Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 2020 Tahr Ballot

Quote Originally Posted by bang View Post
    hmmmm, just realised Barlow is mostly covered by the Perth ZIP 1080 blitzkreig.... @The Claw, how recent is your intel? and what are people's experiences with how susceptible tahr are to the green gold? starting to wonder if we drew the block because nobody else put in for it!
    The DoC/ZIP operation up there (was closely monitored by NZDA members) found that Tahr did not get into the 1080. However the Kea did and as usual they killed a few, despite having a few Tahr carcasses as lures to try and tempt the Kea away from eating the 1080 baits
    Last edited by FRST; 14-11-2019 at 02:17 AM.
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."

@FRST thanks for the info, i had a further google and found the brief GAC report on it - it does sound quite promising.

Most people that have been there camp at lower camp site. No keas at the bottom camp. When biv'd up high those bastards can ruin your day if they feel inclined. Doesn't matter if its dark either, middle of the night c$&#ts.
    Good numbers of tahr up there, well there was this year and last. Its had a whole lot shot out of there by DoC after the ballots finished. 700 odd from top of the landsborough, I'll check.
    Mate shot a 15" this year 6th period. Its typical landsborough country really. Big climbs but relatively good going. Watch the frozen rocks. We found that the bigger boys are almost always close to the Bush edge. Saw more tahr low than high this year too and when I mean low I'm talking on the river flats.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    Most people that have been there camp at lower camp site. No keas at the bottom camp. When biv'd up high those bastards can ruin your day if they feel inclined. Doesn't matter if its dark either, middle of the night c$&#ts.
    Good numbers of tahr up there, well there was this year and last. Its had a whole lot shot out of there by DoC after the ballots finished. 700 odd from top of the landsborough, I'll check.
    Mate shot a 15" this year 6th period. Its typical landsborough country really. Big climbs but relatively good going. Watch the frozen rocks. We found that the bigger boys are almost always close to the Bush edge. Saw more tahr low than high this year too and when I mean low I'm talking on the river flats.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Hi Reindeer is this Baker Creek that you are referring too?
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Had Baker Creek 17 years ago. Snow in the lower campsite. Mate shot a good bull up The Landy towards the north end of the block, opposite Zora Canyon I think that is. Doubt it’s changed in all these years, fun week, great country.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlandstalker View Post
    Hi Reindeer is this Baker Creek that you are referring too?
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Affirmative
    Highlandstalker likes this.