Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: .307/Tangihuas

Had one of these 307’s not long after they came out to scratch an itch. Used my model 88 in 308 more so got rid of the ‘94, nice rifle but not really into straight grips. Still got the 88, can’t see myself parting with it.
    Micky Duck and Ranger 888 like this.

I recently took the daughter for a quick overnighter up the Tangihuas recently. the goat numbers seemed a bit thinned out. does anyone know if theres been any culling done recently?

the spot i shoot on over on the western side has been cleaned out. was last there in early June and saw none, prior to that every time i would see 10-20 plus more up high on the slip faces in the DOC part. block I shoot is separated from the doc land by a couple of hundred meters under someone else's ownership who's not friendly with the guy that gives me access.
    Z

Went this weekend and a couple times I was glassing mobs of about 3-8 goats from ridge to ridge, they're still there.
    I'm more of a close range hunter and ended up walking out with one tiny kid and one 25kg ish hog, from this general area : Name:  Screenshot_20220901-070020_NZTopo50N.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  881.7 KB
    Dorkus, MB, Russian 22. and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    keep all your empty cases,and when finances are good buy more ammunition....plenty of good folk around who do reload and IM GUESSING with correct shellholder .308 dies will do the trick....every man and his dog has set of .308 dies. it would be simple matter to make up good loads cheaply for you with the right bits on hand. less than $1 a shot sure beats over $3
    308 dies and 30/30 shellholder to reload.
    Slightly under 308 max loads
    Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

might try the eastern end of the range next time i head up. I glassed a few piggys up there too back in the winter.

The tangihuas have quickly become my favorite hunting spot, no idea why it gets a bad rap but I'm happy because it means more for me haha.
    Reason number 1 is I am currently sending this from my hammock halfway up the mountain with a good view of the tower, very good signal pretty much everywhere.
    Reason number 2 is I have had a 100% success rate with this place, I even got a piggie without dogs. I've just grabbed a decent sized Billy in time for dinner.
    Reason number 3 is there's nobody here. There were no cars in the northern parking lot, haven't seen any boot tracks except for some dog prints that looked a few days old, and I popped into the hut a couple hours ago and no sign of anyone there since a few days ago atleast. Pretty sure I have the entire 3000 acres to myself right now .
    It's a cool place guys.

Also this 1918 No.1 mk3 cost me $70 and is the most accurate .303 I've ever owned!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dantheman; 03-12-2022 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Good one. I was told the access was gone at that end. Geeze it gets nasty steep over the west ridge.
    dennis deeming sold up I think. I have the landline for the farm. but never went back as it is not worth the drive for me. iirc the farmer just wants to know the rego numbers and how many people are crossing his place.

I think I should go for a drive and knock on the farmers door. Have not been up there for a long time.
    It's close to home and makes for a nice day hunt.
    Z

You can get his number from whangarei doc office, bloke called Mark, he has never said no to me just wants to know who you are and what your in/out times are.

Shot my first goat up there, this place holds some great memories for me as a young guy trying to figure out hunting, the numbers really dropped off late 2000's. I believe allot of culling went on and I have never really been back. Some of the creeks are amazing but steep and scrubby country for sure. My son just spent a couple of nights up there fly camping and he mentioned the possums were thick.

Has anyone been up recently? Just wondering what goat numbers are like?

Got a 16” .44 Mag I want to try out!

Last I went was to the eastern side by horokaka track past the Pa site, heaps of pig sign hardly any goats.
    Time before that was to the western side by the hut had many more goats. Almost always hear them bleating on the north facing hillside if you walk in via the private property track. Hit the hut then either follow the stream to the west or to the east and you'll see some goat tracks to follow through the supplejack. This was in March.
    Would be a good place to test what .44 mag does to a possum...
    Last edited by dantheman; 04-06-2023 at 05:27 PM.