Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: $ value of harvested venison?

$ value of harvested venison?

Has anyone ever weighed up their total venison meat harvest per animal, and compared it to the equivalent value of venison bought from a shop? Obviously I'm not taking into account harvest costs (firearms, gear, transport, butchery and further processing etc), just a rough direct comparison of total end product relative to the price you'd pay for the equivalent from a shop?

One of the magazines did an article on it years ago and it was valued at quite a bit, $600+???
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Someone asked me that question recently and I didn’t know so had a look at the supermarket next time I was there. They had venison mince for about $20/kg, medallions and diced venison for about $45/kg and steak for about $65/kg.

The most recent deer I shot, a 7pter, I ended up with about 13kg of beautiful steak and roast cuts & about 25kg of trimmings which I’ll be taking to the butcher for sausages, salamis etc. Based on the above prices the equivalent quantity in venison would cost well over $1k all up.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Years ago cut up a good size venison at the local butchers.
    We put every thing over the scale and printed the relevant stickers for beef.
    Think it was close to $700.
    We still don't buy any meat but do get small goods done as run out of time to do my own as I have done in the past.
    Paddock to plate is good stuff!

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    Trout, ebf, timattalon and 2 others like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

I think measuring it against the price of beef is a better comparison. How many of us buy venison at a supermarket when buying steak or mince. Not me.

Most famillies buy beef,lamb,pig and chicken,so you got take a average price of the lot.Venison is about $20kg for stir fry and minces,$40 for rump and silver side,roasts.$60kg for back steaks.So you gota compared with average familly meat buy and its not venison,thats for sure.I weighed and packed all i got last summer.If you got 20kgs of packed venison off one deer at beef average price,say $22/kg =$440.Take yr expences of a hunting trip out of that and whats left over keeps the house budget down.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

when piece of venison steak ,cooked quickly in hot pan with garlic steak seasoning hits the tastebuds and hardly needs chewing....ITS PRICELESS.... but yes if you get 15kgs of meat off animal at $30 per kg......it sure is worth carrying it out...still cant get head around velvet stag being left intact that close to vechile....

Never leave venison behind,no point in going hunting.

Ask my mate who just found the power off to 2 x chest freezers full of venison. It had cost him about $600 to get it processed at the homekill place!

Works out to be the most expensive and hardest earned piece of meat to touch your lips after cost of gear, transportation, and maintenance. BUT, if you were worried about that then hunting is not for you.
    Puffin and Pixie Z like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    Ask my mate who just found the power off to 2 x chest freezers full of venison. It had cost him about $600 to get it processed at the homekill place!
    Most insurance will cover that cost.

Look at the meat prices in our local 4 square,cheaper to buy a box of ammo.
    mimms2 and caberslash like this.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Never leave venison behind,no point in going hunting.
    i usually leave it behind but its still running around

Lols

If you add up how much you’ve spent on hunting gear and compare that with how much meat you get from hunting you should be running at around $2,000 per deer.
    If it adds up to anything less than that you really should by some new gear, European binoculars certainly help to the the ratio up!!
    tetawa, Puffin, Pengy and 5 others like this.