Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Advice, hunting dog

Throw away ya clocks and calendars, dogs can't tell the time or know what month it is.
    If your dog has the right mental strength you will be missing out of a lot hunting time waiting for a certain age.
    Find or make a training programme to suit and stick to it, obedience can be installed as early as they are able to take it.
    Just work around the natural things all pups go through.
    Last edited by kawhia; 17-07-2015 at 10:43 AM.
    mucko likes this.

Bloody awesome advice guys, appreciate it. At the moment he sits on command, and stays majority of the time, so I'm pretty stoked he's picked that up quickly, but yea in no rush to take him out. As ya said I've got plenty of time to develop him into a machine. Will be learning for the both of us

I'm also a fan of getting the basics rock solid then focus on training for deer after.
    Im training my 2nd deer dog (GWP x Vizsla x Lab) and he's taking alot longer than my Vizsla bitch did

Quote Originally Posted by mellowski View Post
    I've got some deer legs in the freezer, should I drag them along lawn and get him to find them ?
    i found with my wirehair, just the skin was good enough to drag around and chew, drag along the ground and hide it and getting my girl to track then hard core praising when the skin is found. my girl is still work in progress but she is learning everytime we hit the bush.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/