Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What air rifle for rabbits?

I have a cometa fusion. it fires .22 pellets at 900fps and I've shot plenty of bunnies often out to 40 metres . I've tried quite a few high end pellets and the best so far have been the RWS superfield.
    I bought it from young airguns for $600 including scope and pellets.

MB
    Chaps, the lady in question has come to her senses and is now in the process of getting a firearms license. Thanks for the replies anyway, it's been interesting reading.
    gadgetman, res and quentin like this.

Even better MightyBoosh.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    The number of rabbits I have shot that have .177 and .22 Air rifle slugs in them, would lead me to think that an air rifle is not the right tool for the job.
    You'd be right if you're talking about springers.

A proper PCP is a world different. Rabbits are dead meat at 80yds with my Daystate Airwolf but then we're not talking cheap guns. Knocked over five young maggies the other day in about 40secs off our balcony, the closest maybe 40yds and the furthest possibly 70yds. A ten-shot repeater is good

I have to put my two cents into this....I have killed a crap load of rabbits with my springer out to 60 meters no problem. if people are shooting bunnies and finding them with pellets in them then that person with the pellet gun shouldnt be shooting at all.

shot placement is the key. I have seen people with a .22 rimfire hit them and the bunnies run away! the same goes for possums head shot or nothing.
    gadgetman, Growlybear and MB like this.

Weihrauch HW97KL
    Leupold 3-9x33 EFR

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Weihrauch HW97KL
    Leupold 3-9x33 EFR
    The HW97 is an excellent air rifle. The Leupold is good too, but there are more cost effective options for hunting. I would suggest a 3-12x mag in the "Leapers" (UTG) range

I use a crappy old Crosman $250 new from ron in .22 i replaced the trigger as well as the spring and fitted a gas ram and i have a Nikko Stirling 3-8x40 AO scope it loves H&N Field Target Trophy 5.53mm pellets 14.66gr @ 750fps plenty of power for rabbits or possums. the thing with air rifles is you need to find a pellet that is right for your gun and every gun is different this could take some time but once you have found a pellet it likes you wont be disappointed. also another thing to remember is the weight of the rifle, these expensive spring guns you get out there are very heavy and you dont want to be running around holding a big heavy gun all day it is a fine line to balance.