Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: 6.5 grandel

6.5 grandel

I shoot a 6.5 Swede mate of mine also wanted one but instead brought a 6.5 grandel any thoughts

Is the grandel the same as grendel only a couple of generations older?
    BRADS, Moa Hunter, Mathias and 3 others like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

sneakywaza I got
    Should have got a 6.5 Grandma instead, the Grandal is a flawed concept.........
    Moa Hunter, Mathias, rewa and 1 others like this.

Power wise the Swede has the advantage, but within its limits the Grendel should work fine.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    123gr at around 2400-2500 depending on barrel length. A bit behind the Swede but still very usable within its range limit.

Using the 123g factory loads effective range on deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Sr5dan View Post
    Much further than a 223

250m is what I would use mine to.

Past that and its my Pooseventy country.

Name:  IMG_4179.JPG
Views: 506
Size:  4.44 MB
    Bagheera, tetawa and 300CALMAN like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Much further than a 223

A customer was telling me today about shooting three Reds at 280+meters with a Grendel bolt action I built him a while ago with 125 SSTs, he really rates them, even taking it chasing Wapiti during the ballot

To be fair he is an exceptional shot, one of the best around in the competitions he competes in

Grendel

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Much further than a 223
    It's only a monster compared to the .223.

Compared to the 6.5x55 or even 260REM its not in the same class.

The place for the Grendel is if you must have a short action or want a light recoiling round for a light rifle.
    If you use a long (20") barrel, you may as well devote half an inch of action to a 308 class case and you'll get a lot more knockdown power.
    From a short barrel, you have terminal velocities down around 1800 fps at 200m so you need to be fussy what bullets you use.

So, it's a special purpose round like the .243, .22/250, 300BLK or at the other end the 300 WinMag and 7mmSTW.

Depends what he plans to hunt with it and whether he has got a big rifle as well.

Dogmatix has shown exactly what its place is.

About 7-8 years ago or thereabouts almost overnight this cartridge become really popular with my cuzzies in the central US. All of a sudden they were Grendelling this and Grendelling that and to be honest I didn’t have a clue what they were on about, had to look it up.

Remained pretty ignorant about it (couldn’t really see the point) until I visited last and had a go for myself. They have them in suppressed ARs and use them almost exclusively for head shooting feral hogs at night. Pop pop pop pop pop pop... Its very light recoiling and extremely accurate in a sorted AR rig. I don’t recall what bullets they were using. Far more knock down that a .223 and nowhere near as much drama as an AR-10. For a lightweight night time rig it was an excellent choice and I really really liked it.

I believe the one cuz now uses a 6.5 Grendel in a bolt rifle for close in whitetail deer stalking very successfully. Sub 100m kind of woods shooting, little-ish deer.

Just a few days ago in Taranaki we were using a tricked up AR15 for fallow and goats and I said I would prefer a Grendel over the .223 any day of the week. Cheap ammo would be a problem I would assume.
    Nugget connaisseur and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    About 7-8 years ago or thereabouts almost overnight this cartridge become really popular with my cuzzies in the central US. All of a sudden they were Grendelling this and Grendelling that and to be honest I didn’t have a clue what they were on about, had to look it up.

Remained pretty ignorant about it (couldn’t really see the point) until I visited last and had a go for myself. They have them in suppressed ARs and use them almost exclusively for head shooting feral hogs at night. Pop pop pop pop pop pop... Its very light recoiling and extremely accurate in a sorted AR rig. I don’t recall what bullets they were using. Far more knock down that a .223 and nowhere near as much drama as an AR-10. For a lightweight night time rig it was an excellent choice and I really really liked it.

I believe the one cuz now uses a 6.5 Grendel in a bolt rifle for close in whitetail deer stalking very successfully. Sub 100m kind of woods shooting, little-ish deer.

Just a few days ago in Taranaki we were using a tricked up AR15 for fallow and goats and I said I would prefer a Grendel over the .223 any day of the week. Cheap ammo would be a problem I would assume.
    Flyblown, any advantage over a 7.62x39 for those uses?
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I shoot a 6.5 Swede mate of mine also wanted one but instead brought a 6.5 grandel any thoughts
    What rifle for the grandel/Grendel?

Unless you want a ar15 type set up, the 6.5 swede is the winner.
    257weatherby and rewa like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Flyblown, any advantage over a 7.62x39 for those uses?
    Yes of course there is, the Grendel is All American star spangled specialness, and the 7.62x39 is a rubbish dirty commie round used by Democrats and homysexials.

I guarantee you that is what my cuz would say. Straight face and all.
    tetawa, Beaker, Steve123 and 2 others like this.