Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: $91,000 for 0 goats

$91k seems cheap compared to this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ands-hunt-pest

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    In a weird way that makes more sense. They have a million times more chance of keeping those islands predator free. Maybe we should send a lot of the doc/council crowd down there to the island to look after it.

Local hunters should be able to keep the numbers down no problem but eradication is an ecologists expensive dream. The goats will be back. As soon someone dumps a trailer load of goats back in the Hunuas you have failed. To achieve eradication on the mainland you need to fence everyone out using very expensive large fences with extensive maintenance programs. A lot of people would like to do this as they think of public land as their Utopian laboratory where only they have access. They want to be in control.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Don't go to southern as thats private land, Im having few issues with illegal hunters in there. We allow the kids from Dilworth school to use the land so can be a bit of a worry with people hunting illegal in the area.
    One time 2 years back I was sleeping in the Hunt and in the middle of the night someone fires a gun just 20 to 50 meters away... sh#t scared the life out of me

Use to be heaps of goats there 20 years or so ago but now I've not seen one in over 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    You can hunt the Southern "DOC part of the ranges" on an open Permit. Problem is the same cullers go through there so there's fuck all in there. The permits for pigs are easy enough to get but with all the other recreational user firearms are a no go.
    Don't go to southern as thats private land, Im having few issues with illegal hunters in there. We allow the kids from Dilworth school to use the land so can be a bit of a worry with people hunting illegal in the area.
    One time 2 years back I was sleeping in the Hunt and in the middle of the night someone fires a gun just 20 to 50 meters away... sh#t scared the life out of me

Use to be heaps of goats there 20 years or so ago but now I've not seen one in over 10 years.
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevs View Post

I havent bothered hunting the place. Sucks because it's just down the road but there's no point slogging through that kind of country if cullers are hitting it regularly.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

The same tension happened many years ago in a certain Forest Park in central NI and the head honcho used to deprecate private hunters as not having the skill level of privateers. He pulled his head in or stopped saying that in public when a large cocky hunter threatened to throw him head first into the toilet.