Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree18711Likes

Thread: What little pesties did you bowl over today?

A few more...
    Name:  Boker 01.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  515.5 KBName:  Boker 02.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  470.9 KB
    Name:  Boker 03.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  457.0 KB
    Dundee, Frogfeatures and Mintie like this.

Went and hid in the bull paddock tonight , finally figured out my breathing and smoked 5 rabbits with my .22 Air rifle.
    Pretty stoked as I was missing a lot of shots and had a brilliant evening. All the shots were at about 40m so safe to say im happy as fuck.Name:  IMG-0477.JPG
Views: 556
Size:  4.98 MB[/ATTACH]Name:  IMG-0478.JPG
Views: 447
Size:  3.88 MB
    Dundee, johnino, Mintie and 4 others like this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Good shooting Jusepy, plenty for a good feed there
    Jusepy likes this.

The latest in lockdown bench rest shooting, ironing board and a door stop. 2 magpies down for the morning
    Name:  20200411_084238.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  3.33 MB
    Dundee, johnino, Shearer and 5 others like this.

Hello lads ,
    do any of you use a 22 winmag for these pesties ?
    Patience Is A Virtue

Quote Originally Posted by Jusepy View Post
    Went and hid in the bull paddock tonight , finally figured out my breathing and smoked 5 rabbits with my .22 Air rifle.
    Pretty stoked as I was missing a lot of shots and had a brilliant evening. All the shots were at about 40m so safe to say im happy as fuck.Attachment 135626[/ATTACH]Attachment 135627
    Nothing like a plan coming together...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jusepy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    The latest in lockdown bench rest shooting, ironing board and a door stop. 2 magpies down for the morning
    Attachment 135789
    Even with a suppressor those cartridges seem a little large to be firing indoors

.22-250 rem, about perfect as an indoor plinker..

northdude
    Hello lads ,
    I used to but use a 22hornet now

Hello lads ,
    I’ve owned one for 20 years, it is a very effective small game round. When I was farming I did quite a bit of pest control and used a few different rifles: a classic old .22 with supersonics, a suppressed .22 running subsonics, a .22mag, and a .223. I generally preferred the subsonic .22 or the .22mag. An accurate 22 running subs and a scope with a BDC reticle or reliable dialling is a deadly piece of kit, and the lack of noise often results in a bigger tally. The 22mag was a lot simpler though, just hold dead on out to about 120yd and it would poleaxe small game. The 223 felt like overkill within about 150yd, so the 22mag occupied the middle ground nicely. Never used an hmr but they would have a bit more range and less wind drift (and less energy at closer ranges)

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 View Post
    I’ve owned one for 20 years, it is a very effective small game round. When I was farming I did quite a bit of pest control and used a few different rifles: a classic old .22 with supersonics, a suppressed .22 running subsonics, a .22mag, and a .223. I generally preferred the subsonic .22 or the .22mag. An accurate 22 running subs and a scope with a BDC reticle or reliable dialling is a deadly piece of kit, and the lack of noise often results in a bigger tally. The 22mag was a lot simpler though, just hold dead on out to about 120yd and it would poleaxe small game. The 223 felt like overkill within about 150yd, so the 22mag occupied the middle ground nicely. Never used an hmr but they would have a bit more range and less wind drift (and less energy at closer ranges)
    I am inheriting a .22 winmag and am going to shooting on quite a flat farm. The main road is not too far away and there is cattle/horses on the farm . I am a little worried about the distance I will be able to shoot the 22winmag. There is a massive amount of rabbits and hares + feral cats on the farm. The farm is about 200 acres , its not surrounded by houses but I still will have to be careful. It has a river running down the back and quite a few tree lines which rabbits like to hang out at. I just will just have to check my firing zone and be super careful.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I am inheriting a .22 winmag and am going to shooting on quite a flat farm. The main road is not too far away and there is cattle/horses on the farm . I am a little worried about the distance I will be able to shoot the 22winmag. There is a massive amount of rabbits and hares + feral cats on the farm. The farm is about 200 acres , its not surrounded by houses but I still will have to be careful. It has a river running down the back and quite a few tree lines which rabbits like to hang out at. I just will just have to check my firing zone and be super careful.
    Jusepy if you take care to observe the seven basic rules then there should not be any safety issues.
    Last edited by Rushy; 13-04-2020 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Bloody spell check
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

.22 mag ammo has come a long way in last few years in order to keep up with the 17s....you can NOW get subsonic which is quiet through a suppressor or super quick fragile projectiles that should break up and not bounce around the countryside....even older std type 22mag ammo made a mess of rabbits compared to .22lr its a great wee round BUT ammunition prices are getting up to cheapest .223
    use it and enjoy it...just be aware of your backstop/firing zone and you should be fine.
    Jusepy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Jusepy if you take care to observe the seven basic rules then there should not be any safety issues.
    What he said. Follow those rules and you are good to go, climb into ‘em!

Dark night, and strong winds. Just perfect conditions for sneaking up on the rabbits.
    And I see the neighbor rolled a melon under the fence which is always a nice bonus.

Name:  rabbit-watermellon.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  148.2 KB
    Mintie likes this.