Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree5560Likes

Thread: 223 on deer

Quote Originally Posted by Howa1500 View Post
    coal w/ targex?
    Can you get the 80’s anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    So the 80 grn Targex will gỗ right through a solid hind at 180 yards and a spiker at 250. The performance is very impressive. High SD sure makes a difference to penetration. The 69 grn seldom exit and then only on Fallow (still work though).

Attachment 204590

Out on the hind

Attachment 204591

In on the hind

Attachment 204592
    Any suggestion for 223 rifle, except sako85? Thank you. Nice work!! But, all the guts, organs and tendons, how would you like to use or dispose them?
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    bizzare...a 51grn pill that needs a 9" twist......... the 50-55grn barnes are happy in a 12" twist.
    hopefully they work well for you,Barnes really make the wee cartridge shine sub 150 yards....
    It will be interesting to see how they fly .
    The 57 gn ones are the business for bigger critters according to my advisors.
    These projectiles do have a reputation for accuracy though and the company has made inroads into the extreme long range world .
    The thing that holds them back is the cost , but each bullet is made on a CNC lathe not punched out of a mould in the thousands per hour .
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

coal w/ targex?
    Long mag in a Tikka. I will look it up tomorrow. If your mag is under 2.3" (Tikka length) use the 77 grn Sierra TMK.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    It will be interesting to see how they fly .
    The 57 gn ones are the business for bigger critters according to my advisors.
    These projectiles do have a reputation for accuracy though and the company has made inroads into the extreme long range world .
    The thing that holds them back is the cost , but each bullet is made on a CNC lathe not punched out of a mould in the thousands per hour .
    so where the ones floating around some time back..GS Custom think they were....never heard a bad word muttered about them.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    Can you get the 80’s anymore?
    No you cant. I don't think Bryn (Targex) will mind me saying that he can't get the Berger jackets for the 80 grn and he doesn't know know when Berger will supply him. But not any time soon.

I have 200 left and they are now precious. Won't be blazing them at wallaby anymore - will use the 69 grn on them and save the 80's for deer.

Having said this the 80 grn ELDM are back in the retailers and they are pretty good. And I have 200 77 Sierra TMK so personally Im not desperate.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    Any suggestion for 223 rifle, except sako85? Thank you. Nice work!! But, all the guts, organs and tendons, how would you like to use or dispose them?
    Hi @Black Rabbit, I have a Weatherby Vanguard 223. It shoots very accurately and they are a fairly cheap rifle. I paid 600 for mine second hand. Made in Japan by Howa I think.
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    The guts and organs rot on the hill but I always slash the stomach to get the break down going and I always put them in as a discrete place as I can. No matter whether Im on public or private land. I personally don't eat offal.

Often I bone the deer out on the hill and the same as above - everything is left out of sight if I can

When I was selling deer back in the day there was a market for tendons with the dew claws on them so I used to bring them out and dry them to sell. Now it all gets dumped or left on the hill.

The stuff that I take home that is not edible (like skins and bones on whole gutted deer) I put into black plastic rubbish bags and take to the City dump. Sometimes people take some bones for their dogs.

I don't know of a bad brand of .223. From my experience I would choose from a Savage, Howa, CZ, M7 Remington or Tikka. Tikka are the safest choice. Just my opinion. I would choose from those brands because they all have a faster twist. 1:9 or faster. I would go for a 1:8. Then you can shoot lighter and heavier bullets.
    Last edited by Tahr; 26-08-2022 at 11:18 PM.
    - Rumi

So the 80 grn Targex will gỗ right through a solid hind at 180 yards and a spiker at 250. The performance is very impressive. High SD sure makes a difference to penetration. The 69 grn seldom exit and then only on Fallow (still work though).

Attachment 204590

Out on the hind

Attachment 204591

In on the hind

Attachment 204592
    The 95gr for 243 will blow your mind.A sensational pill.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    Hi @Black Rabbit, I have a Weatherby Vanguard 223. It shoots very accurately and they are a fairly cheap rifle. I paid 600 for mine second hand. Made in Japan by Howa I think.
    Thank you! Yeah, I heard Japanese does make rifle and parts with their high quality steel and machining quality, but only two types bolt action are selling in Japan for deer hunting.
    Grantn likes this.

The guts and organs rot on the hill but I always slash the stomach to get the break down going and I always put them in as a discrete place as I can. No matter whether Im on public or private land. I personally don't eat offal.

Often I bone the deer out on the hill and the same as above - everything is left out of sight if I can

When I was selling deer back in the day there was a market for tendons with the dew claws on them so I used to bring them out and dry them to sell. Now it all gets dumped or left on the hill.

The stuff that I take home that is not edible (like skins and bones on whole gutted deer) I put into black plastic rubbish bags and take to the City dump. Sometimes people take some bones for their dogs.

I don't know of a bad brand of .223. From my experience I would choose from a Savage, Howa, CZ, M7 Remington or Tikka. Tikka are the safest choice. Just my opinion. I would choose from those brands because they all have a faster twist. 1:9 or faster. I would go for a 1:8. Then you can shoot lighter and heavier bullets.
    Thank you for these details, I will keep it mind. My plan for 223 rifle is something actually has an iron sight on it. Good hunt!! Looking forward to your next and may some day later will bother you again for those deer parts.

targex
    Hi everyone, what "tahr" said is right, I am out of the jackets I need to make the 80gr.224 bullets now & it is a waiting game till more jackets are available.
    That could happen in a couple of months or six months, totally out of my control. Just have to wait till Bergers have more of the J4 jackets I need.
    I still have jackets for the .224 69gr I make.
    Most of the other bullets I make are available except for the 95gr .243 which I am also waiting for more jackets to be able to make them.
    This is partly due to the shortages but it is also a thing I always have to deal with as the cost of jackets is high & to be able to make all the bullets I make I have to carry a lot of different jackets (money invested in other words) & I can only afford to carry so much.
    Also for the 6.5 people out there I am still working on those & waiting for a punch I need to arrive from the States (its on its way), Once I am completely happy with their performance, they will be available. I won't be selling them in big lots to just see them being used on trade me to rip someone off.
    Thanks for being patient & I'll do the best I can to keep those that want them supplied & hopefully hunting /shooting.
    Cheers
    Tahr, outdoorlad, Dreamer and 12 others like this.

coal w/ targex?
    @Howa1500

80 grn Targex 1.976" to ogive. That's 20 thou off lands. Rifle is a Tikka. Waters extended mag.
    Freezer, Howa1500 and 25/08 IMP like this.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so where the ones floating around some time back..GS Custom think they were....never heard a bad word muttered about them.
    GS Custom Bullets really good. Use them mostly back in SA. I e mailed them a few times now but no answer. Their agent here in NZ also not answering so i doubt he still in trade.
    Micky Duck likes this.

69gr TMK at 307yd. MV of 3050.

Name:  20220829_203850.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  5.72 MB

Centre shoulder shot dropped him on the spot. Tried to get up very briefly - a few seconds at most and no follow up required. Massive trauma behind the shoulder, big hole through into the chest cavity, the contents of which were pretty well soupified. No exit.
    Nathan F, Tahr, Dama dama and 10 others like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.