Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree5287Likes

Thread: 223 on deer

anywhere in the eye son,anywhere in the eye
    get as close as you can,then 5 yards closer
    pick your shot or let it walk away
    doinit, BeeMan, Padox and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    Hey? I'd say there has been one hell of a number of different deer types put down with 55grn'ers...but hey we know that eh? Smaller 50grn'ers have taken down a hellova number over many decades also ,fact.
    That was a feeble attempt at humour on my part, about all the talk on heavier pills here. I'll go make a cup of tea now.
    veitnamcam, doinit and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    That's good to know, this thread would otherwise make you think 55gn don't work on deer!
    I stocked up on them a while back ready for the impending global shortage. A very old old old wise man from the king country said many a deer has been dropped with with traditional projectiles. The fandangle ones are just a luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    anywhere in the eye son,anywhere in the eye
    get as close as you can,then 5 yards closer
    pick your shot or let it walk away
    Ha'ha..you been sittin round a fire with some ol koot eh
    Trout and BeeMan like this.

oih I resemble that remark.
    I dont believe there are many hunting books written before 2000 that I havent read at least twice.... cut my teeth on Holden,Burdon,Orman and Co......
    I learnt to shoot using single shot 410.....my 22 was remington single shot and man did that account for a LOT of animals over the years.... Ive never owned a semi,Ive inherited a semi shotgun now....but just as happy to take the break open
    I will probably get flammed for typing this,but Im big enough and definately ugly enough to take it on the chin.....
    In my opinion,it was the wholesale uptake of semi 223s that gave it bad reputation on deer sized animals......some folks had got into the spray n pray type of shooting..... when folks use ANY type of 222/223/22hp savage/22-250 and take time to get in close,aim properly and fire single round into boiler room or nervous sytem...animals fall over
    when you KNOW you have 5-10-15-30 more bangs at your disposal just by another yank on trigger,that first shot CAN BE RUSHED,well thats what Ive seen over the years....I KNOW for myself,when using single shot break open,my shot to kill ratio has ALWAYS been very very high...as soon as there was more in mag, it went up.
    Ive not buggered up a deer with 223 yet...cause I make plurry sure shot is going to do bizo or just dont squeaze off...my life experience has taught me I will only get one good shot,so make it count.
    there are a lot of folks on this forum I would dearly love to sit around fire with.
    cold beverage in hand,moreporks calling in back ground,dog curled up asleep by my feet,campoven feed filling puku to excess.
    veitnamcam, Trout, Scouser and 4 others like this.

Me old dad manys manys yrs ago had a single shot 22 remmington.Fk could he shoot with it,deadly as.Even head shot ducks on the water at 70 80 yds with open sigths.
    TeRei and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    oih I resemble that remark.
    I dont believe there are many hunting books written before 2000 that I havent read at least twice.... cut my teeth on Holden,Burdon,Orman and Co......
    I learnt to shoot using single shot 410.....my 22 was remington single shot and man did that account for a LOT of animals over the years.... Ive never owned a semi,Ive inherited a semi shotgun now....but just as happy to take the break open
    I will probably get flammed for typing this,but Im big enough and definately ugly enough to take it on the chin.....
    In my opinion,it was the wholesale uptake of semi 223s that gave it bad reputation on deer sized animals......some folks had got into the spray n pray type of shooting..... when folks use ANY type of 222/223/22hp savage/22-250 and take time to get in close,aim properly and fire single round into boiler room or nervous sytem...animals fall over
    when you KNOW you have 5-10-15-30 more bangs at your disposal just by another yank on trigger,that first shot CAN BE RUSHED,well thats what Ive seen over the years....I KNOW for myself,when using single shot break open,my shot to kill ratio has ALWAYS been very very high...as soon as there was more in mag, it went up.
    Ive not buggered up a deer with 223 yet...cause I make plurry sure shot is going to do bizo or just dont squeaze off...my life experience has taught me I will only get one good shot,so make it count.
    there are a lot of folks on this forum I would dearly love to sit around fire with.
    cold beverage in hand,moreporks calling in back ground,dog curled up asleep by my feet,campoven feed filling puku to excess.
    Ha'ha'ha your a hard case Duck,good write up,fare enough although I think yi may have just picked it up a tad the wrong way.
    The Anywhere in the eye lad saying has been around for ever,was told to myself at the old age of 13yrs. My look up to hunter at the time was a culler and friend of my old mans. Many yrs on me myself and I would have used that old saying a lot and mostly to younger dudes keen to listen and maybe pick up on good hints in regards to hunting etc. And even tiday I still meet a few of those same guys who I used to help and they still to this day give me shit about how to use a small pill properly,followed by anywhere in the eye lad,blah,bla hard cases.
    I'll bet that ol saying will be still goin when I'm long gone eh.
    And to be honest it says it how it is,,,and it sure as hell works.
    Micky Duck and BeeMan like this.

to look at it ANOTHER way...when the trebly fist hit our hunting scene...it was an amazingly light rifle that was incredibly accurate compared to MOST other rifles around at the time....so folks who used them,learnt to pick shots or they ended up with wounded game and chucked rifle away in discust.... the chapter 222 the controversial one...penned by Philip Holden all those years ago still hold merit today...NOTHING has changed with animals,we have faster twist barrels allowing heavier projectiles which MIGHT give SLIGHTLY more margin for error...but its slightly....
    the folks who used them and loved them ,got in close and picked the shot.....that much HASNT changed.
    doinit, kukuwai and Muttonguts like this.

This thread was dropping back a bit. .223 still works.

Name:  20211111_135510.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  7.20 MB

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    This thread was dropping back a bit. .223 still works.

Attachment 183363
    Nice. Fat. Is that a girl one? That rock looks like a wall in the cafe after a gangster shoot out.
    257weatherby and Micky Duck like this.

A reasonably aged nanny. Aka 15kg of shoulders, ribs, shanks backsteaks and boned out hindquarters. Neck meat was a bit past it

I think @gimp means the neck came ready minced
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

With all this talk about .223 it makes me wonder, has anyone got any observations about differences (if any) in performance between .223 and 5.56x45?
    Mauser308 likes this.

@Tahr where did you source your aftermarket T3 mag from?

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    @Tahr where did you source your aftermarket T3 mag from?
    Australia. Easy too import. Someone will know the name, or I will look it up in a week when I get home.

Later, remembered. Waters magazines.