Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree5496Likes

Thread: 223 on deer

I like carcass pictures if you managed to get it out whole and hang.
    Tho I have a pretty good idea what it will look like.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I guess its a bit like me using the 22-250 with explosive varmit projectiles going fast to shoot hares at 75 yards...I could do it with the humble .22lr but its just so much more emphatic with big rifle.
    I do understand the advantage of heavier projectiles (why I have 170grn rn for the .270) I also know I can kill deer deader than dead with 50grn load in the 223 IF I get in close and put it in right place.
    Get in close and great placement is the operative words.
    I have seen to many fuckups with bad shot placement guys that tell you they head shoot everything, they go very quiet when I ask how many deer have got away with a blown of jaw to then starve to death.
    Horses for courses, I use the right chambering for the sized critters they are targeting.
    A big stag shot with a 22-250 had nine shots in it by the time it expired.
    Not impressed

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    7mmwsm and Micky Duck like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Name:  04AD073B-EE8F-4105-A77B-62D6E8ED79CD.jpeg
Views: 737
Size:  5.19 MBName:  E2C9969C-586C-4ADA-86B0-C1AF5EE47C56.jpeg
Views: 626
Size:  1.44 MB
    Fallow I got a few weeks ago, have ditched the 223, to fussy as a cartridge, have owned two Tikkas, 1:8and 1:12, both hopeless, a savage 1:12, best I owned for accuracy and a Kimber, yuck. Sold them all and just use a Sako 6.5 x 55. Clover leaf at 100 without trying, so this is now my go to.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Double up
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Attachment 167676Attachment 167677
    Fallow I got a few weeks ago, have ditched the 223, to fussy as a cartridge, have owned two Tikkas, 1:8and 1:12, both hopeless, a savage 1:12, best I owned for accuracy and a Kimber, yuck. Sold them all and just use a Sako 6.5 x 55. Clover leaf at 100 without trying, so this is now my go to.
    Funnily enough my go to rifle is a tikka 6.5x55 to!
    Punches way above its weight and scarily accurate.
    On its 3rd barrel now

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    EFriz likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Tonight, just on deer o’clock. I’d actually gone up the hill with the intention of longer range rabbits and hares, but these two were in the way. The .223 Remington will always have its place when it comes to precision deer shooting.

Name:  308507F6-D6A7-4FCD-9A99-721FE6A0BBF1.jpeg
Views: 684
Size:  1.02 MB
    Just...say...the...word

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Tonight, just on deer o’clock. I’d actually gone up the hill with the intention of longer range rabbits and hares, but these two were in the way. The .223 Remington will always have its place when it comes to precision deer shooting.

Attachment 167684
    I don’t want to hear of your success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Flyblown likes this.

Attachment 167676Attachment 167677
    You must surely be the first person in the world to call 223rem a fussy cartridge.
    It along with 308win would have to be the most simple and forgiving and cheap cartridges to shoot and load for.... everything shoots well!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    Tahr, Micky Duck and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    It's hanging in a tree out back all skinned and gutted. Will try and get pictures before Sharon - aka Mac the Knife - gets to it and starts boning it out. Made a mess on the way through and nicked the heart but not an impressive wound channel or exit hole. Hence I look forward to the 69gr TMK's

Cheers
    Phil
    You just wont get an impressive wound channel with 223.
    Its 50 to 80 grain at quick to moderate velocities.

It didn't go far tho did it.

A decent projectile like the one you used or a heavier and soft one will do the job every time if you do yours.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

I’m with @vietnamcam on this one: a fussy tikka 223? Is there such a thing? But sounds like your 6.5 is doing the business, keep up the good work
    veitnamcam, Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post

Attachment 167684
    Projectiles/details?

50gr Z-Max, 3400fps, 150m. Mum and progeny I’m guessing. I shot the hind first, the others (4 or 5) ran like a boatload of illegals at the shot, but the young one stayed rooted to the spot staring at the recently departed. So together in life and in death, and now together in the chiller.
    Nathan F, Tahr, veitnamcam and 4 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    It's hanging in a tree out back all skinned and gutted. Will try and get pictures before Sharon - aka Mac the Knife - gets to it and starts boning it out. Made a mess on the way through and nicked the heart but not an impressive wound channel or exit hole. Hence I look forward to the 69gr TMK's

Cheers
    Phil
    Conversely I’ve had a factory PMC projectile from my 223,Mini14 ( remember them?) go through a large red hind, made a neat hole between ribs, through the lungs and out between ribs on the far side.
    Hind went about 30 yards before tipping up.
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Things to remember here Phil is that projectile construction and (impact)velocity are the major players in terminal performance.

Inline with the opening posts question if constrained by twist rate then yes varmint projectiles in the heaviest you can stabilize are an option to extend effective range but a bad option for close body shots.

I have lost count of how many times I have heard someone say and this is with any caliber " they pencil threw up close" "but work good out far"

This is the exact opposite of how bullets work and behave on soft targets.
    Ask for more information there is none why?...because..they shot it in the guts in the thermal and it slunk off.

The higher the impact velocity the more violent the expansion, so if you took the same exact shot at 200y I would bet both my testicles it would have reacted simarly and the projectile would have exited.

I recovered another 80gr ELDM from a fallow doe the other day, shot at about 20m high shoulder, nice mushroom under the skin on the offside. A 2nd doe shot at a bit longer range,maybe 40m, the bullet entered the brisket and exited behind the shoulder, not recovered.
    Tahr and Trout like this.