Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Advice for Northland goat hunter going after Kaweka sika

MB
    Back at sea level. That was an experience! Thanks for all the advice. I got very close, but not close enough. No deer were harmed during this adventure. In short, the climate broke me first, not that it was too cold or I didn't have adequate clothing, but it was hard to get right, climbing up a big incline one moment, then sitting still for up to an hour in freezing conditions. Going to have a think about how I do it next time. Second, those sika are cunning buggers (as everyone says!). Managed to get called in successfully by another hunter. His blue camo stood out well. Had a nice chat, got some more advice and all good. I'll be sending some GPS locations to Spud1986 who was more than generous with information.

Keep at @MB it will all come together one day soon.

MB
    Thanks. One more day in the area and think I would have actually seen something
    Micky Duck likes this.

MB
    Some photos, not of deer (obviously!). Nice country.

Maybe a heli sika block next time mb. For the roar there's much better options that BRB.
    We got out day before yesterday after nearly 3 wks in. Let a few go but was a reasonably quiet lstart to the roar with single calling only really starting in the last 5 days.
    Only shot one on last day. Saw 70 or so deer over that time but only 10 stags between us. Caught a good one on the trail cam and got close but couldn't quite get the shot before he spooked.

That's sika tho.
    matagouri, Chur Bay and MB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Back at sea level. That was an experience! Thanks for all the advice. I got very close, but not close enough. No deer were harmed during this adventure. In short, the climate broke me first, not that it was too cold or I didn't have adequate clothing, but it was hard to get right, climbing up a big incline one moment, then sitting still for up to an hour in freezing conditions. Going to have a think about how I do it next time. Second, those sika are cunning buggers (as everyone says!). Managed to get called in successfully by another hunter. His blue camo stood out well. Had a nice chat, got some more advice and all good. I'll be sending some GPS locations to Spud1986 who was more than generous with information.
    Next time try doing exactly the opposite to the above post from Micky Duck in regards to going so bloody slow. Get down into the bush and cover the country roaring as you go, don't be afraid of making a bit of noise if having to getting through some thick shit, just keep roaring as you go. Do this any time in April in bush that holds sika stags and I can assure you that you will have some close encounters with stags. Just make sure you'll ready to go as it will normally happen pretty quick...one minute you walking along letting out the odd roar and making a bit of noise pushing through some shit and next thing there's a stag standing in front of you, sometimes you will even hear them before you see them as they'll come crashing in looking for you.
    MB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Unfortunately hunting like that you are targeting young silly stags which haven't had a chance to mature. Harvest graphs show most stags get shot at two to three years old, because they act as you say. For the good of the herd, we should be refraining from shooting them.
    A big ask for someone who hasn't shot many stags though.
    Interesting. I find the exact opposite.

ebf
    @Friwi, that yellow chalk, do you mix anything with it or dilute it ? I picked some up at bunnings, but even when I shake the bottle pretty vigorously, it does not seem to create a fine cloud of chalk dust. Not sure what the correct term is : aerialize ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute