Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: .270 or 7mm-08?

Im a .270 fan myself...is the 25-06 poked??? or just not your cuppa tea?????
    you could rebarrel it into .270 or .280 or 30/06 easy enough
    if you are a reloader all are good options if factory fodder is you .270 or 30/06 will be safer bet as easier to find.
    how much longer do you want to be shooting?????
    put out some 3ltr plastic milk bottles filled with water and see how you go with what you have now,you may be surprised.
    Yukon likes this.

I bought my first rifle Remington 700 in 7mm08, i ended up selling it and getting a .270 as it didnt have enough knock down for me on reds out past 250m. When i shoot animals i like them to drop where they are and stay dead, not get up and bugger off into the bush.

Just my 2c though, i know some people who are comfortable with using 7mm08 on deer out to 500+m.

Just stick with the 25-06 a good 120 will do all you need.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    I bought my first rifle Remington 700 in 7mm08, i ended up selling it and getting a .270 as it didnt have enough knock down for me on reds out past 250m. When i shoot animals i like them to drop where they are and stay dead, not get up and bugger off into the bush.

Just my 2c though, i know some people who are comfortable with using 7mm08 on deer out to 500+m.
    Ballistically, The difference between the two is only about 100 fps with 140gr bullets and that's not going to make any difference to a deer. As usual it comes down to projectile selection and shot placement.
    gadgetman, McNotty and Micky Duck like this.

Mate what ever cal you choose some people are going to give you stick for it and others will think you have got the best cal out. Probably because they shoot that cal. Take on board what others are saying and then decide for yourself.
    25/08IMP and hamsav like this.

daz
    Some realy great advice here, thanks all for the replys!

after using a 270 with all its faults i went to a 222 vixen,,at the end of the day i learned that its the projectile that actually does the job,,get that right and youre on the way to being a better killer on animals
    for what its worth i found the 150 grainers better killers,,sd is the answer in my experience

my vote would be 7mm08. A wider range of pills.

.270 all the way mate shoots flat moderate recoil and a slight step up from the 25-06 7mm08 wouldn't touch for longer range doesn't have the hitting power.But each to there own

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk
    Yukon likes this.

What is far more important than calibre would be fit. Does your 25/06 fit? Is it doing anything wrong? If not, then really consider why you want to change. I will never be the one to say you shouldn't buy what you want and if you want another calibre that is your call completely, but I also work on "If it aint busted, dont fix it". And the 25/06 is a very capable calibre. What distance are you trying to shoot at? 200m? 300m? If you compare ballistics between the 270, 30/06, 308, 7mm08 and the 25/06 there is not alot between them that cannot be accounted for by good shot placement. All will take animals out to 200m relatively easily, and 300m or 400m if the rifle is accurate. (if its not accurate then a cannon would not be enough....)

My suggestion is look at wha you want and consider things like
    Is ammo availability important? -Will you be reloading or buying your ammo?
    Is price important?
    and most important- What do YOU want out of it...?
    HUNTY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Feebz View Post
    my vote would be 7mm08. A wider range of pills.
    Yeah but you only use one at a time. :-)

And look, maybe you havent, but people just keep quoting this on the internet, because they have read it some where. There's enough good projectiles out there to get most decent .270 shooting well an killing animals. With mine I shot steel out to 600 yards and deer to 400 yards.

And does it really matter what calibre he buys? A good man should own a lot of rifles over his life; you grow out of one calibre and move to another or buy the latest trendy calibre (confessions of a .284 owner!).
    Last edited by craigc; 21-08-2015 at 09:17 AM.
    outdoorlad, Grunta and GWH like this.

Depends where you live? If your in the South Island get the mans gun 270, if your in the North island a 308, if you drink lattes get a 7-08.

I use a 270 & 7-08, they both kill well if you use appropriate projectiles for the job at hand.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

get a 270 if you have a tendency to wear a G banger
    Gibo likes this.

Bloody hell.

There is less difference between a 7mm08, 270 and 25-05 than there is between a soft point and ballistic tip.

Anyone telling you different is lying. If you need more knockdown, get a better bullet, when thats not enough, get a case with more powder AND a bigger bore.

So much bullshit out there.

Chris
    veitnamcam and BRADS like this.

The bigger cases do make more noise though!