass is growing back around a lot of the warrens, the virus has made a reasonable difference here, but regular shooting is still clearly needed.
    viper likes this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

it's definitely having an impact in West Melton, there is a stretch of road I use daily travelling to and from work and I would collect 2 or 3 a week in the town car and see literally dozens every day, haven't seen one for the last week witch is almost unheard of

Seems to be kicking in on the property I hunt near Alex. The owner reported seeing some sick looking bunnies in the weekend.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

well after initial promising results I am already starting to see them "bounce" back be interesting if this trend continues in other areas.......

Farmers need to follow up with "lead Poisoning" to be sure they stay on top of those rabbits, by taking a percentage out it will enhance the breeding as more food is available so manual control methods will be needed.

I've got to get back down there for some bunny bopping. All I ever did was the easter bunny hunt. Lots of work for usually shit all rabbits.
    Be nice to go down, find a good spot for the weekend and just do whatever, shotguns, 22's, to get as many as possible without slogging my guts out.
    take the lad down and have a ball.

The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

I'm seeing about the same number's driving home after work,same road at about the same time