Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree18722Likes

Thread: What little pesties did you bowl over today?

I like your kill ratio. I clean out peacocks from around polyhouses for my neighbour with a M2 Benelli. Last time I was able to sneak up on them, got the first on the ground, and the other three on the wing. 4 from 4. Love it!
    Shearer and 30.06king like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06king View Post
    if my luck holds those big cocks should be there for me to find next time.
    you mayyyyyyyyyyy want to rephrase that
    kukuwai, altair, schwen and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by schwen View Post
    I like your kill ratio. I clean out peacocks from around polyhouses for my neighbour with a M2 Benelli. Last time I was able to sneak up on them, got the first on the ground, and the other three on the wing. 4 from 4. Love it!
    You must be skilled taking them on the wing. I am a barely adequate shotgun shooter and don't think I would do as well as you.
    I've noticed that Peacocks are strong and fairly rapid flyers, especially if starting from on high and flying downhill. Even on the level when springing up to clear the ground into flight they do pretty well. Those massive tails on the biggest roosters don't seem to impede them much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    you mayyyyyyyyyyy want to rephrase that
    Haha .... yes, probably not the best chosen phrase. I posted late at night and probably wasn't as alert as I could have been. Oh well, too late to edit now so it will stand.
    You must have a mind like mine. Probably I would have thought the same if reading it posted by someone else

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    You must be skilled taking them on the wing. I am a barely adequate shotgun shooter and don't think I would do as well as you.
    Name:  IMG_2143.jpeg
Views: 148
Size:  100.2 KB
    If you look at this Peacock taking flight, you can see that more than half of its length is in its tail feathers. If you don’t have the lead placement correct with your shot gun the fall of shot can be into the tail feathers.
    30.06king likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I've noticed that Peacocks are strong and fairly rapid flyers, especially if starting from on high and flying downhill. Even on the level when springing up to clear the ground into flight they do pretty well. Those massive tails on the biggest roosters don't seem to impede them much at all.
    I shoot clays every weekend and sometimes during the week. I shot a 90/100 at skeet the week before last with my Benelli, and that's my gun of choice for sporting and compak too. Shooting those peacocks was like swinging through 3 low house targets from station 4.
    Marty Henry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    If you look at this Peacock taking flight, you can see that more than half of its length is in its tail feathers. If you don’t have the lead placement correct with your shot gun the fall of shot can be into the tail feathers.
    It's better to miss in front than behind.

Thursday evening walk then quick walk spotlight in North Canterbury. One of those awesome but frustrating outings with wind and not enough long range .22 practice. Ended up with about 20 rabbits/hares over a couple of hours. I was going over/under left and right while the rabbits laughed at me (before the next round hit). Had some really good shots though. Rifle was spot on just operator error.

Name:  20240425_171234.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  250.8 KB
    SL600, schwen, 30.06king and 1 others like this.

Mate recently introduced me to shooting off a tripod. Life changing for the areas I regularly shoot.
    I tended not to head out after it rained, as I'd get a tad wet when shooting off the bipod, and used shooting sticks when the grass was long.
    Now I can stand and shoot, with accuracy only slightly less than using the bipod.
    Just waiting for my Arken Zulus scope with the rangefinder to arrive, and then the excuses for missing shots due to bullet drop guestimation, shooting through long grass, etc are things of the past. Problem then is my average shooting capabilities will get highlighted.

Name:  PXL_20240427_084122958.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  5.79 MB
    Ranal, short swede, flock and 1 others like this.