Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: 22lr vs goat

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    In our younger days we shot hundreds of Goats down Awakino and found them ok so long as you were close no more than 50 odd yards and hit them in the head or neck. Body shots like lungs and heart tended to have them run a bit and it paid to get a few more rounds into them.
    If you can afford a centerfire like a 222, 223 or similar you will be good to go. If the 22 is the only option go for it but pick your shots don't stretch your barrel that's when you will end up with wounded animals. Power Point is good ammo for the job.
    cheers, thinking of getting a sks in 223 for the goats if i feel like the .22 is not enough

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    A bolt action will be better for a new shooter

Quote Originally Posted by faregame View Post
    A bolt action will be better for a new shooter
    And probly safer too.
    Ya can't park there mate.

Iv used a 22 a few times not ideal I found that if you are with other guys that have higher powered rifles they tend to start shooting a lot sooner than the man with a 22 !! , 22magnums are pretty handy on goats 100 meter shots , but ud probably get more use out of a 223 etc if you are wanting to shoot a deer or 2 down the track.

MB
    Personally, I wouldn't. Not saying it can't be done, but I've seen too many possums get up and walk away after being shot in the neck/shoulders to even try it.

top of the neck is a good spot at under 50m.. close to the ear

practice on rabbits first.
    anthony likes this.

If i could come with you i would lend you my 223 and give you some ammo i got given 250 rounds so a bit to burn

I always like to hit a goat in the head with my .22, like most big game animals they are hard to kill. This one was front on.
    Take your time and make sure each shot is well placed. When culling I use a bigger calibre, chosen based on potential ranges.

.243 would be my pick, gives you more options with range and other bigger species, although the .223 is cheap to run up close...
    They're a great animal to learn to hunt on, I personally don't enjoy eating them.
    anthony likes this.

A billy with gonads that size would be both poor eating and unpleasant to process. Nothing like billy goat piss on ya..
    I just use them for catfood but my hunting buddy gets me to harvest a young nanny occasionally for curries. He reckons they're primo

I shot quite a few goats as a teenager with a rimfire but you get too many that refuse to die quickly. Nothing more pathetic than a wounded goat bleating- sounds like a baby. Get a .223 is my suggestion.
    outlander likes this.

MB
    i have used the young animals for roasts and curries. very similar to lamb, but zero fat. not a good thing in my opinion, but certainly not bad eating.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    A billy with gonads that size would be both poor eating and unpleasant to process.
    strangely ( to me ) the Indian drivers i work with in my weekend job prefer the stinky old Billys, tastier apparently . .. i cut them up at arms length and bag them so i don't stink out the truck

R.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

young goat slow roasted at a very low heat over an open fire, just coals, is a delicacy. Follow through with baked spud, pumpkin, parsnip etc.. made in heaven.
    Last edited by headcase; 06-06-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    sometimes, Steve123 and WallyR like this.

Yep the old .22s a bit on the light side for goats, even a .303 with exarmy ball amo has a hard job knocking them over, goes straight through . A .223 or .243w would be the way to go and with a centre fire cartridge you can get the empty cases reloaded.
    outlander likes this.

I've shot plenty of goats with 22lr and even with high powered airguns (PCP). Good shot placement and a close in stalk is the key, they drop very well with a side on brain shot. I used to shy away from eating the stinky Billy's but decided to curry the last few and they were delicious! Even the back steaks on the BBQ were good with no hint of Billy flavor.

Dougie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    I've shot plenty of goats with 22lr and even with high powered airguns (PCP). Good shot placement and a close in stalk is the key, they drop very well with a side on brain shot. I used to shy away from eating the stinky Billy's but decided to curry the last few and they were delicious! Even the back steaks on the BBQ were good with no hint of Billy flavor.

That first pic is really cool, I love the colour combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mintie likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt