Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 300blackout/subsonics/suppressor for bush/goat

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a sub rifle just use a decent .308 Win the standard barrel twist will stabilise the 151HP cast bullet at 1050 fps mine has a 1:13" twist
    loaded with 8.5 grains of Trail Boss shoots 12mm groups at 50 metres and 30mm at 100,
    You will not save weight or bulk with a factory rifle in 300 BLK they are build on the same action, you should be able to pickup a good SH .308 on TM and get a DPT can fitted for less
    than the cost of a rebarrel, if you run it with cast bullets the barrel will last forever.
    The good thing about going down a standard shortened 308win path for subs is if shooting subsonic isn't your thing, you're still got a 308win bushpig for normal bush hunting use and easy enough to resell.

look forward @tikka to hearing how you get on with the 2 types of bullets

you probably know this already but i will mention it - make sure ALL copper fouling is out of the barrel if you want the best from cast.

R.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Yes roger that on copper fouling.

Just got back from the range testing the Lehigh 168gr CF and the 151gr cast HP.
    Getting sub MOA at 100m with the Lehigh 168gr CF/ 9.1gr of ADI AR2205 with a 2.250 OAL at 1024fps and a ES of 8fps. All good for now just need to test a distance once I get the 151gr cast sorted.

Quite impressed with the 151gr cast HP, the first couple of 5 shot groups I got 1" at 60m but still need a bit of play around with seating, I also had to weight the cast bullets into 3 different batch's as they were 3gr out at most. More testing for the next few days while the weathers calm and should be ready to kill some critters. Another thing its seems bit quieter than the heavy weight 194gr + projectiles.
    rossi.45 likes this.

cheers @tikka

i like the sound of 8fps ES . . . look forward to hearing more on your progress with cast

R.

I'm way out of touch, but I shelved my sub sonic because it sucked. Pretty hopeless rifle compared to a .223 or any other centrefire high velocity rifle.

I was given some Leigh bullets to try, and unfortunately to be honest I haven't. Apparently these change the game considerably, making the subs act like full power rounds. One day I'll get around to trying them, but in reality I don't have much need for subs.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...he-rifle-7494/

Shame as I like the concept, but a silenced .223 isn't much louder and is far more impressive in comparison.

Kj
    A330driver likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a sub rifle just use a decent .308 Win the standard barrel twist will stabilise the 151HP cast bullet at 1050 fps mine has a 1:13" twist
    loaded with 8.5 grains of Trail Boss shoots 12mm groups at 50 metres and 30mm at 100,
    You will not save weight or bulk with a factory rifle in 300 BLK they are build on the same action, you should be able to pickup a good SH .308 on TM and get a DPT can fitted for less
    than the cost of a rebarrel, if you run it with cast bullets the barrel will last forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    The good thing about going down a standard shortened 308win path for subs is if shooting subsonic isn't your thing, you're still got a 308win bushpig for normal bush hunting use and easy enough to resell.
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    I'm way out of touch, but I shelved my sub sonic because it sucked. Pretty hopeless rifle compared to a .223 or any other centrefire high velocity rifle.

I was given some Leigh bullets to try, and unfortunately to be honest I haven't. Apparently these change the game considerably, making the subs act like full power rounds. One day I'll get around to trying them, but in reality I don't have much need for subs.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...he-rifle-7494/

Shame as I like the concept, but a silenced .223 isn't much louder and is far more impressive in comparison.

Kj

Very interesting comments! Subsonic .308 for bush/close/goat work, and regular rounds for deer should I ever get the opportunity. The only subsonic rounds I can find for sale in NZ are Lapua 200g. I would probably buy a Tikka (yes, boring) which has a twist of 1/11. Would this work or is it bad idea?

Definitly get a tikka. Really easy to swap mags from subsonic to supersonic ammo.
    Make your own subsonic ammo. Trailboss and shooternz (?) 151 gr cast projectiles or get the brasso out and buy some lehigh subsonic projectiles.
    1 in 11" twist should stabilise 150gr projectiles. You only need the really fast twist for the 200+ gr projectiles.

Get a scope with a BDC reticle so you can use the hash marks for the subsonic loads.
    I worked up sub sonic loads in my 708, they are about 15" low at 100yds.
    Tommy and MB like this.

MB
    cheers stug. what i should have said in my last post is that i don't reload and it's not something i want to get in to right now. never enough time! hence my interest in the lapua rounds.

https://www.guncity.com/308-lapua-20...-rounds-313906

Lapua Ammo 308 Winchester Subsonic 200 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of

Forget about the lapua round other than for plinking and paper target. Your preys deserve better than that , ie Lehigh or cast consciensously reloaded.
    shooternz likes this.

MB
    Really Friwi? For close range goats? There is another thread going on about 22LR for the same purpose. If you stand by your comment, then fair enough. I'm learning and don't want maim anything.

I tried many combinations of bullets, then I went mad scientist and drilled hollow points in them, cut flutes in the jackets, used cast bullets, tried shooting them loaded backwards....you name it, I tried it....except the Leigh bullets, which someone on this forum generously gave me to try, but by that stage my enthusiasm for this rifle had run out.

My conclusion was sub sonics will kill, great for head shots if you hit brain, but average at anything else. For lung shots, expect a long find as the animal will run a long way before dying (similar, but slightly further than a bow shot animal, but with way less blood to follow).

Not trying to burst any bubbles, but in reality - unless you were poaching and didn't want anyone to know you're shooting there (no I'm not condoning), I'd choose a high velocity rifle any day over a sub sonic.
    MB likes this.

MB
    cheers kimjon. do you think the same applies to 300BLK? btw, i'm no poacher. one of the farms i shoot on has a few goats on it. the owner absolutely doesn't want any loud guns being fired in case it upsets the livestock. his land, his choice. he asked me to clear out a load of turkeys. i said OK, i'll bring my 12g semiauto. he said no, so i have been limited to thinning them out with my 22LR. get half a dozen each time, then they move on.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    cheers kimjon. do you think the same applies to 300BLK? btw, i'm no poacher. one of the farms i shoot on has a few goats on it. the owner absolutely doesn't want any loud guns being fired in case it upsets the livestock. his land, his choice. he asked me to clear out a load of turkeys. i said OK, i'll bring my 12g semiauto. he said no, so i have been limited to thinning them out with my 22LR. get half a dozen each time, then they move on.
    Yeah same applies to 300blk. Totally understand the want/need for a quiet rifle, I made mine for similar reasons...plus they are just so dam cool! It's just the reality didn't live up to the hype.
    MB likes this.

over blown hype . . but the reverse is also true . . people put a little effort into it and then give-up with " the cartridge is useless etc "

subsonic shooting requires great care and patience, in the loading, bullet selection etc and especially in the shooting, when not to shoot, what are the limits . . you need your A game or you are going to be disappointed.

if you put the hard yards in, that means time, cash and learning, you will be more than a 50yrd shooter of subs . . success can be had at hundreds of yards . . if your up to it
    300CALMAN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    Really Friwi? For close range goats? There is another thread going on about 22LR for the same purpose. If you stand by your comment, then fair enough. I'm learning and don't want maim anything.
    If, you want, we can organise a weekend where I will bring my rifle all set up with the 150 gr HP sub, and you do the shooting and I'll do the spotting and ranging for you, and you will be able to see for yourself what are the results on those goats.
    Pm me if you are interested.