Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree5559Likes

Thread: 223 on deer

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    A broken 80 grn Targex from off side ribs of lung shot Fallow spiker. Just breaking the skin. Dropped on spot about 180 yds.Attachment 222406
    It's a dam shame we can't get more of them.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    It's a dam shame we can't get more of them.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Brian and I had a muck around this evening. I sighted my Tikka in with Targex 74 grn Bryn made for me. 2950 fps from standard barrel and shots touching (until barrel & suppressor got hot). Have 200 loaded for next week. The M7 is sighted in for 69 Targex at 3K. 100 of them loaded.
    nor-west, Trout, Mooseman and 3 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Whenever a person wants to use one, I suppose? The point is more that I wouldn't consider a 223 with good bullets limiting at all in ordinary hunting circumstances.

I wouldn't try to shoot a red stag at 500 metres with the .223, I imagine. I also don't tend to find that I need to.

Read Mike Bennetts book where he cites Charlie Emmerson shooting 3 stags at 500m with a 222.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Read Mike Bennetts book where he cites Charlie Emmerson shooting 3 stags at 500m with a 222.
    and that IS part of the problem.......

Im not saying its completely bullshit...but I would take it with grain of salt too..and if its dinky die honest to God truth..you have experienced shooter with no buck fever using firearm he uses everyday and has done for years so knows bullet path inside out .....it might have happened...but its a hell of a risk to take if a mouse farts somewhere along bullets path it will move off track.
    if young job newbie reads that then tries it,he will more than likely miss completely or wound animal
    no different to me picking up Philipo or dannybs long range cannon and expecting to shoot a deer at 750 yards without rangefinder or dialing up.....it might happen...but I wouldnt bet on it turning out well.
    veitnamcam, viper and outlander like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

i am a new hunter and dont know where to hunt really, a bit scared to go hunt in open public hunting, is there any hunting ground in south waikato or close to auckland? is anybody can hook us or give us tips where to hunt wild animals

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    and that IS part of the problem.......

Im not saying its completely bullshit...but I would take it with grain of salt too..and if its dinky die honest to God truth..you have experienced shooter with no buck fever using firearm he uses everyday and has done for years so knows bullet path inside out .....it might have happened...but its a hell of a risk to take if a mouse farts somewhere along bullets path it will move off track.
    if young job newbie reads that then tries it,he will more than likely miss completely or wound animal
    no different to me picking up Philipo or dannybs long range cannon and expecting to shoot a deer at 750 yards without rangefinder or dialing up.....it might happen...but I wouldnt bet on it turning out well.
    Yep, had mate telling me how he shot two deer on the run with his 243 at 600 yds with a non dialing scope and no range finder.
    I just nodded my head.
    Worst thing was he actually believed his own story!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by babywalang View Post
    i am a new hunter and dont know where to hunt really, a bit scared to go hunt in open public hunting, is there any hunting ground in south waikato or close to auckland? is anybody can hook us or give us tips where to hunt wild animals
    Are you scared of getting lost or getting shot?

If you are worried about getting lost you need to learn how
    to use a map and compass.
    Forget about hunting until you are confident navigating off track.
    Don't worry about getting shot. .
    As for areas, look on the Department of Conservation website.
    Pureora and Kaimai Forest park would be the closest to Auckland.

targex
    will be more of the 80gr Targex eventually but have to wait till Bergers have more of their J4 jackets available for me to be able to make them.
    Its been a weird few years!
    Cheers
    Tahr, Dreamer, Shearer and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Yep, had mate telling me how he shot two deer on the run with his 243 at 600 yds with a non dialing scope and no range finder.
    I just nodded my head.
    Worst thing was he actually believed his own story!

i have a very good mate who hails from the states..."used to shoot kiyotes with my 22magnum out to 600yards,dropped them in thier tracks,took a bull elk out at 1400yards with the 7mm mag"..the same 7mm mag he wont shoot cause it used to kick too much,untill I added close to pound of lead up its butt....
    doesnt dial or use range finder...for sake of harmony I roll my eyes and change conversation.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    i have a very good mate who hails from the states..."used to shoot kiyotes with my 22magnum out to 600yards,dropped them in thier tracks,took a bull elk out at 1400yards with the 7mm mag"..the same 7mm mag he wont shoot cause it used to kick too much,untill I added close to pound of lead up its butt....
    doesnt dial or use range finder...for sake of harmony I roll my eyes and change conversation.
    Not much else you can do!
    The more I know about longrange shooting the more skeptical I become of these stories.
    The reality is that yes the odd time people pull of a long shot but unless they have the knowledge and the gear with every thing validated I call it a fluke!

My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by TARGEX View Post
    will be more of the 80gr Targex eventually but have to wait till Bergers have more of their J4 jackets available for me to be able to make them.
    Its been a weird few years!
    Cheers
    I bags the first 300
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Does anyone have any experience with Nosler 60 grain ballistic tips on deer (which shoot exceptionally well in my Kimber Montana). As opposed to the 55grainers they have a slight cannelure which may or may not make a difference re how they hold together. I’m a bit worried they might be a bit too soft. Thanks!

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    [QUOTE=huntsika;1441125]Does anyone have any experience with Nosler 60 grain ballistic tips on deer (which shoot exceptionally well in my Kimber Montana). As opposed to the 55grainers they have a slight cannelure which may or may not make a difference re how they hold together. I’m a bit worried they might be a bit too soft. Thanks![/QUOTE
    @7mmsaum

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

They go ok on crease shots behind foreleg. Heavier base than v-max for example and get better penetration. Only used one box on deer/goats before reverting back to Hornady 55gr SP, they do the job and cheaper high volume shooting.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huntsika View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Nosler 60 grain ballistic tips on deer (which shoot exceptionally well in my Kimber Montana). As opposed to the 55grainers they have a slight cannelure which may or may not make a difference re how they hold together. I’m a bit worried they might be a bit too soft. Thanks!
    @7mmsaum
    7mmsaum likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.