Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 12g slugs ??

Enfield 303 - 1918 | Trade Me

Lee Enfield 303 with scopemount and shitty scope - bidding was at $70 at time of posting

First deer was with one of these but with open sights, never took a step!
    possummatti likes this.

Ok guys last question . i brought some fiocchi slugs today from H&F and might be going out in the weekend for a hunt. Was just wondering if because a 12g barrel is big and open will dirt, leaves , and other crap go in my barrel as im crashing through the bush and cause a problem. cheers Possummatti

I dont think its a real issue but if you want whack a bit of insulation tape over the muzzle and it'll be fine.
    VIVA LA HOWA

My understanding is that it would still be classed as a shot gun if it had a smooth bore regardless of the ammo or sights. Doc premits for the kiamias exclude the the use of shotguns on deer. I think that the main reason was that they were being used to shoot birds. Save some cash and buy a cheap rifle to get going.

Check out thye thread: when is a shotgun not a shotgun.
    possummatti likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I dont think its a real issue but if you want whack a bit of insulation tape over the muzzle and it'll be fine.
    Thats cool then. just being cautious as ive herd of split barrels and stuff from dirt in barrels .
    Don't think theirs much chance of DOC checking me out even then I don't think they will care as long as i dont have any bird shot on me.

PM sent

[QUOTE=possummatti;274416]Thats cool then. just being cautious as ive herd of split barrels and stuff from dirt in barrels .
    Don't think theirs much chance of DOC checking me out even then I don't think they will care as long as i dont have any bird shot on me.[/QUOTE]

Not really the point possummatti . What you are doing is poaching and going against the conditions of your permit, (IF YOU HAVE ONE). Not something that the think members on this forum should condone

[QUOTE=nelpop;275335]
    Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    Thats cool then. just being cautious as ive herd of split barrels and stuff from dirt in barrels .
    Don't think theirs much chance of DOC checking me out even then I don't think they will care as long as i dont have any bird shot on me.[/QUOTE]

Not really the point possummatti . What you are doing is poaching and going against the conditions of your permit, (IF YOU HAVE ONE). Not something that the think members on this forum should condone

That's a bit dramatic and very condescending !
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

[QUOTE=nelpop;275335]
    Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post

Yes I have a permit. Phoned my cousin inlaw who is a DOC officer and he said they couldn't really care less as long as u only have slugs.
    also "Poaching has traditionally been defined as the illegal hunting, killing or capturing of wild animals, usually associated with land use rights" don't think you'd class it as poaching mate as I have a permit to be there.

Grab this mate, bloody bargain!

308 Bolt Action Rifle | Trade Me

Ten you dan't have to worry, would grab it myself if it had iron sights....
    veitnamcam likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Good on you for getting a permit, but you are still going against the conditions of the permit regardless of what your cousin in law may say.

It says no shotgun, if you have a 12g with slugs it's not exactly a shotgun. If you wanna get silly about it of course.

Its not really defined enough in writing on the website so I say if he works for doc and doesn't give a shit, go hard.
    possummatti likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    if you have a 12g with slugs it's not exactly a shotgun.
    Centrefire slug gun?
    Toby likes this.