Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MSL
  • 1 Post By Freezer
  • 1 Post By specweapon
  • 1 Post By The Hunters Club

Thread: action video camera opinion?

action video camera opinion?

Opinion needed: wanting to buy a decent mid range 'action video camera'.... anyone recommend something decent ?? Or just go for a go pro hero?? A little hesitant as ive heard from a couple of people where their go pros bugger out after a short time ...

I think Go Pro is the best option due to the amount of accessories you can get for them.

Its definitely hard to beat the GoPro series of cameras. Even the older versions still provide great footage and they can be quite a bit cheaper than the new ones. If you do the research I think you'll find that even the feature-rich Garmin cameras are no match for the later versions of the GoPro Hero 4's.

I've come to the conclusion that a Hero 4+ Silver as your primary camera is a good compromise (cheaper than the "Black" and still has a wide range of excellent features) and then for any additional cameras you might need, just go for one or more of the older models.

My gopro 3 buggered out after its second go. Took it back and got the 3+ for my inconvenience. Bloody good cameras pretty hard to beat

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Brother in law just got a Go Pro and loves it. He has it harness mounted on his chest and finds it better than head or rifle mounted also has a remote control. Takes very nice pictures even under water when out after Kingi's, I think it is the Hero 4 model.

MSL
    Duct taped a camcorder to my bullbar
    mikee likes this.

Still got my GoPro2, and 3 Black. Lots of diving with them, and they have stood up to a lot of abuse for a long time.
    I've seen the later versions, and for the price, they were not worth upgrading to. Processing 4k video takes too long, so 1080p seems to be the sweet spot for me - both of the older GoPros do 1080 perfectly well.

I use a contour roam, its water proof as is which suits me perfectly. Not shortage of accessories online either
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

there was a bunch of reviews on the go pro alternatives lately, Best 10 GoPro Alternative Sports Action Cameras | GoProŽ Alternatives is one of them.

the alternatives are as good as and about 1/3 of the price.
    Sniper likes this.

I use the Contour Roam 2, can get from Amazon for under $150nzd shipped and quality is on par with the top model gopros, only disadvatage is having to use a computer to change the recording quality settings and change between photo/video, but I've never changed those settings so no great loss
    . Order the go pro adapter and can use any cheap gopro mounts. I prefer the on/off switch on the contour because you always know 100% whether its filming or not, have had mates with gopros miss entire recordings. Contours waterproof and have dived to 5m without the extra case designed for diving. I find the cylindrical shape mounts better than the go pro.

Would only consider upgrading to the tiny go pro session
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Contour and Sony have far better image quality. GOPRO have the best marketing team

Cameraman Dave
    If you can sit on your hands for a month or two, the new Garmin Virb that's coming is worth the wait. I've been test driving the new 4K model over the past fortnight and it's a huge step up on previous models. Can't give too much away, but I'll be choosing it ahead of my GoPro4 Black for our upcoming filming trips, records great audio even inside a housing which is a massive plus.
    BLABLANZ likes this.

Look at the drift ghost s. Used it for the past 2 years and easier to use than my go pro. Remote for video tagging is an awesome feature.