Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 300 win mag or 7mm Rem mag

3200 seems high for a 162.
    BRADS and Danny like this.

Fulla
    Yeah 154sst Superformance 26 inch barrel I was getting 3150.
    Now shoot the amax

Do NOT go 300wm on the super lite, i cannot stress this enough, i have the 300 in lite and it can only string 3 round every 30 minutes, barrel heats up like a fire. If youll be needing more than 3 shots 300 WM in lite wouldnt work either, once you cook a barrel she is dam near useless. Just my two cents,
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

I had a savage 300wm stainless hunter that was very accurate (for a hunter). Easy 1" at 100m with the right ammo and less with hand loads. After the first 5 shots it really started to heat up and groups got bigger but not by much. Can't see 7mm being much different. You would be lucky to fire more than 3 shots in a string while hunting anyway. Although I haven't had a RM yet I bet 74 grains of 2209 pushing a 150grain pill in 300wm at 3200fps against 74 grains of AR2225 pushing a 140grain pill in 7mmRM at 3100 would be similar in the heat/recoil area.

Be aware the T3 mag is short for those cartridges so they cannot be loaded to their full potential and still fit the magazine.
    I have a T3 300wm that shoot really well. I have fitted a laminated stock and limb saver. It now weighs 8.2lbs ready to go and is comfortable to shoot (although I wouldn't want to spend the day on the range with it).
    I have 2 loads for it, a long range single feed load and a mag fit close range (<300m) load.
    Works for me.
    If you know what species you will be hunting on a particular trip then I am sure you could get a load to suit.
    Pengy likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

30 Cal has a wider selection of projectiles if you are a hand loader.

Other wise the deer will not notice the difference.

Load some or get someone on here or local to develop some lightweight 125/130gr loads for Fallow.

300 Win gets my vote.

Good luck.

+1 for the mag limits on T3's, you'll end up single feeding bullets in order to get the optimal seating depth. I would also not recommend either option in any superlite rifle. Apart from the barrel heat up - which will be really bad with a suppressor - you are likely to find shooting accurate groups is very challenging due recoil in a very light weight rifle. For this reason I'd steer towards the 7mmRM in a lighter rifle set up (less recoil). But better option would be a rifle with a heavier barrel contour (#3 or more) and a better stock (like B&C or HSPrecision or a CF one). You want a very stable platform for accuracy and dealing with recoil. The standard Tikka stocks are not the best in that regard. 30 cal is going to be better for Samba so the other option you should consider in 300wsm - recoil is closer to 7mmRM and in 165 - 180 gn 30cal pills the performance is pretty much same as 300wm. The short action also allows translates a shorter (& lighter if u want) rifle for a 23 - 24 in barrel.

Caretaker
    A 300 win mag with 178/208 Amax is user friendly in a heavier platform when unbraked and non suppressed

The rem mag is fine in a Finnlight or ultralight.

deer243 and DanS like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Rate them, granted my mate and I havent put it through anything as yet, but was bloody accurate and was highly recommended by a number of people.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm planning on changing the stock to a manners I think so that will add a lite bit of weight . I'm planning on making a trip to NZ from over here in OZ one day , what's the go with bringing ammo on the plane or would I just buy factory ammo when I get there. Cheers

Thanks dans but it will just be for hunting so I shouldn't cook the barrel .

Most airlines allow 5kg of ammo. You'll need to check with the airlines first. Make sure the headstamp on the brass matches the calibre on the rifle, have it in a proper ammo case (check with airline as to what they allow). Don't tell them it is handloaded.
    Tall timber likes this.