Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree18693Likes

Thread: What little pesties did you bowl over today?

Couple from the neighbors small block, plenty others around but challenging to get a safe shot with the J dub.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and dannyb like this.

Ran over this on Monday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wsm junkie likes this.

Went out again on Thursday night and it was only when I got there I thought perhaps it won't be a good night considering the moon was half bright but I still went for a wonder and shot just over 70 bunnies and 3 opossums.

A couple of occasions i ran the 10 shot mag dry from one position and shot 26 rabbits out of one paddock alone.

So far in one week I've shot over 170 rabbits, 1 hare & 6-7 opossums and still loads more rabbits present.

We need the politicans to see this thread and realise the impact recreational shooters are having on Pest numbers....

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    We need the politicans to see this thread and realise the impact recreational shooters are having on Pest numbers....
    They might just say we need more 1080!

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    If they were serious about environmental issues then they will be passing laws allowing a pest proof fence to be constructed around the hot spots and then using every safe method to extirpate rabbits and wallabies etc. Otherwise it just seems like a whole exercise of futility
    Steve123 likes this.

Not 26 in one paddock material, but 6 out of a reasonably well shot up paddock will do. Favorable wind meant I could actually shoot this paddock. The rabbits in there taunted me every day I drove home. Sadly the cat outdid me, and got 7, albeit over quite a few more hours.

Name:  IMG_20191109_224013.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  3.99 MB

@quintin... does you cat look like this?

veitnamcam, GWH, Sideshow and 2 others like this.

Behaves like that, but is the camo version.
    And she prefers the slightly smaller rabbits as they fit through the cat door, so she can leave them on the rug under the dining room table.
    Seventenths and Steve123 like this.

12 goats for the quick after work shoot. Had a first, went to cut the back legs off one of the medium sized nannies and noticed a wound channel full of shit. The projectile went in the chest and out by the back leg/ass

Name:  75380248_430248081007739_1952216005019172864_n.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  530.9 KB

Surprised it went through so far being a .223 62gr SP, but i guess it didn't hit bone.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Nice young hare for the .22LR this evening. Dogs' dinner. Had to crawl into a half decent spot to get the bugger, I'd bumped it in the long grass but it hadn't learned to keep running, too late to learn now...

Name:  20191111_201119.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  1.33 MB

Note how the bitch refuses to look at it. That way, you see, she can't upset her brother nor can she succumb to temptation because what she can't see isn't there...
    Just...say...the...word

While I was out last night glassing for rabbits I spotted a bird that I immediately recognised from Australia, a Masked Woodswallow. Very distinctive bird that we used to see a lot in inland New South Wales. I watched it for about 10 minutes and googled it while I sat there to confirm what I was looking at. At the time I didn't think too much of it because I had rabbits and hares on my mind, but on the walk home it occurred to me that the bird was a very long way from home.

Turns out that there's only ever been one confirmed sighting of that bird in New Zealand, in 1972. So to say it is a rare vagrant is probably an understatement. I'm going back there tonight with my son with a decent camera and lens to try and get a picture. He's probably buggered off but no harm in trying.

I suspect the poor bugger has made it all the way over here because he's been chased out by the wildfires. Seems like quite a coincidence.
    GWH, Mintie and dannyb like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Big PROUD moment for Dad tonight. Young lad says...

Hey Dad, you going after a hare tonight?
    Yeah mate, bit windy for the rimfire tonight though.
    OK. But I think I'm ready for the centrefire now.
    Ya reckon? I reckon so too. Wanna give it a go?
    Yup.

And cool as a you like he setup the .223 Super Varmint, walked out with a purposeful stride, found a hare, ranged it and worked out his drop on Strelok. He dialled, I checked, and the rest is... dead hare. First go with the full sized centrefire on an animal and he smoked it. 173m, quite a breeze, he held on the nose, bullet went straight through the shoulders. Good boy.

Cool thing is about the lad is despite the ADHD and general bonkersness that comes with being a 13yr old testosterone fuelled ball scratcher, he's in no rush. He's happy to learn, happy to take his time. Shoot paper, shoot some cans. Rimfires and small centrefires, always sensible, never a dumbass. He's had the chance to go with the big rifle before, but nope, not quite ready yet Dad. His decision tonight, no pressure. And no hare fever either.

Really chuffed for the lad. As you can tell.

Name:  20191112_182006.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  4.23 MB

Name:  20191112_183325.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  5.48 MB
    Just...say...the...word

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Excellent stuff.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    While I was out last night glassing for rabbits I spotted a bird that I immediately recognised from Australia, a Masked Woodswallow. Very distinctive bird that we used to see a lot in inland New South Wales. I watched it for about 10 minutes and googled it while I sat there to confirm what I was looking at. At the time I didn't think too much of it because I had rabbits and hares on my mind, but on the walk home it occurred to me that the bird was a very long way from home.

Turns out that there's only ever been one confirmed sighting of that bird in New Zealand, in 1972. So to say it is a rare vagrant is probably an understatement. I'm going back there tonight with my son with a decent camera and lens to try and get a picture. He's probably buggered off but no harm in trying.

I suspect the poor bugger has made it all the way over here because he's been chased out by the wildfires. Seems like quite a coincidence.
    Id love to see the pics if you manage to find him