Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree5558Likes

Thread: 223 on deer

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    They seem to like it. Fallow don't seem to mind the cold.
    This pic was taken from where it was. There were more higher up than lower down.

Attachment 201364
    What are you poacher's doing in the south island anyways?
    XR500 likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    I dropped one off for Andy with the pack.
    Name:  Hanging in the garage..jpg
Views: 567
Size:  3.51 MB
    Look what I found in my garage!, if I'd known it was this easy I'd have given this hunting carry on a crack ages ago. Half a dozen people with their hands up for different bits, just spreading the goodwill, outside into the sun to break down, neighbor looks over fence and gets handed a big fat back steak
    Tahr, veitnamcam, nor-west and 9 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Attachment 201371
    Look what I found in my garage!, if I'd known it was this easy I'd have given this hunting carry on a crack ages ago. Half a dozen people with their hands up for different bits, just spreading the goodwill, outside into the sun to break down, neighbor looks over fence and gets handed a big fat back steak
    Excellent
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    What are you poacher's doing in the south island anyways?
    We just watch the forecast. If snow is predicted we know the coast is clear 'cos all you SI lot will be wrapped up warm by the fire
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Have you left anything @Tahr? Im there next week and was hoping for a bit of shooting
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Have you left anything @Tahr? Im there next week and was hoping for a bit of shooting
    @Marty Henry You will be just fine. They are still making them
    - Rumi

Clean cold bore shooting today. Prone, bipod, no rear support. Model 7. 100 yards.

First 2 shots 52 grn Targex. 3rd shot on top 3" cross 60 grn Hammer Hunter.

Well happy. Dialed it up 1.5" for both loads to be dead on at 200 yards. Tomorrow, deer with the 60 grn Hammer maybe.

Name:  IMG_6803.jpeg
Views: 650
Size:  3.62 MB
    veitnamcam, Trout, Dreamer and 5 others like this.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Attachment 201371
    Like the police officer many many years ago who pulled over a ute which had exited the Onga pub loaded with deer and pigs. Boys full and good mood. Officer have you ever seen such fat and juicy pigs. Officer looks around and seeing no other cars opens his boot. A fat pig is deposited and the parties seperate without another word spoken.Life was so different.
    Tahr, madmaori, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

This stag and five others tonight didn’t know what hit them. This fella was solid. Just using 55gn hornady sp out of my 14.5 inch A-bolt. Longest shot tonight approx 180m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nathan F, 7mmsaum, Tahr and 19 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post

This stag and five others tonight didn’t know what hit them. This fella was solid. Just using 55gn hornady sp out of my 14.5 inch A-bolt. Longest shot tonight approx 180m.

That stag looks in good nic. A tree eater I guess?
    - Rumi

Well that was fun. The 60 grain Hammer Hunters seem to work. Im pushing them at about 3100 fps with 2208. All around the 200 yards. 2 broadside chest shots, and one head on into chest. The head on one copped 2 'cos he was dallying around a bit. It will be interesting to see the damage when I break them down.

Name:  IMG_6815.jpeg
Views: 511
Size:  4.72 MB
    - Rumi

That stag looks in good nic. A tree eater I guess?
    Shot him in a tree block, but he’s living in the native and has winter crop paddocks a stones throw away. Was in very good condition

Tahr, Trout, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I broke the 3 deer from yesterday down today. Nothing exceptional about the damage or performance from the very expensive 60 grn Hammer bullets. No pass throughs which surprised me. Only minimal petal damage. While they are "good enough" in .223 ( because they all died) based on my sample of 3 I don't think they are better than the 80 ELDM, 77 Sierra Tipped or 80 grn Targex. And not much better than the common cup and core 55 grn.

On the other hand they are exceptional in my 6.5 prc and .270wsm.
    veitnamcam, Micky Duck and kukuwai like this.
    - Rumi

And here is me in the local today...spotted a nice looking .308.....

When really what I need to contribute to this thread is a .223

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Tahr, veitnamcam and ROKTOY like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

I broke the 3 deer from yesterday down today. Nothing exceptional about the damage or performance from the very expensive 60 grn Hammer bullets. No pass throughs which surprised me. Only minimal petal damage. While they are "good enough" in .223 ( because they all died) based on my sample of 3 I don't think they are better than the 80 ELDM, 77 Sierra Tipped or 80 grn Targex. And not much better than the common cup and core 55 grn.

On the other hand they are exceptional in my 6.5 prc and .270wsm.
    maybe they are a shorter range/higher velocity type load....bugga they didnt work so well,but now at least you know...
    Tahr likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters