Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: .280ai on Red Deer

Walking my rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by CBH Australia View Post
    @NewbieZAR I will always have a .308 hunting rifle. It just works but as I got older, nearly 50 I've tried to get a couple of options for specific uses, and better glass.
    Of 3 hunting rifles the .308 me ght be the one I would hand my son or loan to a mate. The .280ai was specifically to be lightweight and because as few things fell in place but then I took a job in town again, hence no feild use yet.
    Not doubting cartridge or myself but interested in what others have experienced.
    I will use the .308 again but I'm hoping to hunt with the .280ai this time.
    The .300wm is a heavier rifle, scope and mounts. No big deal but the lightweight was intended to be regular carry
    the 280AI will do all you need mate. out to a very very long way away
    CBH Australia likes this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuidog View Post
    If you're coming down to the south east of SA for April and hunting rutting fallow in the Mallee knobs your shots will be as close as 10m. Red deer aren't hard to kill so the 280ai with the which ever bullet you have will be fine.
    Thanks,
    Yeah, might be somewhere like that.
    I've shot Fallow quite opportunistically and taken the meat.
    My mate is a seasoned deer hunter and wants a trophy. So I'm along for the ride, a new experience, a bit of meat.

If you run out I have 300 Nosler 120 Grain BT's.
    Micky Duck and CBH Australia like this.

280AI and VX3 is perfect for NZ
    CBH Australia likes this.

My 280ai 24in bbl runs 2980 fps with N560 & 162AMAX .... so about 20 -30 fps slower than 7mmRM. Bare rifle weighs 6lbs. I run 150gn Swift Sirocco or 150gn Partitions (> 3000 fps) for close up bush hunting and the 162 AMAX for 300+ yards. Have not used 150 NBTs in 280ai or RM ... they should be fine down range, but perhaps a bit soft for up close stuff ?
    Nakihunter and CBH Australia like this.

Mate has shot tahr out to 1100yds with his 280ai so am sure you will have no issue knocking over whatever you see

A little update on my .280ai.

I went for that hunt in South Australia. We did not see Reds or have any confirmation they were on the place my mate has access too but they might travel through or be around.

We saw, hunted and shot Fallow. It seems Fallow are the fastest spreading Deer species in Australia. They might well be spreading and increasing in number.

Having a proven load with Woodleigh 140gn ppsp projectiles I used those initially.

I heart shot a Doe and headshot a couple of smaller ones for meat.

I also shot 2 others with Hammer Projectiles. Causing major damage and clean kills.

I was able to meet another fella I met through a forum and hunted with him. He suggested we meet at a Fallow deer spot he knows well. (Public Land )

I shot the only Deer we saw. A spiker. I gave Russell one of the backstrap s and it all he wanted from the meat.

We hope to get together in Sambar country sometime.

I have faith in the .280ai, I would like to hunt NZ with it being it is a lightweight rifle. Sadly it means the .308 and .300wm haven't been out in a while.

Plan is to start hunting a bit more or at least get back out and cull some pigs.

Nakihunter
    I just saw this.

I built a 280 AI more than 15 years ago on a Sako Finbear L61R action with Douglas barrel 24 inches.

It shoots very well with anything from 140 gr to 160 bullets. Velocity of 140gr is round 3200 fps and with 160 gr Nosler Accubond & N560 I get 3000 fps as per Nosler book load.

I have shot fallow deer at over 300 meters and finished a mate's wounded animal at over 400 meters.