Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1080 drops and how effective is the deer repellant

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1

    1080 drops and how effective is the deer repellant

    Hi guys, Im new to the site so any help would be appreciated.

    Looking at doing a deer hunting trip in the Kaimanawas along Clements Mill Rd however there has been a 1080 drop in this area.

    I have emailed DOC about the issue but they werent very helpful and basically said that the 1080 is covered in deer repellant meaning the deer wont eat it - this apparently reduces the level of deer "by-kill" but not completely elimiate it so you are basically eating at your own risk.

    Ive heard you can tell if a deer has eaten it by the colour of its insides etc but im not sure if its worth the trip down from Auckland if we are unable to eat anything we kill

    Does anyone know more about this issue?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    A Good Keen Girl Dougie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    4,573
    Hi Jemm, welcome to the site. Just wait until after dinner time and this thread will explode with comments. Good luck mate.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

  3. #3
    Member hunter308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    3,084
    Jemm park up at poronui and walk the poled route through poronui station and head for the Oamaru DoC hut it is outside the 1080 buffer zone and there are deer around that area it is a 3:40 walk so you will want to be in there for a few nights to make it worthwhile. As for deer repellent I have no faith in it or trust it. If you can afford it book a flight with helisika and get choppered in to the Oamaru Doc hut
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT


    To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals
    .

  4. #4
    sturg4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Whakatete Bay... Coromandel
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemm009 View Post
    Hi guys, Im new to the site so any help would be appreciated.

    Looking at doing a deer hunting trip in the Kaimanawas along Clements Mill Rd however there has been a 1080 drop in this area.

    I have emailed DOC about the issue but they werent very helpful and basically said that the 1080 is covered in deer repellant meaning the deer wont eat it - this apparently reduces the level of deer "by-kill" but not completely elimiate it so you are basically eating at your own risk.

    Ive heard you can tell if a deer has eaten it by the colour of its insides etc but im not sure if its worth the trip down from Auckland if we are unable to eat anything we kill

    Does anyone know more about this issue?
    .................................................. .................



    Hi Jemm... Myself and a couple of Taupo guys stayed at Sika Lodge ...(We were generously given free accomadation) While we watched and monitored a Clements road aerial drop about four years ago...It was a carrot drop. The first baits we picked up were almost purple in colour from the deer repellant. The deer reppellant in this case was (Deer Blood).

    The drop finished about four and by half five it was raining steadily... 10 oclock it was still raining and the deer repellant had washed off the carrot pieces completely. Whether the deer repellant retained any usefullness beyond this point we were unable to assertain... but the general consensus was, probably not.

    Put it this way I would not be eating any animal no matter what they say out of that area.
    Last edited by Spanners; 07-08-2012 at 02:59 PM.

  5. #5
    Caretaker Wildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    2,699
    I could be wrong but 1080 only accumulates in the Liver?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    I could be wrong but 1080 only accumulates in the Liver?
    And it is excreted realitively quickly and doesn't accumulate like most of the so called safe toxins.

  7. #7
    sturg4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Whakatete Bay... Coromandel
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    And it is excreted realitively quickly and doesn't accumulate like most of the so called safe toxins.
    About 10 days...So if you have baits on the ground for 3 months then I would take that time frame into consideration.

  8. #8
    Caretaker Wildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    About 10 days...So if you have baits on the ground for 3 months then I would take that time frame into consideration.
    The toxin is fucked pretty quickly when exposed to water though, that's not the case for the baits most of the time but as you say I would avoid the place for the the usual 6 months if you were unsure...

  9. #9
    sturg4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Whakatete Bay... Coromandel
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    I could be wrong but 1080 only accumulates in the Liver?
    I wouldnt go head to head with you on the liver thing 'wildman" dogs never seem to get as far as the liver and they are stuffed.

    It would be alright I guess if you didnt plan on using your knackers in the future. But 1080 is rated as a male reproductive toxin in some country's. Particularly America where they make it. Like most bad shit it goes for your gonads.

    From our own Ministry of Health Publications...Public Health Perspectives...December 2008.

    "On this basis the greatest concern would be short-term exposures at high concentration particularly for pregnant woman during the vulnerable periods of organ development in their unborn babies.

    Studies show that 1080 can cause foetal skeletal malformation, cardimyopathy/damage to heart muscle, and testicular effects/ reduction in sperm count in animals........................................... ....................

    Considering the Kiwi male already has the lowest sperm count in the Western Worlds....The Aussie may not be able to match us in Olympic medals per head...but he is a damn sight more potent and they have already offered their services to their poor Trans Tasman neighbours. You dont want to be sending your wife to Australia on holiday.

    If I was planning a family I would not be taking the risk.

    On another plain look at the problems Vietnam Veterans exposed to Agent Orange have passed on to their next generation and in some cases I believe the generation after that.
    Last edited by Scribe; 08-08-2012 at 06:38 PM.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    3,097
    Interesting stuff Scribe. Not disputing anything you quoted. If you put the word Marijuana at the top of the page most of the results would be the same. Yet half the retards up in your neck of the woods want the shit legalised.

  11. #11
    sturg4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Whakatete Bay... Coromandel
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Interesting stuff Scribe. Not disputing anything you quoted. If you put the word Marijuana at the top of the page most of the results would be the same. Yet half the retards up in your neck of the woods want the shit legalised.
    Yes I agree, "7mm" many things are bad for you, most of these things you take the option on using them or not like Maijuana. Up here we dont have the option whether we take 1080 or not it is dropped into our water supplies.

    The DVD 'Poisoning Paradise' Some of the scenes with the baits in the water are shot In Kauaeraunga River the Thames water supplies...Some of the baits we found in the stream around the water filter of a childrens camp occupied at the time we traced the line back to the tanks and they were filling at the time. This was The "Kauaeraunga Forest Education Camp"

    We dont like it.

    The legal allowable limit for 1080 in water samples after a drop is exceeded many times on many drops

    1080 is not supposed to be in our water supplies. The Medical Officer of Health sets buffer zones of 60 metres around both human and stock water supplies. Most of drops I have monitored or gone in after for a look we have found the buffer zone have been ignored and the baits have entered the river at normal sowing rates...Indeed all of the resource consents I have read state "that providing 1080 bait does not enter a river at greater than normal sowing rates it is a non notifyable incident".
    Last edited by Scribe; 09-08-2012 at 09:54 AM.

  12. #12
    Caretaker Wildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    2,699
    Scribe you could also put drinking and smokes in that same category I'd say. As well as having your cell phone in your pocket, having a bad diet and god knows what else. I'm not saying 1080 wont kill you if you eat it but if you truly want to understand what it is and how it works then you need to get past the emotive stuff that people like the Graff boys put forward. The reality is that it is a poison and as such is a tool. How that tool is used is the contentious part... 1080 unfortunately is especially effective at killing dogs, you need a much smaller dose to kill a dog than you do a possum. They have used it Aussie to control foxes and the like... Relatively, it isn't that toxic to birds as it is to mammals, hence why we use in so much in NZ. We have no native mammals that are of by-catch concern. Also go and compare the accumulation and break down rates with other poisons such as Brodi and you will see it 1080 aint so bad...
    Savage1 likes this.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Scribe you could also put drinking and smokes in that same category I'd say. As well as having your cell phone in your pocket, having a bad diet and god knows what else. I'm not saying 1080 wont kill you if you eat it but if you truly want to understand what it is and how it works then you need to get past the emotive stuff that people like the Graff boys put forward. The reality is that it is a poison and as such is a tool. How that tool is used is the contentious part... 1080 unfortunately is especially effective at killing dogs, you need a much smaller dose to kill a dog than you do a possum. They have used it Aussie to control foxes and the like... Relatively, it isn't that toxic to birds as it is to mammals, hence why we use in so much in NZ. We have no native mammals that are of by-catch concern. Also go and compare the accumulation and break down rates with other poisons such as Brodi and you will see it 1080 aint so bad...
    Possibly the most common sense reply so far.

  14. #14
    sturg4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Whakatete Bay... Coromandel
    Posts
    1,032
    Name:  2012-08-09-1110-39.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  585.1 KB

    Far from being emotive I have put the time in on the ground pre poison and post poison monitoring some of the biggest 1080 drops in the 90s...and I dont know anybody who spends more time in post poison forests than the Graf boys.

    The asterisks on some of the drops above are drops carried out at the new low sowing rate of 3 to 5 kg per ha You may say these are old statistics. But to these we could add the 41% of the kea killed in 2007 in the Haast/Fox drop and the 78 % kea kill in the North Okarito block 2011.
    Last edited by Scribe; 09-08-2012 at 12:47 PM.

  15. #15
    Caretaker Wildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    2,699
    When you go into things like sperm counts and the like you are doing it to scare people. You need to put things in a wider perspective. Its sounds like you have first hand experience then, as do I, and you will note that I didn't say that it doesn't kill native animals. However it is the best tool we have at the moment to control possums over a large area bar none. I agree we can do better but that is a process ...

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Roe deer engraving
    By David Whyman in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13-08-2012, 04:58 AM
  2. This deer kept figthing
    By linyera in forum Hunting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-06-2012, 07:09 PM
  3. how to age a deer?
    By falconhell in forum Off topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-05-2012, 08:36 PM
  4. Oh Deer
    By .22-250 everything in forum Off topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-04-2012, 11:31 AM
  5. My first deer
    By falconhell in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-02-2012, 03:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!