Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree5560Likes

Thread: 223 on deer

I have just worked up a load for the 77 in my Tikka and tried seating at LOA to fit in a standard Tikka vs my Waterman mag seated at 20 thou off the lands.
    Both shot around 1/2 moa so have gone for the 20 thou load as it's less compressed.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    I’m chasing some loading advice in regards to the 77gr TMK projectiles.
    Are they picky when it comes to how far they like to be jumped to the lands ?
    My hope is to seat them out as far as the magazine will allow ( my rifles have reasonably long throats ) to maximise the available case capacity.
    Some projectiles can be very touchy when it comes to how far they want to be jumped , what’s your guys opinions and findings when it comes to the 77gr TMK .
    I’ve tried them at -20 thou and at mag length, made no discernible difference for me. I’m using 8208 with the 77s as it’s easier to get enough in the case vs 2206h. Using 06h with 80 ELD-M though as they seat a lot longer.

I have a Schultz & Larsen in 223 with a 1:8 twist which shoots 64g Winchester XP Deer Season Extreme Point very accurately (when I'm in form). The last deer shot was a buck at close to 200 metres, which is the longest shot I've made with this rifle. My shot placement wasn't as good as it could have been (although the buck didn't move much after being shot), as the beast needed another shot to dispatch it to its maker.
    Tahr, Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMis View Post
    I have a Schultz & Larsen in 223 with a 1:8 twist which shoots 64g Winchester XP Deer Season Extreme Point very accurately (when I'm in form). The last deer shot was a buck at close to 200 metres, which is the longest shot I've made with this rifle. My shot placement wasn't as good as it could have been (although the buck didn't move much after being shot), as the beast needed another shot to dispatch it to its maker.
    Beautiful rifle.
    NoMis likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post

I’ve been doing some research today and I think you’re right .
    I’ve swapped the 75’s for the 73’s , the Shop didn’t care .
    How are the 73's going?
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    How are the 73's going?
    I only shot one small Pig with them , so that’s not exactly an in-depth trial of their performance.
    It was quartering away at about 150 yrds and the Pig died instantly . I didn’t do an autopsy because it was left where it lay because the Pigs here QLD shouldn’t really be eaten particularly in summer because their diet consist mainly on carrion and just nasty stuff .

The 73gr shot very well in my Howa with a load of 22.8gr 2206H / 2.34 oal .
    I’ve no idea how fast they were going , but I’ve recently got a MagnetoSpeed chronograph, so I should load up some more and check their speed .
    Lately I’ve been concentrating on Dingoes and have been using Hornady 53gr VMax projectiles, they fly fast and flat and are excellent for that task
    Tahr and Shearer like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

64GR Winchester deer season slays them.
    Tahr, viper and NoMis like this.

Ive just seen this for sale. Would be good for the non-hand loader.

https://www.deltamike.co.nz/product/...rem-20-rounds/
    Trout, Shearer and Micky Duck like this.
    - Rumi

Not a deer but a young sow I shot yesterday at 100m with a 73gn ELD-M. Thought people may be interested in the autopsy photos.
    Name:  IMG_3958[1].JPG
Views: 473
Size:  5.02 MB
    Pig.
    Name:  IMG_3959[1].JPG
Views: 489
Size:  2.02 MB
    Entry.
    Name:  IMG_3960[1].JPG
Views: 488
Size:  2.03 MB
    Exit
    Name:  IMG_3961[1].JPG
Views: 443
Size:  1.60 MB
    Exit hole in skin.
    Name:  IMG_3962[1].JPG
Views: 481
Size:  2.04 MB
    Entry wound behind the shoulder (30mm diameter hole).
    The small exit hole in the skin suggests to me that the main core of the projectile was still intact. I only found one small shard of jacket in the wound.
    Nathan F, Tahr, veitnamcam and 6 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

man I drooling looking at that prime pork...apple sauce and hoe into it.....scoffemupdelishimo
    Shearer and yeah_na_missed like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Beautiful rifle.
    Unsurprisingly, I am in full agreement with your estimation (and the Sufi Rumi quote is another with which I concur).
    Tahr likes this.

First post. Loving this 223 thread. Been using a suppressed Browning BLR in 223 for bush hunting over my indicating dog Kai. He's a viszla/gsp cross about 3 years old. Acquired the rifle late last year inspired partially by this thread and my love of things that don't go bang too loud. That and sick of dropping my much loved Sako in 7mm08 which is now my dedicated mountain rifle (as it rightly deserves). Been getting a bit of flack from mates about running this calibre on deer. But hasn't been a problem with a few sika and red deer hitting the deck since.

Initially found the Hornady SP 55g shot the most consistent groups through the rifle compared to Winchester SP 64g, but taken animals with both. First batch of Sako Gamehead 55g wouldn't fire (primer?), but 6 months later acquired another box and it groups superbly and anchors animals. Found the Sako Gamehead excellent in both 223 and 7mm08 calibres on game in the bush.

A wee spiker Kai found just before dark at 12 yards up a deep gut staring down at us:
    Name:  Kai 1.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  3.88 MB

The top 3 shots are Winchester 64g at 60y, using a Red Dot. The bottom 3 are the Sako, and a correction the shot closest. More than enough for bush encounters.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Snoppernator View Post
    First post. Loving this 223 thread. Been using a suppressed Browning BLR in 223 for bush hunting over my indicating dog Kai. He's a viszla/gsp cross about 3 years old. Acquired the rifle late last year inspired partially by this thread and my love of things that don't go bang too loud. That and sick of dropping my much loved Sako in 7mm08 which is now my dedicated mountain rifle (as it rightly deserves). Been getting a bit of flack from mates about running this calibre on deer. But hasn't been a problem with a few sika and red deer hitting the deck since.

Initially found the Hornady SP 55g shot the most consistent groups through the rifle compared to Winchester SP 64g, but taken animals with both. First batch of Sako Gamehead 55g wouldn't fire (primer?), but 6 months later acquired another box and it groups superbly and anchors animals. Found the Sako Gamehead excellent in both 223 and 7mm08 calibres on game in the bush.

A wee spiker Kai found just before dark at 12 yards up a deep gut staring down at us:
    Attachment 225601

The top 3 shots are Winchester 64g at 60y, using a Red Dot. The bottom 3 are the Sako, and a correction the shot closest. More than enough for bush encounters.
    You will only get flack from the ignorant. Keep on culling them...
    Tahr, Trout, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

AI ---------- Artificial Ignorance

I dont really who uses what,as long as the deer get dropped.