Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree5560Likes

Thread: 223 on deer

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    Near enough the same number of years for me too @grandpamac, 222 before that along with 303 early on then 308. 223 gets the most use.
    I think I would have fired more .223 rounds than any other centre fire although the .308 would be a close second. I probably don't need any other calibre but forget I said that. The 6.5x55 has been a long term favourite but a shortage of rifles has kept the round count low.
    Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    Why not go for the allrounder .243
    Don't have this caliber but I have almost everything else. for the reds in fiordland I use .270 or .308

The farm that has fallow i can access shoots the fallow with his .223 and swears by it. He is a very good shot though.
    I have never really taken to the .243 and have never owned one either. A 6mm Rem might have tickled my fancy but one has never come up. Some now chamber their .243 rifles with 8 inch twists which would be an improvement but there are rifles here that don't get used enough already.
    Grandpamac.
    Trav-6mmrem and Muttonguts like this.

Don't have this caliber but I have almost everything else. for the reds in fiordland I use .270 or .308

The farm that has fallow i can access shoots the fallow with his .223 and swears by it. He is a very good shot though.
    Have a casual read through these 173 pages and then make up your own mind.
    https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/...-moose.130488/
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    Any recommendations @Tahr @grandpamac, or anything to watch out for

budget under 5k with scope and suppressor,
    For that money you just about can get what ever you want. Make sure it has 1:8 twist and don't expect a $2,500 .223 to be any more accurate than a $1000 Howa. Precision is the name of the game so a bit of top end in a scope like 12 through to 18 is an advantage. Its hard to go past a 1:8 Tikka pimped up with a long Waters mag, long bolt stop and carbon stock, and barrel cut to suit your fancy. @Nathan F might sell you his.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    For that money you just about can get what ever you want. Make sure it has 1:8 twist and don't expect a $2,500 .223 to be any more accurate than a $1000 Howa. Precision is the name of the game so a bit of top end in a scope like 12 through to 18 is an advantage. Its hard to go past a 1:8 Tikka pimped up with a long Waters mag, long bolt stop and carbon stock, and barrel cut to suit your fancy. @Nathan F might sell you his.
    Yeah just buy a T3 superlite 1:8 twist supress it and put like a z5 or a VX5 on it and you will have change out of 5k. Upgrade the stock when you can. Triggers fully adjustable . MTN bolt handle maybe? Its gonna shoot .

i have seen a guy shot out his tikka 243 barrel around 1000 rounds, dont think 223 is powerful enough, animals walk away and die unless head or neck shot.

Quote Originally Posted by holdover View Post
    i have seen a guy shot out his tikka 243 barrel around 1000 rounds, dont think 223 is powerful enough, animals walk away and die unless head or neck shot.
    lol
    veitnamcam, Muttonguts and 6.5 CRD like this.

Not true, I think you are just trying to shit stir
    William, Micky Duck and 25/08 IMP like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Haha funny man

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    superdiver likes this.

So thats you un-friended
    veitnamcam, superdiver and csmiffy like this.
    - Rumi

So thats you un-friended
    a way to keep the thread hotter.
    Tahr likes this.

Why not have both? I have no complaint with either of mine

Walking my rifle
    me thinks you must look more gooder
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

This thread needs to be kept going so I took the .223 today. And Ive seen signs of @gimp wavering so need to keep his interest up - he's been asking questions on here about the 6mmARC for goodness sake

Roared this stag out of the trees and shot him at 327 yds with 80 grn Targex. Angled shot in behind his shoulder but not quite forward enough. He wasn't going anywhere but a follow up flush into his shoulder ended his day.

Attachment 220994

Attachment 220995
    Wavering? Nonsense

Name:  20230413_103013.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  5.69 MB
    Nathan F, Tahr, outdoorlad and 6 others like this.

It's getting out and about Name:  20230410_090549.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  7.71 MB

Name:  20230407_114847.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  6.65 MB