Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree5558Likes

Thread: 223 on deer

Interesting. I am pretty sure Targex projectiles have a Berger Jacket. According to the Berger bullet info on their website their bullets are intended to be very frangible, so maybe this is the reason for the performance you mention.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    Interesting. I am pretty sure Targex projectiles have a Berger Jacket. According to the Berger bullet info on their website their bullets are intended to be very frangible, so maybe this is the reason for the performance you mention.
    They appear to be a little harder or less expansive than the ELDM. Not bad by any means

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    I have a small mountain of those 64g here, great to know they work
    Name:  20240308_154742.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  1.75 MB

Name:  20240308_154934.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  2.00 MB

Very accurate, 25.5gr 2206H, cci 450 primers
    7mmsaum, Tahr, veitnamcam and 2 others like this.
    When hunting think safety first

They cant all be big

237 yds. 74grn Targex. Busted the heart and lungs in half and still made it 60 yards.

Name:  IMG_9689 2.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  210.3 KB
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

That is a very fast wagging tail! A very happy woofer by the looks.
    Nathan F and Tahr like this.
    bunji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yeah_na_missed View Post
    That is a very fast wagging tail! A very happy woofer by the looks.
    She did a great track on it so she should be very happy about herself.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jBT4Ffx7vwM
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Tasty dinner there for the pot.
    Tahr likes this.

Targex do use the Berger jacket but the difference is that Bryn makes his own cores which I expect in the 80 are a little harder than the ELDM. What do you think @gimp ?

The 80 Targex penetrate well and will pass through stout Fallow at 400 yards - thats an indication that they are harder. Good on big deer at closer ranges.

The 74 Targex seem to be more frangible than the 80 and more like the ELDM. I need to do a bit more cutting up and poking around to confirm that though. For me Im tending towards the Targex 74grn being good middle ground between the 69 and the 80. Bryn might chime in. @TARGEX
    Last edited by Tahr; 11-03-2024 at 11:15 AM.
    Trout and Shearer like this.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Targex do use the Berger jacket but the difference is that Bryn makes his own cores which I expect in the 80 are a little harder than the ELDM. What do you think @gimp ?
    They appear to be less expansive than the 80 ELDM. Solid exits on red hinds with shoulder shots at 400m; slightly slower kills at 250 odd m - the ELDM is very rapidly effective, the Targex they seem to wander around for a bit
    Tahr and Shearer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    They appear to be less expansive than the 80 ELDM. Solid exits on red hinds with shoulder shots at 400m; slightly slower kills at 250 odd m - the ELDM is very rapidly effective, the Targex they seem to wander around for a bit
    The .223 stagger.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Perhaps the plastic tip initiating expansion a bit quicker.
    Tahr likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Perhaps the plastic tip initiating expansion a bit quicker.
    No doubt. The targex work fine and shoot very well, just an observation from my experience so far. Might change my mind if I shoot a few more deer with them
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post

The 80 Targex penetrate well and will pass through stout Fallow at 400 yards - thats an indication that they are harder. Good on big deer at closer ranges.

The 74 Targex seem to be more frangible than the 80 and more like the ELDM. I need to do a bit more cutting up and poking around to confirm that though. For me Im tending towards the Targex 74grn being good middle ground between the 69 and the 80. Bryn might chime in. @TARGEX
    @Tahr So I have been using the 73gn ELDM with good results on Fallow. I do have some 69gn Targex that i am thinking of trying. What's you experience with these 69gn pills. I have been sticking to the 73gn and under weights because of the short throat in the Tikka T3x.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

@Tahr So I have been using the 73gn ELDM with good results on Fallow. I do have some 69gn Targex that i am thinking of trying. What's you experience with these 69gn pills. I have been sticking to the 73gn and under weights because of the short throat in the Tikka T3x.
    Nothing wrong with the 69 grn Targex. Ive shot a heap of wallaby and deer with them and they have never let me down. @Nathan F uses them exclusively. I haven't used the 73ELDM but they are well regarded. Really, you could chuck a blanket over the 69, 74, 80 Targex and the 73, 75, 80 ELDM and not be let down.
    - Rumi

One from last night. Bang flop 260 yds
    Name:  IMG_8199.jpeg
Views: 285
Size:  4.03 MB
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Trout and 9 others like this.